The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Fabulous wealth of information on the Forums here, and exceptionally cordial. :clap:

I am looking at a few 2005 Elise's most of which are around the 25K-30K mileage mark. I am trying to compile a list of things to check out / verify before making my decision and wanted some input from anyone willing to give it.

1) A/C
1a) Make sure A/C Drainage Holes are Drilled
1b) Make sure A/C Resistor Pack is in Good Condition.

2) Engine Codes
2a) P0420
2b) P1301/P1302

3) Drivetrain
3a) Make sure Shifter Recall Performed

4) Misc
4a) Door Locks - Make sure Key FOB/Locks Works Properly
4b) Trunk Latch/Locks - Make Sure they Work Properly
4c) Check for Door/Window Rattles
4d) Check for Window Air Noise/Leaks

I'm planning on buying from a dealership, and due to the mileage I'll assume Headlight Alignment and Wheel Alignment were already performed. I am also hoping some of the issues will have been 'worked out' already with the higher mileage.

Additionally, as far as an ECU Dump - Would this be a reasonable request / telling of any issues?

TIA.

-Matt

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
i'd say get the car from someone here than a dealer becuase you can get more info on the car and you'll have the whole forums opinions on it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I would closely inspect the chassis and body for signs of damage or previous repairs. It doesn't take much of an impact to send these things to the recycle bin.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
make sure all the recalls were done on the 05's, including the drilled holes as you mentioned, the shifter recall, and one or two others. Also make sure you get 2 working key fobs if you can. I was told on my early 05 that I can't program a new key fob and would have to get a new alarm controler for over a grand. Haven't really looked into it, but that's what I was told by one dealer after I wasn't able to program a new fob with the correct alarm code.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would closely inspect the chassis and body for signs of damage or previous repairs. It doesn't take much of an impact to send these things to the recycle bin.
Yes. I plan on inspecting the car for all 'normal' abuses that can happen to any car. I guess the point of this thread was to try and compile a list of common issues specific to the 2005 Elise.

As for buying Private vs Dealership. I guess my thinking was to buy from a dealer and pop for the extended warranty. I know it's a crapshoot as to whether I'll use it or not, but it'd probably help me sleep at night. :)

Thanks for all the input thus far.

-M

·
Registered
855 Posts
make sure all the recalls were done on the 05's, including the drilled holes as you mentioned, the shifter recall, and one or two others. Also make sure you get 2 working key fobs if you can. I was told on my early 05 that I can't program a new key fob and would have to get a new alarm controler for over a grand. Haven't really looked into it, but that's what I was told by one dealer after I wasn't able to program a new fob with the correct alarm code.
If you have one key fob that works try this:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/how-program-key-fob-17358/

The directions in the manual really do not cover how to program and even dealers have trouble. You should be able to get more fobs programmed. I have three working fobs for my car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shifter Recall added to the list. I will see if I can find other recalls.

Thanks!

-M

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Don't assume the headlight or suspension alignments are right. I bought my car through a dealer and the left headlight was way off. I am going to have the suspension aligned, as I don't think many dealers check.

I would buy private if everything seemed right. I think the cars are generally pretty sound. I personally think extended warranty is not worth it. I would think that a person could buy a Celica motor out of a wreck for peanuts and put Lotus induction, etc. on it, if needed. First, you have to blow the Toyota, which might take a bit of work.

Just MHO.

:up:

·
Registered
539 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi Matt

good luck with your purchase... here are a couple of links you should check out (if you haven't already.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/tips-buying-used-elise-exige-including-information-salvage-titles-26509/

and this one..is a link for a really nice Elise that's currently up for sale.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/fs-2005-storm-titanium-elise-tasteful-mods-60647/
FANTASTIC Link. I guess I should have looked for 'For Sale' Advice in the For Sale section. :rolleyes:

I saw that Elise for sale. Looks great, but Im just not really interested in shipping a car. I'd like to sit in it, drive it, then cut the check.

Again, thanks for the links.

-M

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Shifter Recall added to the list. I will see if I can find other recalls.

Thanks!

-M
If you're buying from a Lotus dealership, why don't you have them run the VIN and see if any or all campaigns have been done? Afterall, LCU pays the service department to do all these things and I know they won't skip out on it...getting paid by Lotus, that is ;)

Abe

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

·
Banned
874 Posts
Hello there, I can help you find a good deal or tell you if the price is right. Currently, AZSKYCOP has a car for sale which I give a :up::up: it is VERY well kept but if you have any others, you can just PM me the link or just tell me the details and price and I can help you with that:)

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
I agree on Not getting the Extended Warranty on this particular car ... (on my Range Rover I do have one...) , but this is a Celica engine as said before...cheap and easy to fix.

My 2005 Elise has been fine so far...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello there, I can help you find a good deal or tell you if the price is right. Currently, AZSKYCOP has a car for sale which I give a :up::up: it is VERY well kept but if you have any others, you can just PM me the link or just tell me the details and price and I can help you with that:)
Not to hijack this thread on a used Elise, but can you help with pricing on new models as well? I have looked everywhere and can't get any clear answer on what a "good" deal is on a new Elise.

·
Banned
874 Posts
Not to hijack this thread on a used Elise, but can you help with pricing on new models as well? I have looked everywhere and can't get any clear answer on what a "good" deal is on a new Elise.
Yes I'll be glad to help you with that just PM me:)

Also, you might wanna try BMW1 since he is more knowledgeable about the new ones. He'll find you 1, I'll tell u if the price is right;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you're buying from a Lotus dealership, why don't you have them run the VIN and see if any or all campaigns have been done? Afterall, LCU pays the service department to do all these things and I know they won't skip out on it...getting paid by Lotus, that is ;)

Abe
Of course. Im not going to skip on any of the 'standard procedures' again, this was focused on trying to come up with a list of what to watch for.

Every Elise I've driven has had bad headlight alignment. Even after going to the dealer to get it fixed, it still isn't right.
Yeah. I guess Im just hoping someone didn't drive their car for 20K-30K miles with poorly aligned headlights. :crazyeyes

-M

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree on Not getting the Extended Warranty on this particular car ... (on my Range Rover I do have one...) , but this is a Celica engine as said before...cheap and easy to fix.

My 2005 Elise has been fine so far...
Don't get me wrong, I am fairly confident on the powerplant, and not overly concerned even if I had to get it built. Here's my only argument on the Extended Warranty (call it fear, ignorance, stupidity): The last thing I want is to be shelling out for 'dumb' repairs: A/C, Door Locks, or other, let's call them 'Lotus Blossoms'. Repairs that tend to bloom over time. :)

I'm a fairly experienced mechanic, and have had my share of finicky vehicles that I maintained including three RX7s. However, I know I'm not going to have the time to pull the Clam(s), nor the desire to track down any 'weird' electrical/mechanical issues.

Maybe the more I research the more confident I'll be. But I guess starting with a 'worst-case scenario' and working my way back is just my normal path. :)

CertifiedCC - Thanks. I may bug you in the coming weeks.

-M

1 - 20 of 21 Posts