The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this so please feel free to move it where you see fits.

Well I'm going to get my elise in a week or so!! :bow::crazyeyes:nanner::nanner::nanner:

However I've never bought a car out of states, so was just wondering if I can get some advice about how I should proceed with the purchase. How can I go about getting the title after repaying the bank, are there any necessary paperwork with the DMV I'll have to do with the seller? Stuff such as that.

Thank you!!!

- Owner does not title in hand, still owe loan from the Bank
- Will be paying with a cashier check for the full amount

·
Registered
906 Posts
Congrats on your upcoming acquisition.

Assuming that you live in the US and that you're purchasing a car within another state within the US, the process to register the car and cover taxes is done at the state level. What is the state in which you're going to register the car?

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
The bank will need release of liability paperwork. I would contact them to help with dmv paperwork before you go there. Some states take the liscence plate so preparing beforehand is key. The bank holding the title should help. But do it beforehand.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
you need to write two checks
#1 one to bank to pay off the loan. written to the bank not the owner
#2 one to owner for balance

You take possession of the car when he gets the check.

Go to post office together to send in pay off

he can send in paper work and the title can be sent to you if you choose.

I would have a nice bill of sale for the car.

·
Registered
708 Posts
you need to write two checks
#1 one to bank to pay off the loan. written to the bank not the owner
#2 one to owner for balance

You take possession of the car when he gets the check.

Go to post office together to send in pay off

he can send in paper work and the title can be sent to you if you choose.

I would have a nice bill of sale for the car.
The bolded part may depend on the state. In Massachusetts, the title has to be signed off by the seller, so the bank has to send it to him first.

The other fun thing in Mass is that the state does not issue temp plates and does not recognize temp plates from any other state, so you need to flatbed the car out. And yes, the plates are returned to our DMV in order for the owner to cancel his insurance.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
as for the DMV, you will probably need to get a travel permit from the buyer's state's DMV. $5 to get one for 3 days.
That's what I did. It is just a piece of paper though, so you may want to take some plates with you if you don't want to get pulled over for nothing.
I believe your bank probably will be able to handle everything if they are anything like USAA

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
I bought my car from Florida to pa through Pentagon federal credit union. Best transaction of my life.

Gave me 1.49% and 2 checks, woulda gave me three. I got one for the owner and one for me to pay for taxes, shipping etc.

When the owner or bank signs the back of the check from penfed, there is a contract there on the back too, and they are bound to that contract by cashing the check, vin number and everything can be right on the check.

I had to get a copy of the title for the bank, etc but never actually had it at the time of purchase. then I had the title faster than the 7 days it took to get the car via mail. car was dropped at my house. I took a pic of the vin on the car and they let me use that and the title to get a plate and register the car. I never had to have the car there.

Now that I think about it you should have the seller send you a pic of the vins(s) on the car, so as soon as you get the title you can go to dmv and put in your name. then when car gets there bolt on plate and roll.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well I'm picking it up so I was wondering about the whole DMV situation in case some curious police pulls me over.

Thanks for all the answers so far!!

Edit - What are these taxes you guys referring to?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I used State Farm Auto Loans for an intra-state transaction since they had local representation on both sides. They helped guide the process and made sure everything was done in the right order. Very easy to work with...and it was nice to have an 'expert' help so I didn't get stuck in some DMV hell-hole...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts