The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum and considering strongly buying an Elise. I wanted to ask you guys about what extras (of the few available) I should consider and which I shouldn't. Also I would like to know some of the flaws and issues of this car, and, if available, workarounds for those. Maybe I can do some smaller modifications right from the start to avoid some common annoyances.

Anyway, here's the configuration I am considering:

Elise Sprint 220 (European version)
Noise dampening package (is it really worth it?)
Air conditioning (I know it weighs, but I can imagine that this car can get quite hot inside)
No sound system (I could easily build one in myself but not sure if it makes any sense)
Hardtop (dealer says most people don't use it but I have read the soft top often isn't rain safe and hardtop looks better in my opinion)
No carpet but mats
Alcantara seats (faux leather for the side bars I think - Alcantara seems too expensive and sensitive for this to me)

Not that it should matter, but color is most likely going to be black metallic, since I think it fits best the black applications of the car (like the black bezel of the front lights).

What are your recommendations, especially regarding hard top and noise dampening package, which the dealer didn't recommend?

What are the main issues of this car? Anything, like posts, links etc. I should know/read right from the start?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I regret not getting the hard top. After seeing other elises with theirs one. I'd probably almost never use it as this is my sunny weekend driver, but still it completes the package.

This forum is mainly USA people so we are just jealous that you get a sprint while we have federal '05s.

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Golden Gate Lotus Club has videos on such things IIRC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Didn't know this forum was mainly US.

The Sprint 220 seems like a good combination to me. Still light, powerful engine, still usable on normal roads though, not race tracks like the Cup models (which are much more expensive also).

Regarding the hard top: I just prefer its look to the soft cover, since it's painted. The disadvantage I see is that it's impossible (?) to store in the car when you decide to remove it on a sunny day trip. The soft top is better in that regard.

Sure, I will most likely drive the car only on sunny days, but what if you're on a weekend trip and the weather suddenly changes? With your hard top at home, this isn't going to be fun anymore.

I have watched the Golden Gate Lotus Club videos and they were really interesting. Mainly covering the older models, though (since newer models of the Elise aren't sold in the US). From the videos I couldn't spot any major issues of the Elise regarding reliability, despite the camshaft issues I suppose. Not sure if this issue still exists with the newer models.

Do you have any more feedback about what I should consider or not when buying this car? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I have two hard tops...never use them (factory body-colored hard top, and the clear/tinted Visium top). If I was only going to have one, it would be the Visium. Easier to install and remove than the factory top, and you can see through it (making it seem less claustrophobic). But I almost-never use either of them.

I have the touring pack as well (which, I think, includes the noise-dampening stuff...carpets, etc). Car still rattles like a '72 Dodge Dart. Just one of the quirks. If you want a quiet, rattle-free car, buy a Lexus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts