The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Elise and guess I need new bushings for the front suspension. Had the tie rod ends and ball joints replaced last year, but now I have the squeaking sound again when I turn the steering wheel or go over a bump...so figure time for bushings. Was assuming polyurethane was way to go. Can someone point me to what I need to buy and place to get them without breaking the bank? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
If it's just a squeak and not play in the bushing, I'd try squirting some silicone bike chain lube into the joint. Or just enjoy the squeak.

If these are worn OEM bushings, there are many options from OEM-like to teeth-rattling.

Also if your ball joints needed replacing, you were long past needing wishbone bushings.

Incidentally, the bushing play is best diagnosed through poor tire wear under both street and track conditions. When mine were gone (early in my tracking days), I'd chord a set of rears in a day when they'd normally last 4/5 times longer (track day).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's just a squeak and not play in the bushing, I'd try squirting some silicone bike chain lube into the joint. Or just enjoy the squeak.

If these are worn OEM bushings, there are many options from OEM-like to teeth-rattling.

Also if your ball joints needed replacing, you were long past needing wishbone bushings.

Incidentally, the bushing play is best diagnosed through poor tire wear under both street and track conditions. When mine were gone (early in my tracking days), I'd chord a set of rears in a day when they'd normally last 4/5 times longer (track day).

Ya I would of replaced them when I did the other stuff but as usual didnt have the $ to do it at the time. I do have tire wear, but also no shims soooo.... car has 95.000 miles and probably original bushings. I will spray some lithium tomorrow, but Im sure I need new bushings. I have the sport pack and now drive on a slightly bumpy road 5 miles and cross a train track every day so dont need anything overly stiff, just wanted some longer lasting than rubber so polyethylene seems way to go. Where and what to get to do the front of the car (rear is ok for now) is what I need to know. The squeak is way to loud and embarrassing to live with lol.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
If you are mostly street driving, I'd avoid the stiff stuff and get the OEalt bushings from Shinoo at Inokinetic. If you feel like you want a tighter turn-in at speed, go for the hard polymer bushings from Blackwatch Racing or Eliseparts. I currently prefer them to the spherical-joint bushings (long story).

I'd also veture that if your front bushings are done, then your rears are twice done.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
It also occurs to me that the squeak is far more likely to come from the strut than the wishbone. Or even more likely from the door/window frame junction. Squeaks and leaks are a feature of English cars. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I see you have quite a few miles on your car. I had the tie rods replaced and all four bushings. The dealer installed Lotus OEM bushings. The car was very solid after those replacements.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Lots of options for bushings. One that doesn't get much advertising in the US are the ones from Komo-Tek in Germany. If you go on Ebay, you might find the most comprehensive view of what is out there short of the high-performance stuff from Inokinetic, BWR, etc. OEM, orange ones, purple ones...some more popular in Europe...some more popular in the USA. OEM are pretty inexpensive. I recently purchased the OEM ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts