The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying the Evora tomorrow. Should i ask my salesman first about the clutch issues? Should i have him check with his technicians to see what their take is on the apparent clutch issues and then get something back in writing from them? Could they perhaps do some tweaking before i take delivery to help avoid clutch issues down the road?

18 hours till purchase time, what do you guys recommend i do?

Mike

·
Registered
412 Posts
I am buying the Evora tomorrow. Should i ask my salesman first about the clutch issues? Should i have him check with his technicians to see what their take is on the apparent clutch issues and then get something back in writing from them? Could they perhaps do some tweaking before i take delivery to help avoid clutch issues down the road?
Salesmen tend to tell you what you want to hear.

Warranty issues notwithstanding, Lotus cars can be expensive to repair and maintain unless you have the skills to do the work yourself.

Even if you can afford to hire out the work, it will probably be a major inconvenience to take your car to a shop which is competent to work on it... assuming you can find one nearby. Do your homework 1st.

Resign yourself to this fact before you purchase one. Ask yourself how much you desire this car. Like a jealous mistress, it will test your commitment. Eventually. :tadts:

It will be worth it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I am under the impression that the above is very true about the Elise. But with the Evora not nearly as much. Some people have told me they have had theirs a couple years, 20,000 miles, etc, and not one single solitary issue.

16 hours till purchase time, what to do?????

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
This car is amazing. I have had my issues - not many I mention here simply due to warranty work done and done well in Austin by a great guy named Brian at the dealership.

Talking to him, meeting him in person, and seeing his work first hand has led me to leave my car in his hands any time it needs it.

Let us know your decision with pics :)

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Not knowing what you are buying its hard to answer. I have a VERY early launch edition and I have had a new clutch installed. The problem is not with the clutch its with the throwout bearing and its design. On my car it had a noise and was just not smooth. The bearing design was changed mid way through 2010 production I think. That said even most launch cars are fine. Hit or miss. One item to note is that the trans makes a lot of noise as well and that is normal. You will be fine I am sure. If it needs one its not really that big of a deal just a lot of hours.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Tell your dealer exactly what you stated here!
Like already mentioned they will tell you what you want to here.
Tell them that you are have second thoughts!
If you are this close to pulling the trigger more than likely they sweeten the pot!

·
Registered
255 Posts
If it's brand-new, shouldn't this type of thing be covered under warranty? If I were the buyer, I'd definitely bring this up and have this in writing just in case..... And not just discuss it with your salesperson but also bring up this with the GM as well.

Taiwan's Lotus dealer is great, it's the same dealer as Lamborghini and you deal directly with the boss. I just need to get a few things decided before I put myself on the Evora list again.

·
Registered
498 Posts

18 hours till purchase time, what do you guys recommend i do?

Mike
Before I pulled the trigger on my Evora I spent over 2 months getting to know my service team. A dealer could make your ownership a wonderful or horrible experience. Since Lotus has a limited dealer network I recommend you start meeting those folks ASAP. My Thoughts: First you are not buying the most reliable brand of sports car. It will have problems it’s just a matter of when not if. I would never put my trust in the sales person for an answer on a clutch issue. As nice as he is his goal is to sell you the car. I feel this is best handled by you talking to the SA and the technician so you can start building a relationship. Ask them about the clutch and what would be covered. At this time Lotus is not completely stable, they will try to get out of repair work if its borderline abuse. Clutches are wear and tear items and manufactures normally don’t cover them under warrantee. I wish I could calm your fears but for anyone to suggest your clutch will be fine would be just a lucky guess.;)

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
About half the time I park ours somewhere someone lets me know they found it posted on Facebook.

·
Premium Member
6,241 Posts
Go for it. It has happened on maybe 10 cars out of ???

·
Registered
93 Posts
I bought my 2011 Evora in Dec '11, and have had only minor quality issues: the brake tell stayed on and speaker crossover needed to be replaced. I can confirm the normal transmission noise (most obvious at idle), and the odd rattle when engaging lower gears at lower RPM (also normal). Oh. And my left rear brake squeals like a stuck pig.

I think I was expecting worse - as lgevora noted - it's hand built, and built to perform. I'm no industrial engineer, but given the production runs (few) and the relative cost (low), I'm pretty sure Lotus' quality analysis and process re-engineering pales in comparison to the big car makers.

But then, of course, driving my Honda isn't an absolute joy.

Driving the Evora is.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
About half the time I park ours somewhere someone lets me know they found it posted on Facebook.
Almost everytime someone comments on my car they tell me they have seen my car on facebook.
After awhile you get used to people pulling up along side of you taking your cars picture:tadts:
I have only had minor issues with my car. Most are easy fixes. Good thing because so far my service experience has sucked. Almsost every minor problem I have had the service has not fixed the problem. i come here to get answers and fix it myself.

A purist would smack me, but half the reason I bought a Lotus is because of its great curb appeal. Not many cars have the WOW factor the Evora has. Bonus is the great performance.

I'm spoiled now, will never go back to a mass produced sports car.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I had my first facebook post by someone I did not know but one of my friends did and they tagged me in it - I finally got my first facebook stalker :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
I visited Gama about a month. Great folks. Spent a good couple hours talking to Dirac.

To the OP, if you have cold feet about this, then back out now and get a Caymen R. Not trying to be mean here..but if you are worried now, chances are you WILL be more worried after you buy car. Why stress yourself out?

FyI, I bought my 2011 evora more than couple months ago. First visit to the dealership and there were 12 work orders. All fixed now. Great tech. Amazing service advisor. Not my first lotus (sold my Elise, still have my s260). So I know what it is like to own a handbuilt car.

So far I have met and known 4 evora owners in so Cal (Ramtin, squid, ivor, carlos) despite the little glitches we have had, we love driving our cars.

Wow, cool to hear of Lotus guys who've either been here or are from here :) Lotus is sure rare over here in Taiwan. Porsches, you could it one if you threw a stone... wait, that's for Audi's! lol I've got my mind set on an Evora probably end of this year.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
I haven't had the clutch issue, but I have had a long list of other problems, mostly minor, fixed under warranty. I think the Evora is an amazing car, but it's likely to have issues. You should go into your contemplated purchase knowing this and be willing to deal with it. Make sure your dealer's service dept is competent and agreeable.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not very mechanically inclined so i doubt i would be able to work on the Evora. Plus the closest dealer is 5 hours away. And it pains me to read about all the horror stories regarding the Lotus. I think its the most awesome car there is, its just a shame it cant be more reliable.

Anyway, as you have probably guessed, I emailed the dealer and told them no thanks. Stuck with my Porsche Cayman now.

Mike

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm not very mechanically inclined so i doubt i would be able to work on the Evora. Plus the closest dealer is 5 hours away. And it pains me to read about all the horror stories regarding the Lotus. I think its the most awesome car there is, its just a shame it cant be more reliable.

Anyway, as you have probably guessed, I emailed the dealer and told them no thanks. Stuck with my Porsche Cayman now.

Mike
Smart choice 5 hours away for some could be a pain. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,241 Posts
I respectfully think you should look at other vehicles unless you have some level of auto mechanic skills. A Lotus requires a bit of hands on knowledge to be most enjoyable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts