The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Bryan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed my search down to 2 base model Elise cars... The last question I need to answer is this, all else equal, how much more should I pay for a car with 6,300 miles vs. identical car with 24,500 miles?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
$3k is my thought. Maybe 4k.

·
Bryan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help... Made an error though, the 2005 Elise with 6,300 and 2006 Elise with 24,500.... Does that change the math?

·
Bryan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help... Made an error though, the 2005 Elise with 6,300 and 2006 Elise with 24,500.... Does that change the math?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Depends how much you value the Probax seats, LED tail lights (and any other options) that come stock with the 2006 vs. the 2005.

I personally would value the 2005 about $2,500 more than the 2006, without knowing more information about each.

My own suggestion would be to really consider color in your decision. For me, color was super important and its definitely something that you do not want to consider changing in the future...

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
You might want to look at it this way:
a 2005 with 6300 miles is a car thats been sitting in someones garage not on the road
where as the 2006 with 24,500 has been driven regularly and most likely all the bugs have been shaken out.

·
Scott Graham
293 Posts
the throttle is actuated with a cable in the 2005 I believe.. it's also a more compact pedal box. do some reading up on that with the 2005. the throttle seems a bit heavy. I drove a red 2005 in CT (so abused... asking 25k so not worth it... ) and the throttle was harder to press than the brake.. rotfl

the 2006 is a fly by wire system. very nice IMHO.

I'm just going to throw this out there also, make sure the radiator has been replaced with an aluminum one or something other than stock. they have a bad tendency to fail after about 4 - 6 years.. I have a 2008 and mine cracked down the right hand side, leaking all the coolant all over the road about two weeks ago just before I hit 5000 miles....

·
Bryan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright... This has been super helpful if not more complicating.... Just got off the phone, can get a 2005 Elise, gray with a hard top, 6,300 miles, red interior.... $34,000 out the door. Not a scratch on it. Second option is a 2006 Elise, gray with black interior, hardtop, small ding in back rear starshield, small chin scrape, 24,500 miles.... 31,500 out the door. Thoughts?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm thinking, after the first drive, you will not think about the cost... Just look at them both, check your gut and take it home..

·
Registered
245 Posts
Gray with red is my favorite combo (and I don't even own it!)!

Drive both, see which strikes your fancy and buy it!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Alright... This has been super helpful if not more complicating.... Just got off the phone, can get a 2005 Elise, gray with a hard top, 6,300 miles, red interior.... $34,000 out the door. Not a scratch on it. Second option is a 2006 Elise, gray with black interior, hardtop, small ding in back rear starshield, small chin scrape, 24,500 miles.... 31,500 out the door. Thoughts?
I'd go for the 2006. You get some updates the '06: probax padded seats, LED tail lights, DBW - some would debate whether DBW is an upgrade but I think more super/turbocharger kits support them - which you can later use for that $2500 you saved. With <25k miles, it is still as good as new...

gray w. hardtop is a good find!

·
Registered
571 Posts

Sounds like both are being sold via dealership...and both are over-priced imo...I have not seen 2006 with 20k+ mi and cosmetic issues ever go for over $30k...I could be wrong there...and that '05 might be worth $30k, maybe...matters who you are buying it from (like if it's a place that specializes in Lotus the price is probably more accurate cause they know the car, rather than where the car is a novelty).

If they are private party, go through the For Sale section here and see what the initial asking prices were and how long they sat...or went.

Get an ecu dump. That could tell you a lot about how the 6300 miles were driven...and really should be the deciding factor between the two.

Call the places where they were serviced.

Lastly, don't limit your search by geography.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I bought my 2005 2 years ago, the correlation between mileage and asking price was ~20cents per mile.

$34k is too much for the 2005, I think. I bought mine for 30.5 with about the same mileage (~7k miles), although no starshield and red vs. grey. Also had the hard top and sport pack.

·
Registered
708 Posts
First, I expect that "gray" is really Storm Titanium. You will have no need for the hard top on either, so you can sell that to me. :)

Definately get an ECU dump. The mileage can be deceiving. I have a friend who is a nationally competitive autocrosser. He has one of the first 05's to hit our shore. He has less than 8000 miles, but as he describes it, all of those miles have been at full throttle.

I agree also that a private party sale would be far less expensive. I picked up my 10k mile 07 a year ago with touring pack (no hard top), no issues and some excellent upgrades and a well known history for less than either of those cars.

Besides the radiator, make sure that the oil line issue has been addressed. Either a replacement oil line kit, relocated oil cooler with new lines or what I did.....removal of the pancake altogether. The radiator can be annoying....driving down the street and all of a sudden, getting coolant belching out onto your windshield. If an oil line goes, it can simply be a look in the mirror to see nothing but oil smoke and then a lunched engine.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would never get an 2005, but the miles on it look niceee! however the 2006 just have the little things that count, for the the led tail lights sold me alone! Think look so dang good! :cool:

·
Registered
409 Posts
My only advice to you is to not take so long making up your mind or someone else will always get your car.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
overpriced both.

If you are persistent, you can get deals.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Used lotus

Buy the one which appeals to you on the shallowest,basest level. Fall in love with it. Do what it takes to make it yours. Happy forever. Don

1 - 20 of 23 Posts