The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

C-ONE/ KAZ - 6-Speed Gear Set - Top Speed

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  dmh 
#1 ·
Hi guys

I have just fitted the 6 speed gear set to my car, mid gear acceleration is awesome, lot quicker and car stays in powerband longer

Quick question, any one know the top speed of this gear set with the standard 4.55 final gear ?? I can't test this on public roads.

On Transmission Gear Ratio Calculator, I got 237 km/h for C-One gear set with 4.55 and 283 km/h for standard gear set with 4.8 final gear. This is based on theoretical calculation. Pretty sure we cannot get 280 + top speed in a 260+hp lotus

Any feedback will be appreciated so I won't get disappointed on track

SIMON

#2 ·
I haven't tried it.

But I recall reading here someone reaching 170mph+ (270km/h) with additional power and gears. So it sounds possible. Still run into aero issues though so it wasn't be quick getting there. With some guess work you might find the story I recall using search.

#4 ·
I have c-one final gear

My car is elise R (192hp)
I have c-one final gear(4.8) only.

I could reach 240km/h before I changed but I can't reach that speed.
Because stock 5th gear 8500rpm is 240km/h and c-one(only final) 5th gear 8500rpm is 225km/h. I can reach 225km/h much earlier but 6th gear cannot accellerate lacking of power.

After changing final gear I just only 235km/h at downhill.

#5 ·
Thanks Dleogml, actually I had the C-one 4.8 final gear fitted. I think it was a very good upgrade for street driving. Had the C-one 6 gear set fitted, mid gear acceleration is very good but highway crusing is kinda of compromise as the engine is running on a higher rev. I cannot test on public roads but do feel the new gearset will have a lower top speed than the larger final gear. Want to know the actual !

#7 ·
Hi cup 240

i have yet to try the top speed but on street driving, in gear acceleration is very good, the car feels alot more in the powerband and feels much torqier. You will change gear more frequently than 4.8 with standard gears but it doesnt bother me.
I think this is a good mod, 2 other Exige S in HK has this upgrade as well as a 2-11 for track. From my mechanics comment, top speed is around 240km/h

Simon

#8 ·
Hi guys

I have just fitted the 6 speed gear set to my car, mid gear acceleration is awesome, lot quicker and car stays in powerband longer
SIMON
Did you fit this gearset yourself? If so, please share your instructions, recommendations, and other wisdom!

Can you tell me what other parts you needed to fit this, other than the Kaaz gearset? In older threads, I've asked, but the owners weren't sure. Something about a Toyota Celica synchro or another part, etc...?

MikeVR4

#11 ·
Who are the "few" people and what is their knowledge based on? (This is why in research quoting from the internet is unacceptable.)

We have fitted a dozen or so of the Kaaz gear kits and have had no issues to date. From my conversations with a Kaaz USA, Kaaz build the gears to hold up to around 210 foot ponds of torque. Above that and you are on your own.

#12 ·
I can confirm the gears from the gearset is a lot strong than OEM, the only weaklink is the original final end gear. Pity no one makes a 4.55 stronger end gear

#16 · (Edited)
You just made quite a leap there, didn't you? I did not write a 210 hard limit. How many road race cars do you know using the C60/4 gear box that makes more than 210 foot pounds of torque?

I'll note to Kaaz you personal choice of not using them. But I am not sure why you would comment or even use shorter gears. Do you use shorter gears from another company? Do you road race?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.