The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am looking at getting a Lotus in the next month or so. I am quite convinced that this is the kind of car that I can really fall in love with. I live in Bellevue, Washington, which is lucky because this is the only city with a Lotus dealership in the state, where I have got the chance to check out a few of the cars they had on the floor.

I am really looking for a car that I can drive daily, while also take to the track without too much modification. (I have owned a Mustang for the last 4 years, and modification is fun, but it gets old after I have replaced almost every component on the car.)

So, obviously, I would love to go to the dealer and pick a brand spakin' new, fully loaded, 09 Exige 260. However, my wallet says no. I am looking to spend 50-60k on the car, so the Elise SC look like a much more practical option for me if I choose to buy new. I did notice that the used 07 Exiges are significantly cheaper than the MSRP though, which is quite attractive. There is an fully loaded 07 Exige at the dealership by my house selling for $46k, which after a bit of research, seems pretty normal for the 07s. This confuses me, because it seems that the 08s have kept their price pretty well. Is there a reason for this? Is the 07 much different than the 08/9 models?

Last, are the Elise SC and Exige (both with the sport pack) vastly different performance wise? I see the differences on the 0-60 and 0-100, but I know that that does not paint the full picture.

Thanks a lot, glad to be joining the bunch soon :D

edit: sorry for posting in the wrong section, thanks for moving mods

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,690 Posts
Get a used Exige S for 40-45 and spend the rest on tires / track day fees.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
There were many more 2007's than 2008's so that's the big difference in used prices. Leather covered console in 2008 standard.

If you are going to track it get the track pack, it is worth the adjustability.
Tires are going to make the biggest difference on track.

The SC has no intercooler, the Exige S has one. Differences in fiberglass, looks, rear visibilty, etc.

Search and read, then get one. You'll love it on the track.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...buy a naturally-aspirated '06, spend the difference on a TVS supercharger, and you're done - plenty left over for track time, consumables, and eventual modifications...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts