The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just met a really nice guy this weekend at our local Solo2 event who has bought his way to the top of Symbolic's list.
A $7k surcharge, and he get's the first Ardent Red car to arrive in La Jolla.
Let's just hope that's their demo car, and somebody isn't getting bumped down the list...

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Robert,
I think the dealers are obligated to keep the demo. Know I expect this is just one of the first ten cars they ordered without consulting depositors, ie "the market price cars"
Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
:) Yup, I did it. And no, I did not steal anyones car. They had several cars pre-ordered before deposits. When I showed up and made the offer, they gave me the pick of the cars that were not deposit related. Hope I did not give anyone a fright.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
So basically Symbolic themselves were among the early list people. I see. Curious as to how many spots they reserved for themselves.

No fright Cobalt... well maybe a little. My car is Yellow and when I heard earlier someone bought a top spot at Symbolic... I did get worried. :)

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Are these are the first 10 cars that they ordered out from underneath the list, and that's why they ordered the first ten without asking any depositors what they wanted?

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
sounds likely:no:

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
so the mystery of being #1 on list and not getting a car real soon is solved?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Wow, this really disappoints me. I, for some reason, believed that ordering through symbolic was a good idea because they are a large volume dealer & that there would be a good chance that they would get a larger allocation because of that. If they've ordered a bunch of cars to sell spec, then any volume advantage they had over another dealer is now gone. I, personally, accepted a high numbered spot (#32) way back in Feb '03 because of this. Oh well, live and learn.

We should keep track of who wait the longest overall to get their car, and who wait the longest since Lotus made the announcement of the Federal Elise (Jan '03, right?) to get their car. I think I'm going to have a pretty high spot on that list... hell, I bet a lot of early orders at Symbolic will be way up on that list.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
LotusLust said:
so the mystery of being #1 on list and not getting a car real soon is solved?
Clearly being #1 on some dealer's list is equivalent to being #11 or worst on other dealer's list.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
One of my first posts to the former Official Lotus Forum (RIP) was exactly this.

Nick at Symbolic described the process in detail; the exact rules Cobalt played by. First ~10 cars were ordered 'on spec' and would be sold for Market Value. In January, Nick estimated market value as about $10-15k over MSRP, so it looks like Cobalt actually got a good deal as Markets go. $10k will be for the sucker that see shiny paint and step into the showroom with a bulging wallet.

I have mixed feelings about it. I'm very thankful that there are dealerships that didn't play this strategy, but I'm sure Cobalt is thankful Symbolic held a place for him. Nobody can say he's not a deserving enthusiast, having proved it to the tune of $7k, that's for sure.

The real test of Symbolic's Moral Fortitude will be when buyer #9 comes in and offers the same deal. Then they'll be in the back room.. "Randy and MW at MSRP, or Joe Walkin at +$10k.."

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
IIRC, Cobalt was also a prior customer of Symbolic, which gives him priority over new customers, according to Symbolic's policy. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it just is, and frankly I can understand it, to some extent. But it kind of sucks personally, going from a very high place on the list to 27'th. Nothing personal against Cobalt though, it was nice meeting and speaking with you.:)

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well thanks for being on my side on this one. I certainly don't want to ruffle any feathers. I believe they did indeed have 10 "pre-ordered" and someone was going to get them. Now on my quest to have the perfect Lotus, I am working diligently on finding someone to put the turbo in there. I'll let you know what happens. I spoke with several Celica GTS drivers at the SCCA race here over the weekend. That should prove helpful.

BTW, thanks for Robert for helping me get out there this weekend. That was my first SCCA Solo II event and I had a great time. I'll be taking the Lotus out there when it arrives. That should be interesting. They said it would be Super Stock class. Think the turbo will make a difference in classing? :)

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Just to set the record straight, I have nothing against Cobalt & the fact that Cobalt is a previuos symbolic customer actually makes me feel even better. I just don't like the idea of thinking I'm #so and so on the list when I'm really #so and so + 10 or so - depending on how many spec cars were ordered.

In my case, Symbolic was right at my own personal cutoff point - if I was to be over #40 in line, I would not have put my deposit down with them. Now, I completely understand prefferential treatment to previous Symbolic customers, but I don't like the idea of being ~42 in line when I thought I was ~32.

That said, I take it all back if my ~32 already takes into account the first ~10 cars to be sold spec.

:)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Happy to help! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.
I'm also glad you're not too annoyed that I shared your story ;)

I think the car will be quite fun in SS.
Turbo?
Just a slight class change...
There's a proposal right now to allow the Elise, Esprit and M100 Elan into SM2. That's were a FI ELise would go if the rule change goes through. Unfortunately, it would have to run at a minimum weight of 2100 lbs. which takes away a bit of it's advantage. Personally, I'd rather build the crap out of the motor and run it normally aspirated at 1900 lbs. Hard to tell what will be the most effective in the big scheme of things. The other option is bolting in a different Toyota or Lotus motor. That's still legal in SM2. Before you ask, a Honda motor would not be legal. It has to be a production motor from the same manufacturer as the chassis or motor that came with the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you seen the red race-prepped elise in the back of the room at Symbolic? 220hp, 1300lbs naturally aspirated. Honda motor of course. Damn I need to get a rulebook.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
From the start that was Symbolic's plan, not a big shock. The first ten cars were ordered without consulting the deposit holders to enable them to make as much profit as they could up front.

No issue with you cobalt, just very happy that I'm getting the 1st car at Lotus Atlanta ardent red and touring at MSRP. :)

Chris

·
Registered
368 Posts
Chris,

Bad news bud, I just walked into Lotus Atlanta and gave them $5K over MSRP for your car. They were happy to take it, said something about you being a deadbeat. :) I'll send you photos of your car. ;)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts