The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my car to HRM a few weeks ago to have it checked out before the car came off of warranty. The experience with HRM will have to wait for another post, but they did discover that my Arqray double tip stainless exhaust w/ sport cat was cracked. There is a bracket that bolts up to a corresponding bracket to the sport cat. For whatever reason (poor design, not enough gussets, too thin metal, etc), the exhaust self-destructs and now I'm left with a crack on the exhaust and on the sport cat.

Some little tidbits:
- The exhaust was installed with approx 3,000 miles on the car
- The car now has 10,700 miles
- The car and exhaust has two track days
- The $1200 exhaust only has a one year warranty which is mentioned nowhere on Sector111's site (whereas my $500, at the time, E36M3 exhaust by ActiveAutowerke has a limited lifetime warranty)

I realize that Shinoo can't do much if the manufacturer doesn't stand behind their product, but this is just really disappointing.

Time to take out my Miller welder and learn how to weld and patch this POS up.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
My Lincoln Electric is broken. Even on the highest heat setting and slowest wire speed I can't get enough heat or penetration to weld a thin crappy pocket bike exhaust. Was talking with some friends this weekend, and the same thing happened to theirs on a very similar model.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welder

My Lincoln Electric is broken. Even on the highest heat setting and slowest wire speed I can't get enough heat or penetration to weld a thin crappy pocket bike exhaust. Was talking with some friends this weekend, and the same thing happened to theirs on a very similar model.
What model? What diam. wire?

Slow WFS and high V will give you the least penetration.

·
Older but getting faster
524 Posts
When I took my 2006 Elise w/ 7800 miles on it for scheduled maintenance to Lotus of Atlanta they replaced the stock exhaust under warranty without being asked because they "heard a rattle in it".

The good news: That's GREAT customer service.

The bad news: Why the f&*^ is the stock exhaust failing after only 7,800 miles??

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I still the most of the exhaust problems, stock and aftermarket probably have something to do with how much the engine moves with the stock mounts.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm on my second stage II.... This newer janspeed version seems to be holding up well (2 years & 8 track days) with no more cracks (knock on wood)!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts