The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if I am looking at apples to apples here.
I have a few track days coming up and REALLY want to get the toelinks done first. So i am looking at
BWR Race Toe-Links
because sector111 is out of
DSbrace - light rear toe link brace for your Lotus

Are these the same two products? I want this done before June 23rd when my next track day is, plus an alignment would be nice and that needs to be done right away. I just don't want to buy the BWR toelinks if that is not the right product for a car that will see 7 track days this year to fix the issue of the well known broken toe links. It looks like the sector 111 kit is just a brace and not the actual links and the BWR kit looks like links, not a brace.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Both are Toe-link kits.
Sector 111 re-uses the outer ball joints from your existing link (website pictue only shows one set of heim joints). The inner joint (which is replaced with a stronger heim joint) is normally the point of failure on the stock toe-links.
BWR uses heim joints on both ends and requires you to ream out the existing frame and lower A-arm hole with a 7/16th drill to accept the beefier bolt which goes in the inboard hole the old ball joint went through.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
The BWR kit is the BOE solution I believe. It features massive links and is a nice piece of kit. The downside is that you have to drill through your controll arm bushings and your subframe.

I have never used the DS brace, but it looks nice in concept and would be easier to install. There are a few kits which tie the links together available from the vendors. These are a bit more expensive.

My perspective as an ME is that upsizing the links (boe/Bwr) is the most elegant solution but it is a bit more painfull. I think any of the 5 or so kits will add enough strength to make the car safe. If you are bouncing off alot of curbing on slicks you might start to worry about which is best.

·
Banned
3,239 Posts

·
Vendor
3,094 Posts
We use the kit we sell on our XP Lotus with 12" rear slicks. You're gonna bend the car in half before you break the toe-link!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Sector 111 kit is on backorder, I have been told shipping perhaps by around the 18th. (I have had one on order for a while) May want to call them to find out for sure if you decide to order their kit.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Sector 111 kit is on backorder, I have been told shipping perhaps by around the 18th. (I have had one on order for a while) May want to call them to find out for sure if you decide to order their kit.
They just did a group buy that had LOTS of buys. I doubt they expected that much interest. It's worth the wait if you don't have a brace at all and don't want to drill, but the BWR is beefier, more expensive and does not provide double shear. As fzust said however, it's not going to break anytime soon.

Sector does sell a serious brace RTD2brace which is costly, provides double shear, links the two toe links together AND ties it all into the subframe.

Personally, I went with the DSbrace (hard to pass up that group buy) and kept the OEM track pack cross brace. My car had the cross brace by chance, even though I don't have the track pack...silly Brits. I don't think I would track down an oem cross brace if I didn't already have it, but my system is now similiar to the MWR setup (and was far less expensive).

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
i run the DSBrace from s111 personally & its a really nice kit...

the main issue from the factory (& its already been mentioned here) is that the inner chassis stud/bolt that holds the toe link arm to the frame tends to warp/snap because of improper torque from the factory & also apparently just not a strong enough bolt for the guys who really tax the suspension from track days

i have also seen that the factory link/arm itself can bend under extreme loads which will obviously cause some issues (alignment at minimum)

anyways, I bought the DSBrace kit because it addresses the common issues with the rear toe links (which from what i have read are really the only suspsension issues this car has from the factory)

some people like running an actual brace that supports those 2 studs through the chassis side of the toe link assembly... similar to a strut tower bar, but for the inner toe link ends (like what lotus eventually did when it revised the issue)... however i dont ever see my elise getting that type of track abuse nor do I think the DSBrace will ever need that type of rienforcment anyways

·
Registered
235 Posts
Help me out... Why does everyone seem to rule out the Lotus rear track brace solution? I'm considering it for Autocross legality reasons.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Help me out... Why does everyone seem to rule out the Lotus rear track brace solution? I'm considering it for Autocross legality reasons.
i dont think anyone is ruling it out... but for the price, that lotus brace alone simply isnt worth it (i also cant say for sure that the lotus brace is a complete solution as opposed to a longer term bandaid... otherwise why arent all these other aftermarket companies (BOE/S111/MWR) building/selling just a brace at a fraction of the lotus cost?)

better, cheaper options are avaliable

however i cant comment on whether the aftermarket options are legal or not in your events

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
Because they are not engineers and don't understand chassis design...the light weight of the Loti comes from making everything light! AND, if you overload it, the link bends/brakes saving the chassis! The chassis is not repairable; neither is the link...but if I have a choice of replacing one or the other, guess which one I'm going to design for... Let them take the “Beefy” link…I’ve got the Lotus brace on mine.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am Getting a Taylon Motorsport Brace kit. It replaces the inboard and outboard ball joints with rose joints (with dust covers), And adds a beam across the two inboards for double shear. And it looks awsome!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I guess I missed out on that group buy. I ordered it about a month ago with several other parts. They told me right from the get go it was on backorder, I decided to wait on it vs having my money refunded.

They just did a group buy that had LOTS of buys. I doubt they expected that much interest. It's worth the wait if you don't have a brace at all and don't want to drill, but the BWR is beefier, more expensive and does not provide double shear. As fzust said however, it's not going to break anytime soon.

Sector does sell a serious brace RTD2brace which is costly, provides double shear, links the two toe links together AND ties it all into the subframe.

Personally, I went with the DSbrace (hard to pass up that group buy) and kept the OEM track pack cross brace. My car had the cross brace by chance, even though I don't have the track pack...silly Brits. I don't think I would track down an oem cross brace if I didn't already have it, but my system is now similiar to the MWR setup (and was far less expensive).
My stock links are either worn out or loose. I can take the wheels and move them at 3 and 9 about 1"!

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I guess I missed out on that group buy. I ordered it about a month ago with several other parts. They told me right from the get go it was on backorder, I decided to wait on it vs having my money refunded.

My stock links are either worn out or loose. I can take the wheels and move them at 3 and 9 about 1"!
Yes, I think you just missed it. Definitely pull your diffuser and check your toe link bolts (the torque spec is around here somewhere). They should be checked periodically, even with a brace.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I bought a brace years ago from Sector111 which they no longer sell. It was intended to replace the factory track pack brace with a higher quality unit. It's very similar to the brace part of the RTD2 kit. I bought it with the intent to machine aluminum links and tool steel adapters to fit the frame 'slots' but I never got around to it. When S111 brought out the DS kit, I called them about selling me just the links and adapters. Unfortunately they don't assemble kits there, they buy full kits from a contractor. Shinoo suggested I just ditch the brace and get the DS kit. I decided to spend the same money, a bit less actually, and get a kit which also includes an upgrade of the outer joint and tapered pin. That's the BOE full kit. I ended up using the Sector brace I had and the bolts and nord-locks that came with it. I made a sleeve from O2 steel to take up the difference between that bolt and the new rod ends and cone spacer.

I know I will be selling the car and don't want to pass along any potential issues with the drilled control arm bushing. Say for example, a future owner needs to replace the bushings or upgrade to spherical bearings. I don't want them to have a surprise. That's the only reason I didn't use the BOE kit as supplied. It's well made, and a bargain at $225. For most track drivers it's an excellent choice.

I have some pictures of my setup. I'll try to post them up soon.
Edit: pictures below

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
BOE Links here. Love 'em.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Here's my hybrid braced rear link setup.

IMAG9073.jpg

The ball joints on the left link were looking rough. This one had a leak:

IMAG9074.jpg

... and this one had a crusty, crumbly spot in the boot that I'm sure was going to crack open before too long:

IMAG9075.jpg

I "memorized" the old link with this simple jig (the two wood parts are bored for a tight fit on the studs). The new link was then set up to the same length with good accuracy and no measuring. Repeat on other side. I then knew that the toe setting would be safe enough to drive to the alignment shop.

IMAG9078.jpg

Installed. Had to trim heat shielding.

IMAG9080.jpg

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
I "memorized" the old link with this simple jig (the two wood parts are bored for a tight fit on the studs). The new link was then set up to the same length with good accuracy and no measuring. Repeat on other side. I then knew that the toe setting would be safe enough to drive to the alignment shop.

Wow...great idea!

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
The BWR kit is the BOE solution I believe. It features massive links and is a nice piece of kit. The downside is that you have to drill through your controll arm bushings and your subframe. ...

My perspective as an ME is that upsizing the links (boe/Bwr) is the most elegant solution but it is a bit more painfull...
This is my feeling and why we went the direction we did. I HATE the cross bar. Anyone that does their own service, tracks the car, etc has got to agree. That cross bar just makes working on parts when you're in a hurry that much tougher. Heavy too. Makes no sense to me. If Lotus hadn't done that, I can't imagine anyone recreating that concept. I'd like to meet the person at Lotus that thought that was the best way to do it and give him/her the "What-for"...

I didn't really *want* to ream the bushing, but better hardware seemed like the best solution. The only way to do a good job at putting the part in double sheer requires welding a bracket in place and I didn't think many folks would be up for that...

I never hear of any of the aftermarket links breaking though. Some go longer between service than others. SSC and BOE (us) use the biggest rose joints so they probably go the longest between service intervals...

I would recommend that you do SOMETHING though. One of my lotus cars was acquired because it broke a stock toe-link while cruising down the highway. Never tracked, didn't hit anything. Just broke:eek: It can happen. That hardware is bad.

Cheers,

Phil

1 - 20 of 22 Posts