The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I installed a BWR SC on my 2006 Elise, I have an Arqray twin muffler, stock intake and track pack. My initial thoughts regarding the SC upgrade are great. It makes the car much more driveable. The vehicle now feels like a V6 as opposed to an inline 4. Gone is the surge of power once you reach the second cam. That feeling has been replaced by a very linear increase in power from 4,500 rpm till redline. It’s not an overwhelming feeling of power, it just seem to keep pulling fairly hard until it’s time to shift.

I have yet to Dyno but based on the numbers posted by others one would think a BWR SC would outperform the 2008 Elise SC with 218hp (crank?). It was my belief that the performance of the BWR SC car with 220+rwhp would be more on par with that of an Exige S240.

My car feels quick, but it’s tough to gauge how quick. A co-worker drove my car the other day and stated that his 2001 BMW M5 felt like it was quite a bit quicker than my car. Interested in finding out which car was actually quicker we went to a desolate stretch of Prairie highway. Without question my car handles and brakes better than his 4dr sedan. The question was car my Lotus keep up in the straights.

On paper his M5 does 0-60 in 4.8 sec/ and 0-100 in 11.3
A 2008 Elise SC does 0-60 in 4.4 sec / and 0-100 in 10.7
A Exige S240 does 0-60 in 4.0 sec / and 0-100 in 10

Given these figures one would expect a Lotus with a claimed hp of 215-225 should be able to give a 2001 M5 a run for its money. Right? Wrong…

1st gear rolling start 5,500rpm, equal acceleration in first, quarter car length for the BMW in second, half car length for the BMW in third and so on. The BMW gear after gear kept gaining distance. No missed shifts for either of us, 8400 rpm shifts in the Lotus.

2nd gear rolling start 5,500rpm, BMW m5 pulled harder through second and pulled even harder through third (car length and gaining). I was definitely out matched.

We did a half dozen runs and two rolling starts at 6500 rpm in the Lotus, even during a few I jumped the gun. Not one of these runs did I ever gain distance on the bloody M5.

Is the poor Elise just out matched? Should I be getting my car Dyno’ed?

Anybody else with a Katana or BWR finding themselves out matched by car they should clearly be out performing.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
who says you should be clearly outperforming an M5 in those tests? you are battling an M5 with a V8.

Lotus achieves those acceleration times because of its launch. The car is still low on torque compared to the M5 and that will hurt you in these rolling start tests.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Car with the better trap speed ordinarily wins any head-to-head roll-on after 25 MPH.

'01 M5 should trap mid-low 13s at 108 - 110 MPH, using a 3000 RPM launch.

Supercharged Elise with ~ 220 to the wheels should be in the 12.7 @ 107 range IF you dump the clutch (like magazine testers do) at 7500 RPM. Ouch. Not recommended if you value your drivetrain. 3000 RPM soft launch should slow that to mid 13s at 104ish.

I know this because I ran this exact test on my '93 MR2 Turbo with 1.05 bar boost (222 RWHP / 250 lb ft):
5500 RPM launch = 1.9 sec 60' time and 13.3 @ 104.
2500 RPM soft launch = 2.3 sec 60' and 14.5 @ 97.
Like the Elise, the MR2T gets a lot of its 1/4 mile from the first 60 feet. Brutal launch can get you ~ 1 sec and 5-7 MPH (assuming the car's ideal is under 110 MPH 1/4 trap speed) at the risk of developing a first-name basis with your parts counter. Thus, I've used that "correction factor" for any tuning & bench racing after 1997...

So my 420 RWHP S2000 on stock diff launched soft at 2500 RPM? 12.8 @ 122.6 MPH. Tempted to beef up the diff and try a 4000 RPM leave once or twice to see if I could get deep into the 11s at maybe 126, but that's not what the car's quick spooling but small GT3076R turbo is made for -- auto-x and street driving.

It's tempting to build a stupid powerful 2ZZ (380 RWHP) and see what a 1950 lb Elise would run. Near McLaren F1 performance envelope on a budget, but alas I need to buy a garage & back yard for my dog (with a house as an afterthought).

Stanford

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It's a matter of torque, not peak HP. The SCs fall a bit short on torque compared to the turbos but I'm very surprised you couldn't outrun a M5 on a straight line. A BMW M6 couldn't keep up with my turbo Elise from 0-80, ended up well over a car length behind, and that was from a soft launch too.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Of course, you already know that you are asking the lotus to play another car's game.

The Lotus shines in its cornering grip. look up the grip tables for the big magazines and you will find only a handful with higher numbers.

M5 is designed to be quite agile for freeway/autobahn conditions. Lotus is designed to be agile on the track.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
It's a matter of torque, not peak HP. The SCs fall a bit short on torque compared to the turbos but I'm very surprised you couldn't outrun a M5 on a straight line. A BMW M6 couldn't keep up with my turbo Elise from 0-80, ended up well over a car length behind, and that was from a soft launch too.
The hundred or so hp advantage you have over the OP might play a part (forced induction method notwithstanding)? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I find that odd too. Gearing and torque make it a harder car to nail in straight line performance but if it would have been me lining up next to that M5 Id feel very confident, but a little less now hah

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The hundred or so hp advantage you have over the OP might play a part (forced induction method notwithstanding)? :shrug:
Nope, my WHP is marginally better than the aftermarket SC options. My torque however has a 30-40 lb-ft advantage though ;) I run the 340 kit on pump gas, it's not putting out 340 crank hp on 91 octane.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Darksol ran a 12.4 at 110mph with 230rwhp.
Stock ExigeS run 12.8 at 108mph with 200rwhp.

So... a stock Katana or BWR should run around 12.6 at 109mph. ;)

What's the trap on the M5? I doubt it is over 110mph. But if it is, you have your answer. If it's not, either his car is strong (or modified) or yours is weak.

I know me and some others had belt slipping problems. Maybe that's your case. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
A 350z killed me

I was beat by a 350z. The lotus is beautiful, but it is not a fast car. If you want to go fast in a lotus, you better NOT have a passenger, and you better rev that little 4 banger till it explodes. Im a little dissapointed by the lack of power in the lotus, and I am also sad that it seems almost impossible to get 300hp with aftermarket parts. The only thing i can do is turn down potential races, which is a SHAME. :mad:

2006 NA Exige

:shift: <- I WISH!!

Wow, I Really hate to say it, but the lotus toyota engine is not enough!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I was beat by a 350z. The lotus is beautiful, but it is not a fast car. If you want to go fast in a lotus, you better NOT have a passenger, and you better rev that little 4 banger till it explodes. Im a little dissapointed by the lack of power in the lotus, and I am also sad that it seems almost impossible to get 300hp with aftermarket parts. The only thing i can do is turn down potential races, which is a SHAME. :mad:

2006 NA Exige

:shift: <- I WISH!!

Wow, I Really hate to say it, but the lotus is a "wanna be" super car.
Where to start...............

1) The Exige has 190hp. If you thought that was going to be sufficient to rule the world of street racing, you were clearly mistaken.
2) I have never met a single Elise/Exige owner that thought their car was a "super car". That key wanna be ingredient is missing.
3) Unless you know otherwise, the 350Z that beat you could have been twin-turbo modded.
4) I know from experience that installing a Forcedfed 275 Turbo on these cars completely changes the driving experience. My Forcedfed 275 Elise would have killed my Carrera S.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
well since the s/cer install ive had very! little encounters with stop light drags, if you will. of the two events i have had, one an older SS impala. at 100, i as 7-8 lengths in front (and as i found out a bit further down he had his pedal to the floor. (3000k launch) and the other, a brand new viper. 10mph rolling drag. i was dead on his bumper the whole way up to 120. and yes he was full out! we did this at 10mph in first, and again at about 25 mph i was in 2nd. although for the 2nd run i was not attached to him, he wasnt pulling on me either...

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
1st gear rolling start 5,500rpm, equal acceleration in first, quarter car length for the BMW in second, half car length for the BMW in third and so on. The BMW gear after gear kept gaining distance. No missed shifts for either of us, 8400 rpm shifts in the Lotus.

2nd gear rolling start 5,500rpm, BMW m5 pulled harder through second and pulled even harder through third (car length and gaining). I was definitely out matched.
that is why you lost...
the elise is faster from 0-60 because it is WAY faster off the line, if you do rolling starts you totally negate your advantage.

if you ACTUALLY do a 0-60 race and you are decently skilled with launching you would win

1 - 20 of 39 Posts