The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 Lotus Evora GT Might Make Porsche Shoppers Think Twice

More power, handling by Lotus, and rarity make the Evora GT the iconoclast's choice.

Crude is too negative. Raw, although more accurate, sells the 2020 Lotus Evora GTshort. Intense is a fair descriptor for this mid-engine sports car but doesn't tell the whole story. Let's go with analog. Don't wince. We know that brings up images of vinyl records. But, forget the hipster. We mean it in the best possible sense.

HIGHS: Goes from good to great at 4500 rpm, the iconoclast's choice, the most analog driving experience.
Far larger and more refined than its Elise and Exige models, Lotus has been selling the Evora since 2010, and it has been the brand's only model in the United States since 2011. This year the updated Evora GT replaces the Evora 400, and it faces some serious competition. Its power, weight, size, and price make it a direct competitor to Porsche's new 718 Cayman GT4.

VIEW PHOTOS2020 Lotus Evora GT
Jessica Lynn WalkerCar and Driver

Weighing the Facts
Lightweight is to Lotus as four-wheel drive is to Jeep, and the Evora GT drops a claimed 71 pounds if you equip it with the carbon-fiber roof, rear deck, and diffuser as part of the optional $8000 Carbon Pack. At 3112 pounds, it's a featherweight of a modern machine, but a 718 Cayman only weighs about 30 pounds more. The last Evora 400 we tested weighed exactly 100 pounds more than this GT.

LOWS: Porsche 911 money, infotainment by Pep Boys, heavy clutch.
Every Evora has been powered by a transversely mounted Toyota-sourced 3.5-liter V-6. To make sure it's packing more oomph than the engine in a Sienna minivan, Lotus tops the V-6 with an Edelbrock supercharger that churns out 8.7 psi of boost. The result is smooth enough, torquey, and it gives a characteristic supercharger howl above 4500 rpm. This year the power climbs to 416 horses at 7000 rpm and 317 lb-ft of torque at 3000 revs. That's a gain of 16 ponies and 10 lb-ft over the 400, and it makes the rear-drive Evora GT the most powerful Lotus ever sold in the U.S. Unfortunately, an aggressive fuel cutoff spoils the fun as early as 6600 rpm in the default driving mode. Switch to the Sport and Race settings and the rev ceiling climbs to 7000 rpm—but only for two seconds and only in the first two gears. Toyota also supplies the standard six-speed manual transmission, and a six-speed automatic is offered if you want to lose the plot entirely. The shifter's mechanical feedback is exceptional, but its single-plate clutch is heavier than it should be. Its 4.0-second zero-to-60-mph time is sabotaged by a chunky shift into second gear.

VIEW PHOTOS2020 Lotus Evora GT
Jessica Lynn WalkerCar and Driver

The Analog Choice
Few cars are as easy to place in a corner as this Lotus. Ohlins dampers offer excellent body control and a livable ride, while the hydraulically assisted steering delivers telepathic feel and response. On a fresh set of tacky Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires (a Porsche spec tire, at that), the Evora understeered mildly and generated 1.04 g on the skidpad. It also stopped from 70 mph in 148 feet. Impressive numbers, but a standard 718 Cayman is even more comfortable and matches that performance on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, which aren't as aggressive as the Evora's Cup 2 tires.

Inside, the Evora's lack of refinement and rudimentary finish are a large part of its charm but also hold it back. You can drive a Cayman all day, every day, but after a couple of hours in the Lotus you're looking for reprieve from the Evora's cramped confines, buzzy aluminum pedals, and hard carbon-fiber seats. With creaky trim, hollow-sounding doors, and an Alpine infotainment unit that looks like something Best Buy would sell, it also continues the brand's tradition of kit-car build quality. Not exactly what you expect for an as-tested price of $131,795.

VIEW PHOTOS2020 Lotus Evora GTJessica Lynn WalkerCar and Driver

Would we rather have the 718 Cayman GT4? Absolutely. Heck, 132 large will buy a lot of 911. But even those machines don't deliver the pure exhilaration and visceral detail and feedback you get from the Evora. It's a special machine for the hard core. Alive in your hands. Analog in a digital world. And we mean that in the best possible sense.

Specifications
2020 Lotus Evora GT
VEHICLE TYPE
mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door coupe
PRICE AS TESTED
$131,795 (base price: $98,945)
ENGINE TYPE
supercharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection
Displacement
211 cu in, 3456 cc
Power
416 hp @ 7000 rpm
Torque
317 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm
TRANSMISSION
6-speed manual
CHASSIS
Suspension (F/R): control arms/control arms
Brakes (F/R): 14.6-in vented, cross-drilled disc/13.8-in vented, cross-drilled disc
Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2, Size F: 245/35R-19 (93Y) NO R: 295/30R-20 (101Y) NO

DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase: 101.4 in
Length: 173.0 in
Width: 73.0 in
Height: 48.1 in
Passenger volume: 48 cu ft
Cargo volume: 8 cu ft
Curb weight: 3112 lb
C/D
TEST RESULTS
Rollout, 1 ft: 0.3 sec
60 mph: 4.0 sec
100 mph: 9.5 sec
150 mph: 27.8 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 4.5 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 8.2 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 6.7 sec
¼-mile: 12.4 sec @ 111 mph
Top speed (mfr's claim): 188 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 148 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.04 g
C/D
FUEL ECONOMY
Observed: 20 mpg
EPA FUEL ECONOMY
Combined/city/highway: 20/17/26 mpg

·
Illegal Alien
5,157 Posts
"You can drive a Cayman all day, every day, but after a couple of hours in the Lotus you're looking for reprieve from the Evora's cramped confines, buzzy aluminum pedals, and hard carbon-fiber seats." I have driven my 410 on a 3500 mile road trip, I had zero issues getting back into the car for continuation. Interior is not cramped (and I'm not little at 240 lbs), pedals don't buzz and the Sparco seats while not as comfortable as the S1 Recaro's are still great for daily, track day or cross country drive.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just some very weird takes in there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I definitely found the commentary about comfort to be very strange. Every single person I have driven in my car has complimented how comfortable the seats and ride were. I will give them that the
interior build quality is not up to preacher standards but it's not bad and pedals definitely don't vibrate. I feel like they were just trying to play up what they could.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The Evora is cramped? I feel my 400 has a ton of room. Its almost amazing how much room it has looking at the car from the outside.

·
Registered
96 Posts
buzzy pedals... lol... even if that were true, it would be amazing to notice that with any kind of shoe on.

And isn't the throttle ride by wire? What would cause the buzzing?

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To me, this seemed off as well.

Heard same stuff when Elise debuted here.

But, once ensconced, it is a very comfortable car.

Drove straight thru from Miami to NJ twice. Felt terrific all the way and when I arrived. I am only 5'8" however.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am so glad I kept my super comfortable and non vibrating Evora 400 instead of paying through the nose to get a GT!

(I'm kidding, people! I cant imagine the GT is any less comfortable or refined than a 400 so the review does seem a tad strange.)

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Tester must be a fat a$$ to need a reprieve from the cramped cabin. I have done 8+ hr trips in Evora with wife and benn EXTREMELY comfortable. Her words, not mine!

Reactions: brightoncorgi

·
Recent Lotus Convert
2020 Evora GT
36 Posts
"Would we rather have the 718 Cayman GT4? Absolutely. Heck, 132 large will buy a lot of 911. But even those machines don't deliver the pure exhilaration and visceral detail and feedback you get from the Evora. It's a special machine for the hard core. Alive in your hands. Analog in a digital world. "

Not me - this is why I bought the Evora and NOT a Porsche.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Can’t believe the Evora wasn’t comfortable to the tester. I’ve done multiple trips nonstop between gas stations, and never experienced more comfortable car (even compared to a new Odyssey).
If anything I would prefer fabric seats, just for less slippery feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
Before getting recent 400, my wife and I tested the Cayman models. Rejected unanimously for a number of reasons, but especally by her because of claustrophobic cabin....the seat backs are essentially nonadjustable because rear bulkhead intrusion for example. Five hundred miles trips with no comfort problems....

·
Loves to talk
1,108 Posts
What a load of Porsche rose colored crap prose. Talk about missing the point and the details! Try buying a GT4 for 96k. Their tester was loaded with $40K of options that are not required to land a decent GT. Still, Lotus does itself no favors by supplying a tester speced and built to an option list that represents the most one can shell out for an otherwise perfectly acceptable 90K car.

And of course to name but one oddity, GTs are not delivered with Ohlins as standard (which would be a good thing but ain’t the deal). Suggests the author took but a cursory spin in the car and didn’t do the research.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
My observation is most Porsche owners are also fans of the Telefunken U46....

Reactions: lotusquacious

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Sounds like C&D is still subservient to their advertisers and partisan view points. Anyone who has ever been in any iteration of an Evora knows it is comfy once inside. Kit car? How tired can their analogies get?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a 2012 Evora S, which, as we all know, has less foot room than the newer models. Nevertheless, I have driven my car on three separate trips of 2,500 miles in the 15 months I've owned it. Uncomfortable? I completely disagree. I'm 6 ft, and I can't even use the clutch if the seat is all the way back. My car has the rear seat delete, and it will hold over 2 of the largest sized carry-on bags in the cabin behind the seats, with the trunk holding more luggage of the soft bag variety. The car is not overly loud even with a free flow exhaust, the AC works, and it is fine in rain, etc. OK, the radio is crap and you can't be a beached whale and still get in or out, but that's about all of my observations. I suspect the reviewer was either perpetuating old stereotypes, or - perhaps - not very physically fit. In any event, I think it was inaccurate in many of its negatives.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Problem with his premise is unless you're a top customer how are you going to get a 718 GT4? Can anyone with a 20, comment on the shift into 2nd? Another review I read describe the shifts as rifle bolt precise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Exactly. Good luck finding allocation for a GT4 (or a 718 Spyder) ... every one is sold out for 2020 - everywhere. None of my service money on my 911 means bupkis trying to get in on any of those slots. Going to drive a 2020 Evora GT on Saturday. Bringing along my 11 year old to fold him in the back and see if he fits. I'm over the computers doing the work for me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Eager to hear your opinion. I went to my local dealership to check out a 20' to see if I would fit the buckets and check out the shift gate. I plan to go on a long test drive after the holiday as they've been provided a demo car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts