The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mechanically, what is the difference? Standing back from the layers of threads discussing this, is seems like its mostly a tune issue? I guess you can change the pulley on all of them for more boost and twiddle another 5HP. All the superchargers seem to produce a very similar output with a more "aggressive" tune. CharlieX boosted the Exige S to these other options as well.

All use the Eaton MP62 blower.
S240 has an Intercooler with wider roof intake.
BWR has their own custom designed intake manifold.
Fill in extra details that actually make a 10+ HP difference.

Maybe this is more to my point. I bought a well kept, barely used 2005 Lotus Elise with 3700 miles on it for roughly 1/3rd off the new price, and I am adding a BWR Supercharger this weekend for a little over $5k.
Why would you spend twice the money on a S240 if it has about the same power/weight? Traction control, intercooler, and slightly bigger brakes are a nice plus, but another $30k+? New car smell isn't worth a 2X multiplier. And If I were racing this car, aftermarket intake/exhaust, wheels, wings, carbon bits, yada yada yada still wouldn't add up to the $30k+. Oh well. Just a rant as I start to look at the numbers and charts floating about. I haven't seen track times with the same driver with BWR or Katana vs S240.

Standing back and looking at all of this research that I did for choosing a supercharger made me a little puzzled. I just wanted a lot more umph on my spirited rides and found chart addicts obsessing over varying graphs. On the other hand, without the discussion and competition, we wouldn't get nearly this amount of power or quality.

Keep fighting men, it makes my purchase decisions easier in the end. I still can't justify anyone buying a new S240 though.

S240 - peak 228HP - 158t
BWR - peak 223HP - 146t
Katana - peak 216HP - 142t
I'm sure we can start debating location of dyno, temp, software, etc... haha, its all good. A hell of a lot better than my stock elise, at 162HP

Attachments

·
Registered
992 Posts
Maybe this is more to my point. I bought a well kept, barely used 2005 Lotus Elise with 3700 miles on it for roughly 1/3rds off the new price, and I am adding a BWR Supercharger this weekend for a little over $5k.
Why would you spend twice the money on a S240 if it has about the same power/weight? >>> some of us are doing/have done exactly this. There's obviously no right answer, just how you like to spend your money. The 240s are killer but I'm taking your path as well. An Elise weighs a little less of course, usually has a little better visibility and but generates less downforce.

I dont care about TC, but I do about the new car smell, esp. if it's lavendar musk with a hint of burnt cocoa. That's the best.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
To the OP, it's more than just peak HP. It's about the power and torque band as well as the quality of ECU tune. Don't forget about the reliability of the kit and quality of components. You have to factor in all of those things when looking for the S/C solution that's right for you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
And thank you will for simplifying the topic. I was going a little crazy myself scanning through all the threads. It has never been put so strait forward and to the point.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Like Rice Patrol, I too am going a bit loony trying to monitor all the threat traffic on the supercharger wars. I was hoping someone would write the "Cliff's Notes" version of this epic battle for our power-hungry hearts. Will, you've helped get that process started, and I thank you for that.

Now... If I could just come up with the $5k I need to pull the trigger and get this done! :wallbang:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I bought a well kept, barely used 2005 Lotus Elise with 3700 miles on it for roughly 1/3rds off the new price, and I am adding a BWR Supercharger this weekend for a little over $5k.
Why would you spend twice the money on a S240 if it has about the same power/weight? Traction control, intercooler, and slightly bigger brakes are a nice plus, but another $30k+? New car smell isn't worth a 2X multiplier. And If I were racing this car, aftermarket intake/exhaust, wheels, wings, carbon bits, yada yada yada still wouldn't add up to the $30k+. Oh well.
well, for argument sake, unless you got a screaming deal, I doubt you paid less than $30k for your car. - and a new Elise can be had for around $50k, so you're pushing it a little saying that you got one for 1/3'rd off the price of new.
The brand new model would also have a 3 year warranty, and a factory cup holder! :D

new cars always take a hit in value the moment they're driven off the lot.
and 3 year old used cars, even if never driven, will always be significantly cheaper than new. I think I read that the Lotus actually had a better resale value than most cars in its class.

Dropping a supercharger into a used Elise is a great performance bargain, but I'm sure lots of people have no qualms about spending $25-30k more for a brand new supercharged Lotus with a factory warranty.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Not sure if I have a good answer and I'm not a gear head, but I know everything will work correctly and if it doesn't Lotus has to fix it.

If you're going to keep the car for 30 or 40 years mine will be worth more...ha ha.

O yea - I just think the intercooler is cool and now all my scoops actually work, unlike an 06 Exige.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
In hundreds of topics and thread after thread, there are little nuggets of real and usable data about each kit, and I find it interesting to try and sum it up with 3 little images that can't tell the tale of hundreds of man hours fiddling, churning, and typing online. These graphs don't represent vaporware, or pictures of a one of a kind test kits, but they do show relatively tested and available single solutions for our cars' power.

I actually bought my elise at 1/3rd off of a "$50k" new car price, and I still have a warranty through Feb. 2009. You're right though, still no cup holder and no "new car" glue to smell, or led brake lights. I didn't get to break her in. I did add exige side scoops, and with this supercharger, you could say I'm a wanna be S240, sans wings and cool roof, although I really like the visibility and the sun. See here for my extensive/excessive writeup. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/elise-my-process-adding-exige-side-scoops-52852/ No doubt the S240 is awesome, I'm probably justifying my method of obtaining similar performance levels.

Its awesome to see such devotion to an engine and car though. ForceFed, CharlieX, BWR, Sector111 et al deserve a round of applause for having these "development races" with Lotus. The rate is absolutely fantastic considering the number of units that could be potential customers.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I actually bought my elise at 1/3rd off of a "$50k" new car price, and I still have a warranty through Feb. 2009. You're right though, still no cup holder and no "new car" glue to smell, or led brake lights. I didn't get to break her in. I did add exige side scoops, and with this supercharger, you could say I'm a wanna be S240, sans wings and cool roof,.
oh,. my bad,. I misinterpreted.. thought you said you got it for 1/3 the price of a new Lotus.
I paid the same for mine a year ago - 33% less than the price of a new Elise.

Your engine warranty will be voided the moment you put the supercharger on.

I'm staying NA, but might consider if the factory supercharger option if it is ever announced.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Maybe this is more to my point. I bought a well kept, barely used 2005 Lotus Elise with 3700 miles on it for roughly 1/3rds off the new price, and I am adding a BWR Supercharger this weekend for a little over $5k.
Why would you spend twice the money on a S240 if it has about the same power/weight? Traction control, intercooler, and slightly bigger brakes are a nice plus, but another $30k+? New car smell isn't worth a 2X multiplier. And If I were racing this car, aftermarket intake/exhaust, wheels, wings, carbon bits, yada yada yada still wouldn't add up to the $30k+. Oh well. Just a rant as I start to look at the numbers and charts floating about. I haven't seen track times with the same driver with BWR or Katana vs S240.
Now I have been living under a rock for a month or so, so I suppose this could have changed recently, but neither the BWR nor Katana are road legal. For this reason, a nice, EPA/CARB approved solution from lotus is worth its weight to some.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Now I have been living under a rock for a month or so, so I suppose this could have changed recently, but neither the BWR nor Katana are road legal. For this reason, a nice, EPA/CARB approved solution from lotus is worth its weight to some.
Do you mean to say that they are not road legal in California or that they are not road legal in any of the 50 states?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
None of them are technically road legal, if you follow the letter of the law and someone wants to make a fuss out of it they could try, but since there are so many people doing it ( it'd apply to all cars and aftermarket people ) it'd be a mess to prosecute.

never let them catch up, thats my motto!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts