The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:clap:

Will be doing my swap after the holiday season(would do it now but getting all those presents can hurt your pockets, hahah)

Friend has the motor/trans all I need is the swap kit, k-pro and header. :D

Oh and if anyone needs a 2zz-ge, trans, and lotus ECU let me know, I will be getting rid of them.

-Ty-

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
I've been considering a K swap lately as well. Last week it occurred to me that K's are likely near the end of Honda's life cycle and new direct injected engines (turbo?) have to be on their way. Basically, have you thought about the K's being the best choice say, five years down the road?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Sweet! Good for you! I should warn you these swaps always end up way more than you think. whatsADSM and myself have experienced this. I would say take whatever you think it will cost and double it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sweet! Good for you! I should warn you these swaps always end up way more than you think. whatsADSM and myself have experienced this. I would say take whatever you think it will cost and double it.

Yeah I've been going over the cost again and again =P I'm going to make sure I have enough to finish it before I start it.

@yellow99s, the thing with that is are you prepared to wait those 5 years, plus an additional 2 to 3 for someone to manufacture a swap kit for the new engines?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Yeah I've been going over the cost again and again =P I'm going to make sure I have enough to finish it before I start it.

@yellow99s, the thing with that is are you prepared to wait those 5 years, plus an additional 2 to 3 for someone to manufacture a swap kit for the new engines?
Good idea. Surprises add up really quick! And you will certainly upgrade things you didn't plan to upgrade as you go along. Such as differential, intake manifold, throttle body, clutch. that's $2500 just off that list. Then throttle position sensor, fpr, fuel rail, oil pan, whoops another $1,100.

Just trying to help :) I am buying a lift and will do these on the side for anyone interested. I have a 400whp rotrex k20a2 exige that I built.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good idea. Surprises add up really quick! And you will certainly upgrade things you didn't plan to upgrade as you go along. Such as differential, intake manifold, throttle body, clutch. that's $2500 just off that list. Then throttle position sensor, fpr, fuel rail, oil pan, whoops another $1,100.

Just trying to help :) I am buying a lift and will do these on the side for anyone interested. I have a 400whp rotrex k20a2 exige that I built.

Right now it will be going in basically stock, the k20a2 has a rbc intake manifold, and that's it. So off the bat i shouldn't need ALL of that =P

Following months after i recover from the initial swap I will be throwing a supercharger on it and building it =D (That's when the money will start piling on =X

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RBC is right on the firewall. I had that and switched to the skunk2 intake manifold because of fitment. I would suggest you do the exact same thing

Will do, thanks for the heads up!

As far as the a/c goes does the k20 compressor not fit..period? or is it just the lines? (same goes with adapting the 2zz compressor to the k20) Just wanting to know so that I get the right compressor on there before installing it and playing with the lines, lol.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
You can make it fit using the 2zz compressor
Call tim at innovative for the ac solution as well as basic k swap header

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
He's not 100% done with the a/c solution as it needs a special fitting that he is working on. The stock line will hit the frame but I trust he will work it out. I saw the bracket in person so that's def done! :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can re do the lines thats not an issue :) so if thats the only problem im good. Im having a custom header made as well, so have that covered. Good to know the bracket is made for the ac :D

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Yes, the AC solution is not quite there, but Tim will eventually get it sorted.

You'll enjoy it :) The K20/24 is such a superior engine it's a shame they didnt come from the factory that way.

And yes I'll echo what other people have said...there are a lot of unexpected hiccups that are likely to happen along to way. Keep your head up during those tough times though!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Yes, the AC solution is not quite there, but Tim will eventually get it sorted.

You'll enjoy it :) The K20/24 is such a superior engine it's a shame they didnt come from the factory that way.

And yes I'll echo what other people have said...there are a lot of unexpected hiccups that are likely to happen along to way. Keep your head up during those tough times though!
100% agree! The biggest thing is protecting yourself through used parts purchases. I got screwed 2-3 times off my engine swap

1 - 20 of 41 Posts