The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to drive our Lemons car in the next race at Buttonwillow and I need a firesuit. I'm looking to try and not spend more than $600. I've found a really good deal on a Sparco challenge suit that is 3 layer, SFI 3.2A/5, and FIA 2000 rated. I don't love the fact that it has no pockets. there's also the Sparco Sprint that has similar ratings with pockets, but is only 2 layer. I'm a bit clueless here any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunately no such thing as a cool breeze at Buttonwillow in August. It will be 100+ degrees. we'll be using cool shirts but heat is a major concern that's why the 3 layer suit is attractive, I'm assuming that it will be cooler no?

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
A 3 layer cooler than a 2 layer? Or do you mean 3 layer cooler than 2 + undergarment?

Remember that each layer also insulates. That means that more layers = hotter driver.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I have a three layer and I do fine in the Texas heat. It is even black...

Got it at the Simpson store here in Texas.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I dont see how layers is particularly going to help - if they are all SFI 3.2/5 and made of Nomex they should all be of roughly the same thickness.

I wear an Impact Racing Racer suit (3.2/5 and I wear a layer of CarbonX underneath) which has pockets and has been comfortable for multiple long stints through various Lemons races. Their store is in LA as well so you can go try them on before you buy.

Impact! Racing Products

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I dont see how layers is particularly going to help - if they are all SFI 3.2/5 and made of Nomex they should all be of roughly the same thickness.

I wear an Impact Racing Racer suit (3.2/5 and I wear a layer of CarbonX underneath) which has pockets and has been comfortable for multiple long stints through various Lemons races. Their store is in LA as well so you can go try them on before you buy.

Impact! Racing Products
my understanding is not to worry about the layers, worry about the rating.
more layers does not equal more protection.
the rating of the suit is "5" showed after the "/" which means it will help protect you for 2x that long measured in seconds or 10 seconds for the rating you show.
dont worry about pockets, i have never used mine on my suit.

as far as impact racing, i would realy do you research. i was in the tech area getting a car its anual and i heard the tech guy reading a note to his helpers. it said there were some suits from impact racing that will no longer be passed by SCCA tech. i wouldnt believe it if i didnt ask him the repeat it. I dont know which models, but they were newer ones, and dont know the reason why.

saferacer(SafeRacer - Auto Racing Safety Equipment, Auto Racing Gear, Auto Racing Helmets, Auto Racing Suits) has great deals on suits, and free shipping.
as far as sizing, i went by the sparco chart for sizing, and it was too small. i went one size larger, it fits well, and gives me room to grow.

you should be able to find a nice suit for ~$600. call up UPR and see what they have on clearance in stock. they are a good source as well.
i also agree with RichS , i have a black suit(3/4 of it is black) , and here in AZ it gets hot. the color has not been an issue for me.
I would go with simpson, or sparco, stay away from the g-force ones, they felt very cheap when i tried one on.

fireproof underwear will add ~ another 5 seconds to the rating, and a balaclava is, IMO, a must have.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
as far as impact racing, i would realy do you research. i was in the tech area getting a car its anual and i heard the tech guy reading a note to his helpers. it said there were some suits from impact racing that will no longer be passed by SCCA tech. i wouldnt believe it if i didnt ask him the repeat it. I dont know which models, but they were newer ones, and dont know the reason why.
They had a recall on 3.2A/15 and above. The /5s that most people run are not affected.

IMPACT RACING PRODUCT RECALL
Any and all driver suits, pants, jackets, shoes and boots manufactured by Impact Racing pursuant to SFI Specifications 3.2A/15, 3.2A/20, 3.3/15 and 3.3/20 at any time during the year 2008 have been decertified by SFI Foundation, Inc. and must be immediately returned to Impact Racing offices or an Impact representative. Impact Racing has reason to believe that these products do not fully comply with the stated SFI Specifications and therefore do not meet SFI manufacturer certification requirements. This recall applies to all such products whether or not they have been updated, rebadged, or recertified by Impact Racing. This recall applies even if the product now has a 2009 SFI patch or label affixed to the product. All applicable sanctioning bodies have been notified of this noncompliance.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I wear a Pyrotect /5 suit with Carbon-X underneath. Things like the Boris Said escape at Long Beach reinforce why I do that. In an enclosed car you probably want a coolshirt or something to deliver water onto your suit.

Steve

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
They had a recall on 3.2A/15 and above. The /5s that most people run are not affected.
rnr,
thanks for clarifying that.
the tech guy wouldnt go into any further when i asked for more info other than saying something about not passing certain new impact racing suits through tech in 2009.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
For the record & so it's here:

I checked out Sparco, Diest, and Simpson when I was searching for a fire suit.

Being tall and *ahem* "svelte," I couldn't find a Sparco that fit. Besides, they were all damn expensive.

Deist had suits that fit, but they looked and felt cheap. Also the guy who was helping me said that cotton had the same fire rating as nomex (I suppose he could be correct, but it sure didn't feel right).

Simpson had the right combo of good fit and good price. They only thing I would have liked were the lapels (so a safety worker can pull you out of the car by your lapels rather than under your arms). Simpson (as others, I'm sure) has a 3.?/5 rated suit with a very thin fabric (read: cooler). I lucked out & got one of their cheaper suits that was made with this material. It's noticeably thinner than most suits - not too bad in the Reno heat even without the cool suit. I think I paid $375 for the suit at Simpson in Harbor City. The person who helped me at Simpson said they had made 5 of these cheap suits with the thin material, but because of some order than went bad they were on their showroom floor. This leads me to believe you can special order the cheap-suit/thin material combo, but who knows.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input everyone, I ordered a Sparco Sprint 6 suit from Saferacer. Free shipping and no tax plus a 10% discount brought the total to $494. It's a 2 layer suit rated SFI 3.2A/5. Went with grey color which hopefully will be cooler in the sun and not look as grubby as white can quickly turn at the track.

If only I'd gotten in on the Stand 21 firesuit group buy way back when...

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f238/stand-21-gear-firesuits-group-buy-56385/

Oh and Fishguy, I got a hans device too. I've put that off for too long and your posts have left an impretion :up:

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone, I ordered a Sparco Sprint 6 suit from Saferacer. Free shipping and no tax plus a 10% discount brought the total to $494. It's a 2 layer suit rated SFI 3.2A/5. Went with grey color which hopefully will be cooler in the sun and not look as grubby as white can quickly turn at the track.

If only I'd gotten in on the Stand 21 firesuit group buy way back when...

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f238/stand-21-gear-firesuits-group-buy-56385/

Oh and Fishguy, I got a hans device too. I've put that off for too long and your posts have left an impretion :up:

Thanks again guys.
I am glad you got the HANS, it makes the time spent posting about the H+N restraints all worth it.:up:
on that stand 21 design you have pictured, WTF is the deal with that yellow marble sack/thong design?
really bad IMO.
realy, really bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts