The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes::confused:
Hi All,
With pricing a little out of control in the North east, I have just decided to go the distance to get the vehicle at the right price.Here is a strategy:
1) Find and Agree on price for a 20K mile vehicle
2) Seller drives to the nearest Lotus dealership for a full pre purchase inspection (I will pay for inspection)
3) If inspection goes well, I fly down, conclude the sale, drive back 500-1500 miles or whatever it takes.
Anyone ever do this? One other option is transporting the vehicle and pay $2k more which nullifies the value proposition...
Has the Lotus been known to withstand long drives? I keep hearing issues around radiator, transmission etc...
What are your thoughts?
Cheers!
--njexpress

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Driven my 2006 Exige long distances with no problems. My last road trip (three weeks ago) was a same day 650 mile round trip between Los Angeles area and Mammoth Lakes, CA. The car was reliable, a missle when overtaking traffic on two lane roads, and very comfortable (has upgraded A/C, interior sound dampening, good stereo, and proper street tires). It still has the factory radiator and oil lines, which are regularly checked, and it has been very well maintained since new with 23,000 miles and 15 track days.

I say drive it, maintain it well and enjoy life on the open road and on the track. Let the frightened stay home in their bunny slippers sipping hot cider.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
funny enough, this is what I'm doing. Someone told me it may not be the best idea to drive a "new to you" car across the country. I think if you get it checked out and it gets a clean bill of health, why not?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Crazy idea. I would never do it

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
If its the right car I say do it! :up:

A couple years ago I spontaneously bought (a real steal) a mint Mazda Miata from the Florida Keys on a Saturday ... my wife and I took a red-eye out a day later, sealed the deal, and drove it back in 2 -1/2 days. It was one of the most fun trips we've ever done!!! We still talk about it.

Do it!! ... Enjoy it!!!

I've also taken long trips in the Lotus ... no worries.

:coolnana:

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i was going to do this, but ended up finding a local car. Hop on it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a ton for all the responses everyone! I will post my updates if I go that way! This sounds very encouraging!! I am looking to do upto a 1500 mile radius run over 2 full and one half day of driving, without pushing much...
Cheers!
--njexpress

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Crazy idea. I would never do it
rotflrotflrotflrotfl
Randy's right....noone has ever attempted such an insane thing. ( I don't take mine more than towing distance from home !! )

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just completed my road trip to pick up my car. I flew to Texas and drove the car 2200 miles back to Massachusetts. I made it a 5 day trip and tried to see a few places on my travels.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I must be the only one that gets a numb ass and a sore ankle after only an hour and half drive on the highway. I had mine shipped from CA to IL, I was going to drive it but couldn’t get the time off. After driving it now I’m glad I didn’t.

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
This isn't really a big deal.

It's a car, meant to be driven.

I've driven straight up from Miami to NJ a few times, about 17-18 hrs, stopping only for peeing/gas.

Yes, my gas gauge and bladder are synchronized...

I bet you really enjoy your drive.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Bring tools, Radiator fluid, oil, etc... A little insurance goes a long way.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Get AAA just in case. Remember, no spare tire. Good to have even if you were not driving far. Flatbed tows are expensice, AAA is not.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Do it.

I would make sure I have the following:

- Garmin or phone GPS unit
- Fix a flat
- A pack of fuses (Autzone = $5)
- an ODB reader. If you throw a CEL, you can pop the ODB to roadside triage
- internet connected phone - seriously, if you encounter something funky, do a search on LT can help. It's saved my bacon a few times (hence the fuses thing).

Another thing - make SURE to map your route. I ask because these aren't the cars you want to wind up in funky neighborhoods in. Keep is tight and safe.

Also, track the weather. These cars don't love big rainstorms, so if you see something funky, take the time and park at a hotel with covered parking or a Starbucks/Wafflehouse/roadside brothel and wait it out.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
So when I bought mine I was going to have the car shipped, as most of the cars I was looking at were on the east coast. South Carolina, Florida, and so on. To ship the car (I didn't care if it was in an open container or closed container) I was quote a closed container shipping price of about $900~$1000 to ship it, door to door. When I did the math at the time, based on airplane ticket, fuel costs, and food costs (the idea for me would have been sleep in the car) it was far more economical to ship the car. Plus at the time I didn't have the time to fly down and drive it back.

Yet, when I found my car in california, the shipping cost from LA to my house, was $600 (I don't know how their cost pricing works) and to drive it back home I was able to do the full trip for $480. So I flew down, gas, food for two people, and none stop driving between the two of us, I was back the next day and saved about $150 out of the trip.

So really, it depends on your financial state, the time to do it, how you want/mind the car to be shipped, and location of the vehicle.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts