The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
1,544 Posts
Scary! That was beginning of the end of my SCCA prepped Datsun wrapping the hood back to the roof well above 80 made it safely to side of the road unbolted and tossed and kept going till it didn't. Nineteen and dumb....

·
Registered
141 Posts
I heard that in at least some of these cases you can actually hear the alarm that the hood is open but the drivers don't notice until it slams in their face.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Looked up a few instances. Goes to show that it's tough to beat a good old fashioned manually actuated safety/secondary release. Including our CR-V, many of these new cars have an electronically actuated Emerg Brake/Parking Brake. Hate it too!!

On another note, about 8-12 months ago I did a post here in LT talking about my consideration of the C8 vs an Evora. Simplicity/back-to-basics of the Evora was a major determining factor of us going with the Evora. ZERO regrets on that decision.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
209 Posts
I had this happen to me on a old Mazda I had, however that was total user error and resulted in a new hood and a nice ass chewing from my parents.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
wow.

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Button on the fob
Wonder where the fob is
console, pocket, keychain
My truck loves to beep in the driveway when i hit the panic button in my pocket walking around the house

Would seem like a good idea to disable fob inputs when the car is moving

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
209 Posts
Is the PCH a private road? "Went up to 100-110 mph at times."
Its not unheard of for people to "let loose" on public and private roads. :rolleyes: 🚗🚓

·
Premium Member
6,783 Posts
Like....daily....

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Button on the fob
Wonder where the fob is
console, pocket, keychain
My truck loves to beep in the driveway when i hit the panic button in my pocket walking around the house

Would seem like a good idea to disable fob inputs when the car is moving
Being keyless entry, the whole idea is to be able leave the fob in your pocket - where I could see it very susceptible to randomly pressing buttons like you said. A quick google shows that the button must be pressed twice to work, so this lessens the chance of an accidental press but is far from completely eliminating it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Corvette owners will press GM until finally GM will do what they often do in this situation. They will issue a Service Bulletin stating that the hood opening at speed is normal.

·
Premium Member
6,783 Posts
It will become known as BTG syndrome....what happens when anatomics cause fob button to be depressed. Ask via PM for meaning.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe that OTA update was for the inside the trunk release button losing power 10 minutes after shutting the car off. The one for the frunk flying open is a different update. Gotta figure out how to make it more obvious that your hood isn't latched with even more **** that says "hey your frunk isn't latched"

Could be an issue with people accidentally bumping buttons before taking off, I don't know where the button in the interior is or if it's on the fob, or if people are just really bad at closing it.

I know I've hit the rear hatch button with my knee a couple times on my C7 but the warning for it is pretty obvious.
GM will do what they often do in this situation.

snaptube vidmate word to pdf

·
Registered
123 Posts
Could be an issue with people accidentally bumping buttons before taking off, I don't know where the button in the interior is or if it's on the fob, or if people are just really bad at closing it.
My friend has a C8. There is a button on the fob. When you hit the button the hood pops open maybe an inch and catches on a latch. There is a warning light in the car and warning beeping. He thinks folks are accidentally hitting it and then taking off while blasting the radio so they don't hear the beeping and not noticing the light. I guess the safety latch can't hold once they get going to fast. They are just so excited driving it that they are oblivious - lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts