The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to take the plunge and get a VF II. I already have a BWR and was wondering how many people out there have already done this. How much difference in power is there? I am not talking about numbers. I'm talking about how much difference it feels when you floor it.
I am also going to get the header ported and eliminate the cat. Any commits as far as a good or bad thing?
Thursday I am supposed to get a dyno of the before. I have read it will be somewhere around 225. After the install, I will do it again to get an after.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I had the Katana, and it made a huge difference in how it drives. Here's the thread: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160/latest-install-vf2-goodies-71183/

Porting the header & deleting the cat will both help horsepower if you get a custom tune. Otherwise, you may end up running lean, especially from the cat delete. The stock header porting seems less problematic.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your Saikou Michi dual catch can for the blow by oil. Since I am doing all this stuff starting next week, and have the clam off, I may do the catch can also.

·
Registered
772 Posts
So I take it, BWR is not coming out with a stage 2 for their kit? -poke- :shrug:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Is your Saikou Michi dual catch can for the blow by oil. Since I am doing all this stuff starting next week, and have the clam off, I may do the catch can also.
Yes, the catch can is nice even with the stock motor, but almost mandatory with an intercooler to keep oil mist from coating the inside of the intercooler and reducing its efficiency. The latest version of the Saikou Michi cans are an easy install.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,114 Posts
I went from na to vf2, but I'm sure you will be happy especially because the power is consistent with the IC.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I bought the BWR and had it upgraded to VF2 before install, so technically cant tell you the difference between BWR and VF2. But I can promise you that you will like the howl on acceleration that comes with the VF2 from the cold air intake. The engine bay will be much more crowded from intercooler and pipes. The supercharger whine is minimal (drats). The acceleration went from Honda Civic quality to Corvette. No longer embarassed about lack of power.

I tried to buy the catch can like 3 months ago, no response ever. Not sure they still make. Later discovered that people who put them on removed them because of no significant output (ie Darksol).

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
It's true that some engines have far less blow-by than others. YMMV. For myself, I'd rather err on the side of caution, and never have to worry about oil getting into the intake sysytem. It's a chore to properly clean the intercooler after it gets coated with oil internally. That, and oil can lead to detonation problems.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,114 Posts
I have the Saichua Michi (spelling?) cans. They work great as evinced by blowby oil accumulating in the bottom. Production cars don't have them because it would be one more system to maintain.

I drain them every oil change and get about a .25-.5 cup of oil depending on
how I've been driving.

I had them before supercharging with the vf2 kit and still get about the same amount. NA cars benefit also. \
-Robert

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I drove my Katana back to back with a VF2. Basically feeling wise there is not a big difference. Torque is so linear on both car, the VF2 doesn't feel that much more powerful.

When we drove both cars against each other, it was obvious the VF2 was a good deal faster. I'd say the VF2 pulls as hard as a Porsche GT3. :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts