The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I'm connsidering purchasing an Elise, and this particular car does not come with a hardtop (which I want). Where are the best places to purchase an OEM or OEM style hardtop? Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I'm considering purchasing an Elise, and this particular car does not come with a hardtop (which I want). Where are the best places to purchase an OEM or OEM style hardtop? Thanks for your help.
They pop up from time to time for about a grand depending on condition. Of course the best thing is to find one in decent shape in the same color as your car. Then you know you were lucky, and can skip out on the paint bill.

The ones on here on this forum will go fast, so you need to check very often and pay the asking price.

You may have luck by combing the Internet auction sites. I found my Elise car on cars.com and paid the asking before the guys on this forum found out about it. You may be lucky also.

I agree on your preference for the hardtop. These cars do not look as good open.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
If the car you decide on does not come with one just watch the classifieds here. They do come up but go real fast. I like mine without a top but do have both soft and hard tops. It isn't a deal killer if a car does not come with one. You can pick them up with some diligence.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, It'll come in handy if things proceed with this purchase.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
without a doubt these cars look best with hardtops

But you do see them pop up for sale from time to time
- because to be quite honest, they can be a wee bit of a hassle to take on and off. (compared to the simplicity of the soft-top).

if you can get the car for the right price, perhaps drive it around for awhile and you might find less of a desire for a hard top.

I put my hard top on once a year, just in the winter
..simply for the fact that I have it in the first place!:crazyeyes

·
Registered
53 Posts
I found one on craigs list just 2 weeks that was the exact same color as my car. It included the storage bag, hardware, and tools. It also looked like it was brand new. Got it for $900, $1k including shipping from colorado. Fit my car perfectly. Was just about to buy the one from gsxctasy, but this one was the exact same color as my car. Sorry gsxctasy. I will say that his is like brand new in the packing still. Looks like a good purchase. Here is mine after install last week.

Attachments

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Sams Club ( But you have to buy 10 of them at a time )

·
Registered
378 Posts
I found one on craigs list just 2 weeks that was the exact same color as my car. It included the storage bag, hardware, and tools. It also looked like it was brand new. Got it for $900, $1k including shipping from colorado. Fit my car perfectly. Was just about to buy the one from gsxctasy, but this one was the exact same color as my car. Sorry gsxctasy. I will say that his is like brand new in the packing still. Looks like a good purchase. Here is mine after install last week.
No worries man! That looks great!

·
Registered
119 Posts
May consider buying a car in CA and driving to CO. It has a hardtop, but I dont want to keep the hardtop on for the entire trip... and wife will be along for the ride so I cannot put the top in the front seat. Anyone have experience shipping a hardtop? Packaging would be importand to ensure it arrives in good condition. Weight is minimal. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
May consider buying a car in CA and driving to CO. It has a hardtop, but I dont want to keep the hardtop on for the entire trip... and wife will be along for the ride so I cannot put the top in the front seat. Anyone have experience shipping a hardtop? Packaging would be importand to ensure it arrives in good condition. Weight is minimal. Thoughts?
lol, the only place the hard top can fit is outside your car. If you are buying it with a hardtop, you either have to ship it back or drive back with the hardtop on

·
Registered
119 Posts
right... shipping would be the option. Any experience with shipping one? How much does the hardtop weigh? guessing 50lbs and $125 shipped.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Great question! I have shipped a few and discovered what I think is a great thing. I pack the top in a plastic bag and then use spray foam insulation in a can to do the corners. I have refined it and while I don't think I care to do this for a living, elevate the top in the box you are going to send it, then spray foam the corners. Otherwise the corners on the radiused end tend to crack. Besides additional packaging, make another box to hold the box the top is in.
Good Luck!

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Oh, and shipping? If you can ship it for much less than $150.00 it must either be to a neighbor down the street or you are skimping on the packaging. Or not insuring!

·
Registered
591 Posts
i orignally was attracted to the car because the targa top option is awesome. mine came with a hardtop, and i have yet to take it off because i love the look of it with it on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts