The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ripped these from SELOC a turbo'd hayabusa in an s1 elise, no one seemed to know if it was ever completed.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
That's a good picture of lashing it down with the wheel to reduce stress to the subframe.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
can't be pushing much more than 200 hp, right? Is the busa motor incredibly light weight or something (enough to make a difference, that is)?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I thought the Hayabusa motor was around ~150 hp and turbo setups approached ~300 crank hp.

It's not particularly light for a bike motor but it's only 1.3 liters... probably lighter than the Rover motor but I really have no idea.

Best,
John

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the standard busa motor is 175 or more hp. Turbo would be high 200s. The first production STOCK motorcycle to reach 200 mph in a roadtest.

Chris

·
Registered
587 Posts
Robert Puertas said:

That would be awesome in what is potentially a sub-1500 lbs. car.
Yeah, I would imagine putting the power down becomes the biggest problem.

I would imagine you would spin the wheels at nearly any highway-legal speed. Sounds like a blast...

- John

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
how much would this conversion cost? How reliable is this setup? Seems to me that this engine has good chance of failure.

if there is a turbo kit for a stock 1.3L - 180 hp, then why not for 2zz?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Not sure what the point is in an Elise with bike power. you'd have to lighten the chassis to help the clutch.
Radicals and Westie XTR use bike power , plus lots of grass specials in the UK, which is where the idea came from.
There's an English co called Holeshot who have a 400hp hayabusa powered real mini for their demo car.

An Elise with a cyclone Y40R engine would be fantastic. The Y40R is two YZF1000 heads and slugs in a common V crankcase. 302 horsepower at 10,000 rpm. 170 Lb/ft at 8500 sounds awfully good to me.
m

·
Registered
291 Posts
suv_bait said:
I thought the Hayabusa motor was around ~150 hp and turbo setups approached ~300 crank hp.

It's not particularly light for a bike motor but it's only 1.3 liters... probably lighter than the Rover motor but I really have no idea.

Best,
John
I'm not sure about the 1.3 Hayabusa, but I know for a fact the 1.0 R1 Engine is 75 lbs. I'd guess the busa is less than 100 lbs.

·
Registered
637 Posts
BrianK said:
can't be pushing much more than 200 hp, right? Is the busa motor incredibly light weight or something (enough to make a difference, that is)?
If I'm right, that's a busa 1.3 turbo making about 300bhp.

It was built for Geary.

Geary owns www.eliseparts.com. He's got a page for his projects - the link that talks about the car is at the bottom left: "projects".

Craigy

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Craigy said:
If I'm right, that's a busa 1.3 turbo making about 300bhp.

It was built for Geary.

Geary owns www.eliseparts.com. He's got a page for his projects - the link that talks about the car is at the bottom left: "projects".

Craigy
If so that car is making 500 BHP per ton:eek:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Derek said:
If so that car is making 500 BHP per ton:eek:
Yeah. That's just under what a McLaren F1 had (about 550bhp/ton) - though admittedly the 627bhp and fan assisted aerodynamic centre of pressure helped the big Mac rather a lot on it's way to 240mph at Ehra-liessen (yes, yes, they raised the tyre pressures and the revlimiter to allow that speed, but hey, that's a rather limited modification from standard trim!)

Craigy

·
Registered
803 Posts
pictures of another bike engined Elise

I just finished converting all the pictures on my site to a searchable database. As I was entering the pictures, I came across the ones I took of the bike engined Elise. A fellow Golden Gate Lotus Club member who's name I cannot spell (Kiyoshi?) brought it to the Palo Alto British Car meet.

It seemed to be an attempt to get by the import ban by turning the Elise into a kit car. I seem to remember rules in California making bike engined cars difficult to register so I do not know how successful he was getting permission to drive it on the street. On the other hand if you want to remove one wheel, bike engined trikes are legal!

The problem I saw with this particular conversion was the angle the half shafts needed to take when exiting the differential. One of the detail pictures I took shows this issue.

You can see the pictures by entering "bike" in the comment field of the picture search page:

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/pictures/edatabase/elisepicturesearch.php

(Note: the search feature is new, my first programming effort in 15 years, so may have bugs. Please let me know if you have difficulty.)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Re: pictures of another bike engined Elise

sandsmuseum said:
I just finished converting all the pictures on my site to a searchable database. As I was entering the pictures, I came across the ones I took of the bike engined Elise. A fellow Golden Gate Lotus Club member who's name I cannot spell (Kiyoshi?) brought it to the Palo Alto British Car meet.

It seemed to be an attempt to get by the import ban by turning the Elise into a kit car. I seem to remember rules in California making bike engined cars difficult to register so I do not know how successful he was getting permission to drive it on the street. On the other hand if you want to remove one wheel, bike engined trikes are legal!

The problem I saw with this particular conversion was the angle the half shafts needed to take when exiting the differential. One of the detail pictures I took shows this issue.

You can see the pictures by entering "bike" in the comment field of the picture search page:

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/pictures/edatabase/elisepicturesearch.php

(Note: the search feature is new, my first programming effort in 15 years, so may have bugs. Please let me know if you have difficulty.)
Hey - nice website (I've seen it before).

Craigy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts