The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car now has 30,000 miles and I don't think the previous owner gave it the easiest life. Since March though a number of interior and finish pieces have broken and degraded. The Elise is daily driven but I don't feel that I'm particularly hard on it but all these little expensive trim pieces causes the car to lose a little luster.

Interior center vent broke.

The trim piece on the left side of the steering wheel busted.

The light still works but the plastic reflector shattered.

The fuel door has sunk in and now requires a coin to open when refilling.

Though most of these minor annoyances are forgotten when passing 6200 RPM.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
alot of people do not realize that you have to be more care full with a lotus. when all the parts are designed to light they have less strength.

I am very care full with my lotus. I try to only use as much force as needed to do anything eg: open doors, use switches.

mine has 10000 miles on it and no problems with trim

Ed

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have 50k miles, and I don't think I treat mine very well. But, I haven't broken as much as you have. The gas cap is a little rubber bumper. I dont' think any of those parts would be very expensive, but i'm sure it adds up. lotusgarage.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
02 Face Level Vent
SKU: A117U6003F
$45.68
34a Lamp, side marker, front, RH
SKU: B121M0008F
$57.76
15a Rubber Buffer, flap to ring
SKU: A121B6006S
$2.19

Can't find that exact interior piece beside the steering wheel. The prices aren't terrible but I think I'll wait to break some more stuff before paying the $45.00 shipping to Hawaii. Hmm could pick up some spirenuts I stripped when removing the under-body access panel.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I've had my Elise for 3 years and 58,000 kms.

I've had a number of trim pieces that I needed to either glue or tighten. The only two items that needed replacement were:

1) A carpet button (broken)
2) A turn signal housing (crack in plastic cover)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Elise is fragile, yes

Have had my Elise for a year, bought it with 39K miles, now has 43K. During the year, the front signal light above my right wheel came out. One of the small front side grills came loose. Also, the start engine button LED went out. Some of the tire caps became loose. I repaired these and also did some maintenance (oil change, replaced brake pads on all 4 wheels, air filter change, speaker upgrade). The Elise is a fragile car, and I don't abuse it, I take good care of all my things. The important thing is, I enjoy working on it, and nothing has broken that can't be replaced....

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
For the gas cap buy a sulicone vaccuum plug for a couple cents and put it over nub on cap. Cut to fit

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I hate to say it, but from the looks of how dirty your poor car is it *might* be the way you're treating it...

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
What are you doing to it?

I've daily driven my Elise for the last 6 years and nothing inside has broken (front indicator has, but TADTS).

·
Back to the Future, again
6,175 Posts
The Elise can be a DD but it doesn't stand up to what people would deem "regular" usage that we subject other cars to. The trim pieces get scuffed up a lot easier and various parts can break or get out of alignment if you use the same force you do with other cars. Close the doors too hard and you will knock the hinges off alignment or even shatter the window. It happens.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mine has 30k. My steering wheel piece popped out also. Easy fix. Other then that the hardtop liner started to peel alittle.got some 3m adhesive. And the door stop/clamp/bolt came loose once. Simple retighten.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts