The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On June 26, 2008 - the car sold on Ebay for $34.1k to a Claiborneguy22. The car was located in the north suburbs of Chicago, and the winner flew in and drove it to Michigan.

Less than 1 month later, the car is being auctioned back on Ebay by Claiborneguy22 and he's now asking close to $36k.

I sent Claiborneguy22 a message and asked him if he's the original owner and asked why is he selling the car.

His reply:

"I have had the car for over a year and I'm selling because I have 7 other cars."

My response:

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you just win this auction less than a month ago on Ebay from a seller in Chicago?"

His reply:

"Yeah, I did. I just didn't want any buyers to think that I'm hiding something and that there is something wrong with the car."

<<< The irony is almost deafening. >>>

My reply:

"You f*cking a*shole. You expect someone to hand over more than 30 thousand dollars to you and you're going to be less than honest about what you are selling?!"

<<< Ok. So I made up the last part. >>>

Becareful with this car. Something's fishy. :shrug:

---------------

Reference Links:

1st Auction:
eBay Motors: Lotus : Elise (item 180254742890 end time Jun-23-08 12:00:33 PDT)

Current Auction:
eBay Motors: Lotus : Elise (item 230268643097 end time Jul-13-08 01:27:15 PDT)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Aw, come on, he says himself that the car's in "prestine emaculate" condition - why wouldn't you trust him?

:huh:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Something similar just recently happened to me too...I shouldve investigated a little bit further...live and learn.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Maybe he realizes he spent too much and wants to get rid of it, hoping that a sucker just like him will pay more for it to offset the additional registration costs he paid?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I am in the market to purchase my first Lotus Elise, and my head is spinning :crazyeyes with whom I should purchase from. I realize buying a used car can be a risky endeavor, but there seems to be a higher percentage of these cars that are salvage/wrecked, and that many more that may have been abused from not breaking in the engine correctly, street-raced, etc. I am sure there is a thread on what top 10 things to look for when buying a used Elise... can anyone link that here in this thread? Much appreciated! :wave:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I don't get what's fishy. He bought a car and is now selling it more than what he paid. Big deal.

I love the woman who wanted to buy it for her 19 year old.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don't get what's fishy. He bought a car and is now selling it more than what he paid. Big deal.

That's exactly my point.

If you're warning us because you have some inside knowledge of some type of body damage or flood then I understand but, just because he bought it and a month later he's getting rid of it and asking more money...well, I don't see a problem here or am I missing something? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I can't see anything particularly fishy with this, either. And, if we start holding illiteracy and lack of honesty against internet posters, that will be the end of the internet as we know it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you're looking for a car, carfax is your friend. Why this guy would lie about how long he's had the car when it is such a simple thing to check is beyond me, but oh well. That's what you get for buying yellow! ;-)

·
Registered
81 Posts
The seller lied and admitted to lying to a potential buyer. If he lied about how long he owned it how can you believe anything he is telling you? He has no integrity which warrants buyer beware.

·
Registered
431 Posts
When buying ANY vehicle, the things you want to do first is:

1. Get a CarFax report to determine how many owners, how's the car been registered i.e. rental, lease etc. and to find out if it picked up on any accidents (although this should not be the only method)

2. Ask for any and all service records.

3. Inspect vehicle thoroughly then, after you decide that this car might be of interest, pay to have vehicle inspected professionally (preferably by a Lotus dealer and while you're at it, have an ecu dump performed).

Now, this is what (I) do because I understand that as a seller, all you want to do is sell the car and sometimes people will tell you anything you want to hear which does not make them a bad person but, I rather get the facts first and I'll judge for myself if the white lie the seller is saying is worth staying away from.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ok , ok let me help out you potential Elise buyers....

I have a 05 Saffron Yellow with 8K miles, I am the second owner it is in " like new " condition and has some tasty options installed like, Lotus Stage II Jan Speed Exhaust, Fujita Cold Air Intake, Painted (ardent red by Chuck) Valve Cover Covers, Painted (by me) shifter knob, both a SY Hardtop and black soft top, some kind of super duper stereo system with am/fm cd all new speakers, custom yellow Elise decal (by the decal guy on here) on the front, custom Colin signature decal in the little glove shelf thingy (by the decal guy on here) big amp thingy in boot, big ass thumping speaker thingy in a fiberglass encloser right behind the seats that is so loud you cant even hear the car running with the windows up down or hell probably broken out. I can get you the specific info on the radio if you really need it, plus a car cover, and lots of books and other stuff and SINCE I REALLY DONT WANT TO SELL IT , I will let it go for the LOW LOW price of $ 46 K yes thats right forty six thousand U.S. Dollars but I will accept 46 K Euros and if you send those I will throw in free inter-contential shipping as well..................

There it's done.

oops almost forgot I will include the factory exhaust at no extra charge.

Todd :nanner:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You can always call her
"Please call me at 239 537 2005. thanks again. my name is addie." -poke- :D

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I am in the market to purchase my first Lotus Elise, and my head is spinning :crazyeyes with whom I should purchase from. I realize buying a used car can be a risky endeavor, but there seems to be a higher percentage of these cars that are salvage/wrecked, and that many more that may have been abused from not breaking in the engine correctly, street-raced, etc. I am sure there is a thread on what top 10 things to look for when buying a used Elise... can anyone link that here in this thread? Much appreciated! :wave:
here is the link that you're looking for;

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/tips-buying-used-elise-exige-including-information-salvage-titles-26509/

and if you haven't already read this one; (you should)

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/uberpost-read-here-there-information-25131/

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts