The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if i'm not looking in the right places but there seems to be a shortage of CO elises her in CA. I was wondering how much of a headache it would be to purchase an out-of-state car? I have a friend who tells me she had to pay nearly $4k in fees trying to register a truck from oregon.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm in the process of registering my Exige S 240, that I had shipped from another state.

The only fees you would have to pay are sales tax and registration fees, along with a smog test.

I had a headache with my smog test. The guy who did my test put the car in as a 49 State Federal car instead of a 50 State California car, even though the emissions label clearly says that it conforms to California emmissions. The result was a "Notification of Noncompliance," which would not allow me to register the car. I found this out at the DMV when they wouldn't accept my smog certificate. I had to go back to the smog test facility, show them my emmissions label again, and finally got a legitimate smog certificate.

I'll be heading to the DMV again to register my car on Monday. I'm not exactly looking forwar to cutting a check for the sales tax and registration. :crazyeyes

not sure if i'm not looking in the right places but there seems to be a shortage of CO elises her in CA. I was wondering how much of a headache it would be to purchase an out-of-state car? I have a friend who tells me she had to pay nearly $4k in fees trying to register a truck from oregon.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
This has been covered before...:D

If you can't front the 4K+ in sales tax, then pay the originating state sales tax and California will credit you as long as it shows correctly on the sales contract. That way you can finance the sales tax along with the car.

This is only applicable to buying new. Buying used out of state complicates things.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The issue of being a "California emissions compliant car" applies to cars under 7500 miles. If the car has over 7500 miles and is legally registered in another state, you should be able to register it here by filling out some paperwork and paying the sales tax (less any sales tax paid in another state).

Really no more work or cost than buying a car here other than the local dealer not taking care of everything.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Clearly, most of the "fees" your friend paid was in fact the sales tax, which cannot be avoided. A smog test also cannot be avoided (unless the car is older than '72 or is being registered under SB100). Tax liability might be reduced if you can show that YOU paid sales tax on the vehicle when it was registered in another state. As Randy said, the key is whether the car has more or less than 7500 miles on it since that determines if the car is used or new for registration purposes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts