The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an Elise and am seriously considering to buy it this week. Right now I have a Miata as an only car and have liability insurance only and pay $242 for 6 months coverage (100/300/50, no collision or comprehensive coverage). I just checked on insurance for the Elise and it looks like it will be around $980-1130ish or so for 6 months. Is this normal? I am 27 years old and live in the bay area, CA.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
How long is a piece of string....

·
Registered
62 Posts
i am 28, live down in san diego , i have the two cars in my sig and pay like 830 for six months for both... with 100/300/100 with comprehensive and collision

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm in the bay area too, age 24 now. My first 2005 Elise I got new, paid close to 250/month... my second 2005 Elise I bought used, I now pay about 120 a month... My deductible is a little higher, but unless you have a really bad driving record that sounds like a pretty crappy quote on a used car

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
23 yo
100/300/50
Full coverage / $1000 deductible
Pleasure use only / Only car (work from home)
Clean driving record

= $1900 / year.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Maybe

I'm 22, full coverage for 6 months is 650 with farmers.
only if you are on dads policy and less than 5K miles a year........otherwise I think they made an error in computation....

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...go with USAA - adjust your terms to suit, but you're not going to find a better deal if you want hassle-free coverage and customer support...

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
+1

...go with USAA - adjust your terms to suit, but you're not going to find a better deal if you want hassle-free coverage and customer support...
that is who I have

·
Registered
398 Posts
I live in West Sacramento, CA.
Have a 2000 Passat as a daily, liability only
'06 Elise full coverage, pleasure use

$1200/yr (600 for 6 months) with Wawanesa, and that's considering my previous totaled Lotus was with them as well. I'm 23.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sorry for being vague. I have liability only on the Miata, but if I get the Elise I will have full coverage and it is the above listed amount.
Gotcha. That price is about right for the Elise as an only car. It would be less to insure two cars if one is not worth much and you declare it as your primary vehicle. Lotus + beater might drop it down to under $100/month total.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You lucky bastard I don't even want to mention how bad my insurance rate is at currently.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
third car, homeowners also, $1000 deductable, off the road for dec, jan feb, $~350/year. erie insurance.
of course, i'm ooollldd!
sam

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You are crazy if you are considering only liability insurance on an Elise...

Why? If you can afford it, you better be able to afford to wreck it.

$67 per six months.

Also, buy a beater as your "primary car."

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Market area has a lot to do with it but when I was insuring an Elise and 93 Miata (full on Elise, liability on Miata) with Miata as primary and Elise as pleasure. I was paying about $120 a month with Allstate. I'm 25 and in TX, hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts