The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm selling a BWR supercharger kit and I have a potential customer who has a Katana installed and is thinking of getting my kit to use as a set of spares.

Do the kits use the same length nose piece on the blower?
If the manifolds were swapped, would the Katana belt configuration still work, or would the blower be too far out of position?
If not, would it work to swap out both the manifold and blower? (The customer does not want to have to reconfigure the belt or move the alternator).

Any accurate input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I suddenly remembered I have a Greddy manifold and intake pipe laying around here. I dug it out and compared. They are very nearly the same piece, with a couple of small differences in the details. The BWR has a nicer finish.

Here are some comparisons:
The Greddy is raw aluminum; BWR coated black.
Note the hose barb on the Greddy. The BWR has a tapped fitting in another spot.
PICT1293.jpg

Another view.
PICT1294.jpg

Profile. The boss visible on the BWR is a tapped and plugged fitting; the red is sealant.
PICT1298.jpg

The fitting from below.
PICT1308.jpg

More pictures next post.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The intake pipes are almost identical...
PICT1302.jpg

... but the layout of the hose barbs differs. The BWR barbs are more substantial.
PICT1301.jpg

I did come across one feature that makes a real, although small, difference. The pictures stink but I'll describe what I'm trying to show. I'm using a CD case as a straightedge to see where this plane falls in relation to the blower outlet. Note that the extended plane clears the flange. The gap is about 1/16".
PICT1303.jpg

On the Greddy, the plane is in a different spot. It falls a little more than 1/8" inside the edge of the flange.
PICT1307.jpg

The total difference is a bit shy of 1/4". So the Greddy manifold carries the blower a little closer to the head. Switching to the BWR manifold would position the blower about 1/8" higher and 1/8" closer to the firewall. I would guess that the belt routing would not be significantly affected, and the same length belt could be used.

Anyone have some experience with this issue?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts