The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, did a search and came up with more of a squeeky toy noise while cornering.

When I corner right hard a distinct buzz is audible, kinda sounds like vibrating thin metal. Can't be my speaker grills as I have changed the speakers to ones with out.

A friend says he has heard this noise before and its from rubbing. Took the wheel off and no signs of rubbing. All the fixings are tight, no play in any of the joints.

It happens sometimes while turning left, but with more force then turning right.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyones?

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Where is the sound coming from?

I get a mostly buzz/occasional rattle from where the top of the rear bulkhead trim panel vibrates against the under cover of the seat belt attachment bar (roll bar). It initially sounded like it was coming from the rear wheel well. Took a long arse time to find out where it was coming from.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To me it sounds like it comes from the front left wheel when turning right, and front right wheel when turning left.

Im going to go for a drive now and ill try and pinpoint the noise.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
What is your ride height set at? Front tires will rub on the fender wells at speed when car is at 110mm IIRC. It will burn holes thru the front fender liners.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stock ride height. The only time I noticed the fronts rub is on the track under full braking.

·
Registered
168 Posts
From your description, I´d say it the front wheels ball bearings.
I had the problem once on my S1
Sounded scary, and I couldn´t find out where it cames from.
What helped find out was that the noise was stronger while turning on one side that the other.
It was an easy fix: just got the ball bearings changed. Can´t remember the cost of changing them, which means it was acceptable.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From your description, I´d say it the front wheels ball bearings.
I had the problem once on my S1
Sounded scary, and I couldn´t find out where it cames from.
What helped find out was that the noise was stronger while turning on one side that the other.
It was an easy fix: just got the ball bearings changed. Can´t remember the cost of changing them, which means it was acceptable.
Well if that were the case there should have been wheel play if i jacked the car up and tried to move the wheel side to side. Its rock solid.

Next im going to try and pull the liner and drive with out it and see if it goes away or changes sound as it rubs against something else. But I now have 2 new issues, intercooler duct has broken off, and 2nd gear syncro is failing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts