The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I just moved to Germany for 3 years from the USA. I was just about to buy used late model Elise or Exige before I found out I was going to go to Germany for 3 years for work. So I put my plans on hold. Now that I have been here 5 weeks in Konigstein Germany I am getting the thought again about buying a used Elise or Opel Speedster Turbo (Opel built on a Elise with GM turbo). I went two weekends ago to the Nurburgring (You can drive your car on the track as easy as buying a parking ticket :bow:) and I saw a few lotus and Speedsters driving around and thought I just got to get one. :crazyeyes

But part of me says I am going to be working allot of hours here just wait a couple years and get a new one when I get back to the USA. I get a free car to drive from work so I don't deal with car insurance, gas and payment here. So save some more money an get something back in the USA later. I have the cash to buy one here but with the way the USD is to the Euro is (1 USD = .65 Euro) and 19% taxes their not cheap. Also I hear insurance is high also. I could be burning allot of cash.

On the other hand looking at online ads I see used Lotus Elise going in the 40k to 5oK Euro range. Lets do the numbers 45K euro for a 2007 Lotus Elise is $69,000 USD!

Now I am thinking should I buy one in the USA and ship here to drive and sell when I go back.

But it seems like I am missing something here as it seems too good to be true. And you know the saying on that.....

Buy a $45k used Lotus in USA
Shipping cost $ ?
German paperwork to get on the road $?
German insurance $ ?
German taxes $ ?
Time to drive in Germany?
time and trouble to get it on the road?

Online ads
http://suchen.mobile.de

Any thoughts?

Alan

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Now I am thinking should I buy one in the USA and ship here to drive and sell when I go back.
No advice on the other things, but I'd check into the possibility of buying a US spec Elise from the factory in England. Then you could drive it to Germany, drive it while you are there and ship it to the US when you return.

I know that other manufacturers can do that (some even have a "European delivery" that can be arranged through their US dealers - buy through the US dealer - drive it in Europe on vacation and ship it to the US. Lotus doesn't do this, but they may sell directly to someone living in Europe. :shrug:

·
Registered
127 Posts
The $/€ rate must be playing merry hell with pricing cars for sale in U.S., guess in depends on each manufacturers hedging policy...anyway it probably makes a lot of sense to ship a car from the u.s., dont know the policy in germanyland, but in Switzerland (which SHOULD be a little similar) as long as it conformed to swiss regs (you have some time to make it so..) and that you did not resell for 1 year, you could bring it in tax free..but you had to do this as you where moving...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Are you in Konigstein in Bayern? I was with the 561st Med. Co. in Vilseck for three years from 2001-2004. If this is the place you're near, here are a couple of restaurants you must visit.

First, go the the Zur Post in Kuermreuth. Their Swabian Pork Pot is excellent! And the Jaegerschnitzel ain't too bad, neither--big mushrooms!

Second, go to Schuttersmuehle in Pottenstein (it's a quick drive north from where you are). They have a dishe called Rinderfilet vom heissen stein, which is a beef filet that they bring to you on a hot slate slab. IT IS AWESOME. I hope you aren't a vegetarian

Third, there's a Thai restaurant in Grafenwoehr. I can't remember the name, but it shares its building with a gun club (yeah, weird, I know), and I'm pretty sure its on Im Markwinkel (a street). They have a chicken in green cocunut curry dish that is pretty much all I would eat there. #23 on the menu, I think.

Now that I've typed all this, you're probably in the Konigstein at the other end of the country...

I did the Nurburgring once, too. It's where I decided I needed an elise. Someone had a beautiful S1 there and I fell in love.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
The thing about buying one in the US and importing it to Germany is that you have to own the car in the US for at least six month in order to import it without paying any taxes in Germany. Otherwise the 19% sales tax plus 10% customs duty will still hit you.
And the restrictions for getting it TUV certified are less stringent when you had it for six month in the US and import it as "moving good".
Shipping is not too expensive. Should be somewhere around $900 for the ship plus $500 for hauling it to the port (depending where you live) plus 1.5% or so of the cars value for insurrance plus $320 port fees for the port in Germany.
I'm currently stocking up on pretty much everything (including cars) since I'll be moving back there next year.
And with the current exchange rate its pretty much a no brainer...

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
But it seems like I am missing something here as it seems too good to be true.
Yeah you are! I think all of the key points have been covered above so I don't need to repeat. It is almost certainly not as easy as it would at first seem. I think that the TUV will be your biggest problem to be honest.

Anyway enjoy. I worked there for 4 years and enjoyed it.....esp driving @ 150mph on the Autobahn everyday.

:shift:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Save your money and buy a cheaper sports car, doesn't have to be an Elise.
then when you return get the car you want...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Alan,

buy a S1, it will not drop in price fo some years. So sell it when you leave.
Insurance isn't a problem. There is no fixed rate to pay for a Lotus in Germany. So talk to your insurance company and fix a price (less than 1000 € should be possible). Don't buy a speedster, it has a fixed (expensive) insurance rate.

Welcome in my country

Lutz

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I'd check into the possibility of buying a US spec Elise from the factory in England. Then you could drive it to Germany,
:
Do you want him to buy the submarine Elise?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Check out the cars on www.mobile.de and search for Elise or Exige, may find a good deal in country on an S1 Elise (or S1 Exige! :nanner: ), have a blast with it for a couple of years and sell it to a buddy or bring it back as a track car when you leave! :D

Eric

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts