The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
New poster here... hoping for a little advice. I have been looking at the used Elise market for a while. Currently checking out a 2005 that has been sitting in storage for a long time, as far as I can tell. It has about 4k miles, was purchased new than serviced a couple times in the first two years, then no evidence of service or any activity since. The car has the original tires, fronts manufactured in early 2004, rears in late 2004.

The car is currently on consignment... it was sitting with the battery dead when I found it... had to be jumped to start but started on the first try. Obviously a car like this hasn't been used enough to suffer a lot of wear, but I am worried about the car essentially rotting out (in rough terms) from lack of use/care... wondering about fluids, seals, and certainly new tires are in order.

Any one have opinions? Worth the risk? Run like heck?

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
380 Posts
Jay,

I bought my 05 last January in a very similar condition with 2.5k miles. The vehicle was inspected once by a dealer in SoCal with flying colors and when I brought her home to Vegas by another Lotus dealer... zero issues. I had no problems with dry rot on the tires since the car was a garage queen (just replaced the original tires last week after 9.5k miles). The only thing changed was the battery since the original had died from the car sitting so long. I think a good oil change and some new fluids and you will be just fine. ETA; you may want to ask the seller if the car had the recall issues fixed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'd say worth the risk, so long as there's a bit of a discount taking into account the stuff it'll need done to it. Fluids, battery, and tires should be it, really. You may have to replace a few random rubber bits as well, like bushings and mounts.

If you're particularly worried, maybe have a mechanic do a thorough inspection. The drivetrain's pretty reliable on the Elise though.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Same with me... bought a 2005 with 2500miles about 8 months ago. It's been a great car and now had 5800miles on it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

OK - thanks everyone for the advice. I have a few cars to look at in the next couple days. Will check this car out in more detail and see how much flexibility the seller has in price... asking is a few k too high based on comps. If I decide not to purchase, I will definitely post where the car is located for the next person to grab it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As promised...

I decided not to buy the car for three reasons... most importantly, the dealer and owner (it is on consignment) want too much for the car... asking at minimum 33.5k or so. I would spring that amount for a 2006 or newer but: I found the '05 seats absolutely unacceptable for my back compared to '06+, and the pedal spacing is just too tight for my wide feet (which is also fixed in the '06).

If anyone is interested, the car is at DC Motors in Anaheim. The car is as I described in my original post... hardly used at all. But, I will be very happy purchasing a 2006 (just bought one off of the forums here).

Key features: yellow, black interior, touring pack, aftermarket alarm, super low miles

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
NOT LIKE ITS 20YRS OLD!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts