The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first, let me state that I am not for sure if I put this in the right forum. First I thought maybe to put it into the wanted or for sale section, but after hilarious discussions that turned out ugly now they say no discussions. Second, I didnt know if I should put this in the General Discussion, Elise, or Exige. Who knows!

If I bought an Elise or maybe an Exige, not supercharged, and parted out the motor and tranny, what would I be looking at getting for all those parts at fair market value for the seller and buyer. Basically I'm thinking of buying a Lotus and converting it to electric. So, I dont need fuel lines, gas tank, engine, tranny, and anything else that goes with the powertrain. I'm trying to see if it is better to buy as a whole and part or buy one like this http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/salvage-title-2006-lotus-elise-missing-engine-tranny-58038/. Lol that was a funny discussion. I just dont see anyone buy one for $16000. What do you guys think, Buy whole or Salvage?

·
Banned
874 Posts
y wud u want electric?

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Sounds a fun and challenging project! The Elise is obviously a great candidate as Tesla are doing the same thing!

The problems you will find with both approaches is as follows:
  1. buy complete and part out
    the engine and gearbox are amongst the nmost robust components in the Elise and as such the market for used ones is very small[/INDENT]
  2. buy salvage title
    The thread you mention is the only engineless Elise I have seen for sale - not usually available (see point 1!). Most slavage Elises are titled that way as they are not economically rebuildable due to body/chassis damage and the cost of repair. (The chassis cannot be repaired if damaged and needs to be replaced at non-trivial cost).
I didn't give you a positive answer - but I hope these points will guide your thinking.

Good luck with the project! :)

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I would not buy a salvaged Elise/Exige for a project car only because typically they are put out to pasture due to frame damage. Swapping the power source in a frame damaged car doesn't make a lot of sense.

You probably can expect a small return on the gas drivetrain, as its basically just a toyota drivetrain...nothing special or rare.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
y wud u want electric?
Because I own a GREEN business. And I would love to use this for my mascot (so you would say). Can't use gas. I drive a 2006 Dodge Megacab 4x4 Diesel that weighs over 8000lbs that gets 10mpg. But I use Waste Vegetable Oil and Bio diesel. So, I use that as advertisement. But, I think a Lotus would get better attention!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Because I own a GREEN business. And I would love to use this for my mascot (so you would say). Can't use gas. I drive a 2006 Dodge Megacab 4x4 Diesel that weighs over 8000lbs that gets 10mpg. But I use Waste Vegetable Oil and Bio diesel. So, I use that as advertisement. But, I think a Lotus would get better attention!
A green business in Alabama? And you haven't been run out of town yet?? rotfl

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A green business in Alabama? And you haven't been run out of town yet?? rotfl
Thats what I thought. But you wouldn't believe how many people take in all this crap over Global warming and contribute it to high gas prices. Not trying to argue points, just saying how if we have been on this path for a while now why does it take a national disaster to hit (katrina) and gas prices to roar. So now I sell Green Homes. People love the idea and are willing to sell their new home to buy a green home. Like thats going to make the gas prices go down. Its here to stay.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Do you mean a user called Tesla, or do you mean Tesla motors?
Tesla Motors...the Tesla sports car is based on the Elise chassis. Of course doing it yourself can save you big money, as the Tesla is $98,000 or so for a base model...and that's if you can actually buy one this decade. :crazyeyes

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Have you looked at getting a Tesla? It is probably going to be quicker to convert an Elise though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tesla Motors...the Tesla sports car is based on the Elise chassis. Of course doing it yourself can save you big money, as the Tesla is $98,000 or so for a base model...and that's if you can actually buy one this decade. :crazyeyes
Thats what I was thinking. I was hoping your were talking about a member. Tesla motors is usless for me because its $100,000 but if you know a member doing a conversion or has done a conversion please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Have you looked at getting a Tesla? It is probably going to be quicker to convert an Elise though.
Typing too slow by several posts!!

An alternative to converting an Elise to electric power would be to convert an Exige S into an ethanol car like the 265E.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Typing too slow by several posts!!

An alternative to converting an Elise to electric power would be to convert an Exige S into an ethanol car like the 265E.
I did think about that of converting an exotic to ethanol but e85 still requires gasoline which is dependent on oil. I have read about e100 but some how they say can require at least 4% gasoline which i dont understand that but thats what I read.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And I know what most people say about how electric cars that are charged are supplied by coal plants. But I am building completely dependent solar and wind homes. So NO grid power here!!!!!

·
Registered
539 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
I don't know about the legalities of building and complying an Electric car in the US but if you could import an older Elise from Europe you could potentially build it at less cost and complexity. It has already been done in the UK ten years ago
Popular Science (July 1997 said:
The Silent Supercar
Is a low-volume electric supercar on the horizon? Yes, if there's sufficient demand for the car, says U.K.-based Zytek Automotive Ltd., which has developed an attention-grabbing electric Lotus Elise prototype with support from Group Lotus Ltd.
Both gas and electric versions of the Elise boast a featherweight 155-pound extruded aluminum space frame and lightweight composite body shell. Curb weight is just 1,930 pounds, including batteries -- a full 1,000 pounds lighter than GM's EV1.
Its supercar-like acceleration is estimated at 0 to 90 mph in just 11.2 seconds, quicker than the standard Elise. A 300-volt nickel-cadmium battery pack is said to offer a 120-mile driving range and a one-hour recharge to 95 percent. Top speed is electronically limited to 90 mph.
The impressive power is provided by twin 100-horsepower (75-kilowatt) oil-cooled Zytek brushless DC motors, each mounted to single-speed aluminum gearboxes that transmit power to the rear wheels via equal -lenght driveshafts.
The car is reportedly headed back to Lotus for ride and handling refinements. If produced for sale, the electric Lotus would cost about the same as the standard Elise, batteries not included.
Poor quality scans of photos - first the car then under the engine cover.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Maybe you can look into importing one of these.

electric lotus:
'De toekomst is aan de elektrische auto' | VK.tv | videoreportages door de Volkskrant

this the site for the company that makes them
Home

this is the thread where it was discussed
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/lotus-elise-w-electrical-engine-58045/

I'd love to have one of them. I prefer this option over a Tesla roadster.
That's what I was looking for!!! Google could only find the Tesla:shrug: wonder if it has anything to do with the founders of Google investing in Tesla... nah -must be a coincidence:rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts