The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I found a decent elise in CA and I live in NM. The seller is currently in Canada and the car is with an attorney friend of his in CA. I know this is sounding fishy but hold on.

The guy wants to sell me the car using an online escrow service, has anyone used an online escrow before? This particular one is vip-escrow.com. I could not find any reviews on it so I am somewhat skeptical. Their phone number doesn't ring but their live chat did and they were very helpful.

The seller said I will have 2 days to inspect the car before the escrow service gives the money to him. Any thoughts anybody?

·
Registered
160 Posts
AJ:

I don't see any reason to involve a third party. I live in St. Louis and bought my Exige from a guy in Tampa. I wired him a deposit and flew down a week later to inspect the car. After looking at the car I called my bank and initiated a wire transfer for the balance. We waited 30 minutes and then he checked with his bank to confirm the transfer of funds. Done.

Just my $.02

Steve

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,609 Posts
I wouldn’t have an issue using an escrow company that I could confirm. If you cannot find any reviews of them or any record with the local BBB I would suggest using a different escrow company. I’m not sure why a small deposit couldn’t hold the car until you can see it in person or have someone else look it over for you. Just two days to inspect after funding the escrow?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'd say scam as well...

if that's the case then chances are he doesn't even have an Elise - ask him if he can send you a photo of the car with him holding a piece of paper with the current date written on it (say "weird but my wife asked me if you could do this dunno why...")

·
Asst. Helmet Tester
1,229 Posts
Where in California? There are many of us who can check the car before any money is passed. If he won't allow inspection before hand, you know to look elsewhere.
Yup, CA probably has the best statewide coverage of owners. Chances are someone on here is already familiar with the car, if it's a real car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts