The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still torn between these two great cars. Say you will about the Vette but the new C6 with a 400 HP N/A V8 is a sweet car and looks to be the best quality Vette ever produced. The interior has been upgraded and they even put in side air bags. The car is 5 inches shorter than the C5 (thankfully) and one ince narrower. Weight is 3200 lbs.

Pricing was just announced and a fully loaded 6-speed C6 is $50k (including Destination and the Z51 performance package) (Base Pirce is $44k). Not bad for a car that GM claims will do 0-60 in 4.3 and the 1/4 mile in 12.5 with a top speed of about 180. Of course it will never have the exclusivity of the Elise.

I still have to see the Elise in person. My dealer is supposed to get a demo by the end of July. Maybe the choice will be clear once I see both cars up close and had the chance to sit in and drive them.

What do you guys think? Anyone else thinking about these two choices?

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
It boils down to personal preference... learn about them both until you have a chance to drive them both. Once you do, it will be an easy decision one way or the other. You have narrowed it down to two great cars. Enjoy the decision, I'm guessing that you can't go wrong either way.

I've driven the Elise but not the C6, so I can't comment on the comparison.

Thomas

·
Registered
49 Posts
Z0650TH said:

I've been thinking the same thing to. The Vette is faster, easier to get fixed, more practical, and a better street car. The Elise is lighter, more nimble, and more exotic.

The (near) availability of the Elise has set me to thinking about my priorities. My first thought was "Great! Everything I've always wanted! A near-racer that I can drive to work on nice days, autocross, and take to track days". But then, so is the Vette, and the RX8, a used 911, an Evo, etc. Breaking it down, Vette vs. Elise:

Street - definitely the Vette. Almost every advantage that the Elise has is negated on the street. To get the best out of the Elise you have to drive at at least 9/10ths and that's not acceptable on the street. Torque rules.

Autocross - the Elise, depending on how it's classified. Z06 Vettes currently reign supreme in SS and C5 Vettes are more than competitive in AS. The Elise will probably be faster but I haven't seen this proven.

Track Days - A matter of opinion. Sheer speed shouldn't be an issue. If it is I recommend a used C-Sports Racer. Track days are all about having fun and working on your lines. The Elise gets the nod due its purity of concept.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Re: Re: C6 or Elise

DanDotDan said:
easier to get fixed
This article eased my fears about the COSTS of the Elise. While repairs and parts may take more time than other makes, at least the costs should be reasonable.

(Please right click and save the article)- from SELOC.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Z0650TH said:
I'm still torn between these two great cars. Say you will about the Vette but the new C6 with a 400 HP N/A V8 is a sweet car and looks to be the best quality Vette ever produced. The interior has been upgraded and they even put in side air bags. The car is 5 inches shorter than the C5 (thankfully) and one ince narrower. Weight is 3200 lbs.

Pricing was just announced and a fully loaded 6-speed C6 is $50k (including Destination and the Z51 performance package) (Base Pirce is $44k). Not bad for a car that GM claims will do 0-60 in 4.3 and the 1/4 mile in 12.5 with a top speed of about 180. Of course it will never have the exclusivity of the Elise.

I still have to see the Elise in person. My dealer is supposed to get a demo by the end of July. Maybe the choice will be clear once I see both cars up close and had the chance to sit in and drive them.

The C6 Vette sounds like it will be a great car and offer lots of bang for the buck. Personally I both like and dislike the styling of the C6. I think they should have made the car look more different than the C5.
As you have mentioned the Vette will not be an exclusive car. Vettes are quite common and really don't turn any heads. There is also the image that goes with owning a Vette (A$$hole), which while it may or may not be justified. Nonetheless, I don't like the way most Vette owners are perceived.

The Elise is a far different car than the Vette. It looks exotic, and makes you feel totally connected to the car, to the road. The driving experience of the Elise never fails to put a smile on your face. The Elise will teach you how to be a better driver, you need only listen to the lessons she is teaching.

You already know the performance advantages/disadvantages to each car so I won't go into that. The decision to buy a sports car is emotionally driven. You have to decide for yourself which car captivates you the most. For me that is the Liz. The very things that people complain about are the things that draw me to her even more.... The high sills makes me feel like this is a car for an athlete. In my mind I think the driver must be as highly tuned as the car to have the right to deserve such a car. After all, you have to be in shape just to get in and out. The manual steering feels great, but requires a bit more strength, so I go to the gym and work my forearm more in preparation. You see to me I am a component of the car and the car a part of me. Since the cars reputation is already well established it is me who must improve physically and mentally to meet the Liz's very high standards. I wouldn't want to be the weakest link of the machine that is the melding of car with driver. The Liz is making me better already, and I don't even have one yet. As crazy as this sounds I am certain others here know exactly where I'm coming from. I just don't think the Vette would motive me the same way.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Z0650TH>>I am exactly where you are>>>

My deciding moment is when I put my hands on a Fed Elise and drive it...which means this will happen later this month...since I expect delivery of my Elise in Sept. I want to make this decision as soon as reasonable and if I drop out of my 13th position at Criswell Lotus it will make someone happy...dunno right now though.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
For me the choice is easy, Elise all the way. I haven't considered other cars. If the Elise weren't coming I wouldn't be getting another car now.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
to me, it comes down to this....

Do you want a sports car that is basically like all the other car choices (the 'vette)

Or, do you want modern engineering of old school sports car values.

They are very different car choices, even if the end performance by numbers is comparable.

personally, i think the new vette is going to be awesome, but so will a bmw M6, or a 911, or.. - all are awesome performers to be sure, but they are high performance gt's in my opinion, not sports cars (call me old fashioned!), we have very very few hard core sports cars for sale in the us.... so like most everone says - it depends on what you want, it seems most peolpe have grown towards high performance gt's and away from sports cars

- As a side note - does anyone else find it odd that porsche is marketing the "550 james dean, whatever" boxster, when Lotus is bringing the elise in... truely, the Elsie is THE modern 550 porsche!!

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Z0650TH said:

My guess is when you see the Elise in person... you will forget all about that big heavy Vette. I think the C6 looks a lot better than the C5 though. Plus on the street I don't think the Vette will handly near as well as the Little Elise.

Neil

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
These cars are SO different, at least to me, that I really don't see a point in comparing them. I'm not dissing the new Corvette, all reports on them are very positive. From my standpoint it comes down to whether you're a "Corvette person" or an "Elise person". I know that's a gross generalization and there are probably lots of people on this board that can afford to and will buy both. But if like me you can afford only one, it'll come down to which style of sports car is right for you - the classic british/european approach of lightweight, nimble, elegant or the traditional american "brute power" approach-with improved handling and dynamics as well.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I remember when my Dad was "torn" between the 911 Porsche, and a Merc. He was sooo close to buying the Merc when I asked him "If you're driving the Merc, would you be thinking about the Porsche ?". He bought the Porsche and never looked back.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I buy cars based on how big a smile they put on my face. There is no question that the C6 will be a spectacular performer - better in many ways than the Elise. It's better in many other ways as well. However, I'm not looking for the best performer or a car that's got all the things going for it that the C6 has. I'm looking for the car that puts the biggest smile on my face.

I also wouldn't be thinking about a new car if the Elise didn't exist. I don't need one, and can't really justify the cost of the Elise. However, I think the amount of fun I'll have driving it make it worth the expense.

When I was looking for a car to buy last time, I narrowed the choices down to the Miata, S2000, and MR2 Spyder. The S2000, like the C6 vs. the Elise, was a better performer than the other two choices. However, I had more fun in the Miata than the others. A big part of that was the light weight (although the MR2 is lighter).

I've driven vettes, and I come away feeling the same way I do when I was done test driving the S2000. I came away very impressed with the car and its performance, but I didn't have the stupid grin I had after driving the Miata.

I expect the Elise will be like a Miata squared, and that's why I'm buying one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think if your choice is between those two cars, then you aren't really sure what you want. The vette is a muscle car, while the elise is a shifter kart. They are very very different. I for one, have NEVER liked muscle cars.

Barry

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I am the former owner of a 99 C5 and the current owner of an 04 WRX STi and 94R Miata. My C5 was a fantastic car and an incredible value. I found it to be a very practical car. It was civilized enough for long trips. It's performance was effortless. It was 100% reliable. It had decent luggage space. And it even got great gas mileage!

I never really bonded with the C5, however. It felt BIG. Part of this, I am sure, is due to the fact that I have owned a succession of two-seaters that were more compact: 240Z, 1st and 2nd gen RX-7s, Miata. Yet somehow, my 3100 lb. WRX STi seems smaller and more tossable than my 3100 lb. C5. When I sold my C5 pursuant to my divorce, it was really no big deal to me. If I had been forced to sell my Miata, however, THAT would have been a big deal. I have always felt on much more intimate terms with my Miata than the C5.

When I bought my C5 in 98, I intended to do track days. Well, I quickly learned that the C5, while a finely engineered road car, is not track ready. Because of the placement and in-line arrangement of the transmission and differential, a transmission cooler is a necessity for long track work. A larger radiator with an integral oil cooler is a good idea, too. The oil pan is very shallow and very wide to mount the engine as low as possible in the chassis so an Accusump is a good idea if you run at tracks with sustained high-g turns. The brake calipers are great, but the OEM rotors are not. Good rotors are expensive in C5 sizes. The standard run-flat tires were rock hard and not track worthy. R compound tires is C5 sizes are expensive and last maybe two weekends . Performance brake pads are expensive and fronts last about a weekend because of the speed and weight of the car. The C5 is a wonderfully capable track car, but a substantial investment in upgrades for durability (with no performance enhancement) is required. Recurring costs for track days are high.

I, too, am tempted by the C6. Dave Hill and his development engineers have addressed EVERY significant shortcoming of the C5, including its size. The C6 Z51 package makes the car trackworthy. The cost of expendables such as brake pads and tires will still be high, but no longer will expensive upgrades be needed just so the car can survive on a track. And the C6 Z-06 will be a world beater.

Whereas the Corvette is a practical sports car, the Elise is a toy. Period. Not for trips to CostCo or perhaps even the grocery store. It should be a great track day car. Put on some racing brake pads and you are ready to have at it. Brake and tire wear will be a small fraction of that for a C6. It will take more driver involvement to get the best out of the Elise, but I think that's what I enjoy so much about my Miata.

If I didn't have to contend with Minnesota winters, I'd sell my STi and buy a C6. What a wonderful portfolio that would give me: Miata, Elise, Corvette. Hmmm. Maybe I should get the hell out of Minnesota.

·
Registered
186 Posts
jml1952 said:
3200 pounds vs 1975 pounds. The choice is obvious.
It is? How about 190hp vs 400hp! 10x more comfort vs bone jarring comfort?

I can honestly say I was drooling for the C6 when I first heard it was coming out. But then again I was drooling over the Elise too. My decision swayed between the two quite heavily. Here's the biggest reason I went with Lotus and something you might want to take into consideration.
You only live once! The Lotus offers a VERY unique driving experience that almost no other car can relate to. Don't underestimate the power of exclusivity. There's a little vanity in all of us. On top of the great driving pleasure is the fact that this car is very limited and may not be around for long. Plus it's a niche market and I don't see people giving them up that easily. While in 2 years you can buy the C6 practically new and save $10k. The C6 will always be here so why not try something exotic.

Anyway that's my .02

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I have always been a corvette fan, and have had 3 myself....but I know if I was driving a C6 and saw someone in an elise, I would have different feelings than if it was the other way around....No question both are fun and the vette is more practical, but for me this is a weekend/fun car, so I don't care about practicality...Also, corvettes have a negative image for a lot of people (either gold chain crowd or mid-life crisis)- not that I am buying my car to impress anyone else. (okay if some hot babe is impressed I am ok with that:D )

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I now know why I love this board.....mature, respectful of other choices, thoughtful remarks, etc.

It was great to see I didn't get flamed for this thread.

There's lots to think about from all your comments and I will be doing just that. Can't wait til that Elise demo comes in.

:)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts