The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any ever done this, I wanted to know what the process is like? I'm considering traveling outside of driving distance to buy my ideal Evora. I've never done this before and I'm wondering if its even a good idea. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
858 Posts
I would say the majority of the people on the board have done this. I know I have. I would suggest negotiating the price before you make the trip contingent upon the car being as represented when you actually get there. It will save you some frustration.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm flying Friday from NYC to Winston-Salem NC to pick up my 2013 Evora S...

Dealer handles temp registration.

Are you talking new or used?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Has any ever done this, I wanted to know what the process is like? I'm considering traveling outside of driving distance to buy my ideal Evora. I've never done this before and I'm wondering if its even a good idea. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I purchased my Evora S in Texas after traveling down there 3 times in a month. I looked at several used Evora S's 2012-2013 during that time. One thing you must do is go look at it prior to purchasing it. I can tell you that not one of them was represented very well by the dealers because of issues like rim scrapes, nicks, dented vents etc.

There are several things you need to look for aside from the obvious. If you are bothered by little things, for example, all of the black vent screens are commonly dented. I can tell you dents in the screens are very hard to see in photos. Cost of replacement of the hood vents are $400 each plus labor to remove hood panel.

When I am purchasing a car, I am very particular.

PM me and I can tell you more.

·
Closet Petrolhead
99 Posts
I bought my 2011 Evora online, private sale. I had it independently inspected by Lotus Atlanta, and they gave me a full report of *every little thing* that needed or would be needing fixing.

I also talked a lot with the owner, to feel him out. (For instance - if it's a private sale, is the seller on this forum? That's indicative of a person who cares about the car) Ask pointed questions, ask for lots of pictures, ask to see all the history on the car, and buy that baby's Carfax report. If you have ANY reservations or weird feelings, don't ignore them. There has to be a lot of trust when you go across statelines. Money and titles and all sorts of things are changing hands, so if you mistrust the seller, even if it's just a hunch, don't go through with anything.

All that being said, if I could have flown out to the East Coast to see the car, I would have.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had done this before as many other did on this forum. I brought an Elise 4 yrs ago in Philadelphia and drove 12 hrs home. This Friday, I will buy an Evora S and drive it 11 hours home. Earlier this year, vmcdemo had driven his new Evora S 2800 mile home - from Portland OR, to NJ. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,473 Posts
I just bought from Jersey and shipped to Seattle. Yes dealer will downplay issues. I was fortunate to have some of our great friends here that were near drop by and check it out for me. Use your network.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I bought a 2011 Lotus Evora in March from Dallas. They had high quality images from every angle so I felt comfortable about condition. We discussed it, I arranged my own financing, put a refundable deposit and flew out. I had a r/t ticket in case I was not satisfied with car and was prepared to walk away if any issues. But it was just as described, I was happy, so I signed and handed over bank check and drove it back to Orlando. Two day drive, stopped over in New Orleans overnight. Since it only had 15 miles when I got it, first day was all back roads to break it in nicely, 2nd day we did some highway (still varying speed and gears to assist break-in). Best way to get to know your car. The dealer in Dallas put temporary paper plates on the car, I registered it in Florida after I got back.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Bought mine from Ron Tomkin in Portland OR, flew in picked up the car and drove it back 2800miles to NJ. The car did already have some miles on it though.
Great experience, and as others have said a great way to bond with your car.

Best of luck

Dave

·
Toys R us!
273 Posts
highly recommend going to look at it or having someone represent you by doing so...i am in AL and bought mine from Plano Tx without flying there to look at it, i trusted the dealer (big mistake) and he failed to "notice" many small issues....had the car delivered to me and pretty much within a month had a transport company pick it up to take it to the nearest Lotus dealer (4.5 hrs away) to have all of the warranty work done that SHOULD have been done by the Lotus dealership in TX....so, MAKE SURE YOU OR SOMEONE LOOKS at the car in question, in person....i'll never trust anyone again for future purchases...

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Also confirm with the DMV what you need to do to register and pay taxes on the car. I bought my from California and some at the the Arizona DMV insisted I pay full taxes when it should only be the difference on the trade-in amount. After getting several different & conflicting answers from the DMV, I ended up hiring a lawyer who convinced a person of authority in the DMV that I was correct.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I bought from California as well, and drove it back to Arizona. I used a private agent representing the DMV here in Chandler. It took several days of going back and forth (and I forget what the issue was), but I managed to get it registered.

I didn't pay any taxes at the California end, and ended up paying slightly less taxes at the Arizona end when I registered the car.

To the OP, don't hesitate to fly or drive out twice, if you have to. Once to check on the condition of the car (or for them to check out your trade-in), and a second time to pick it up. In the grand scheme of things, a $500 flight for a $60,000 car is small potatoes.

I would also strongly suggest driving the Lotus home. It's the best way to bond with your new baby.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,473 Posts
I had the Jersey dealer estimate the Wahsington taxes and include it. Delta was only $96 to get it licenced and on the road here.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
One of my favorite activities is flying out to pick up a car I just purchased and driving it home. I bought my Esprit in Salt Lake City, Elan in Pittsburgh, Ferrari in Houston, and so on. I have probably bought 20 cars long distance, with only one bad experience. Just stay away from East Coast city sellers :)

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
i am toying with swapping mine out with a new car from an Altered State, just West of here

·
Premium Member
8,381 Posts
Very easy to do, just don't try to deal with CT for registration......bunch of politico jackasses.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts