The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, this is a non-Lotus related thread. Sorry.

I have a '94 Cadillac DeVille that I am thinking about turning into a hotrod. My mother had it when it was new, and when I was in high school, I used to drive it time to time.

I have many great memories with the car. I got my driver's license in the car, my first ticket in the car, my first accident in the car, and also I popped something (not a tire) in the car. ;)

The car has been in my garage for months (registered and insured) and it is detailed to a concours-ready level. But there is a small mechnical issue (could be a big problem) which when the car warms up enough, little bit of the engine coolants leaks into the cabin. There must be a crack in one of the pipes somewhere but I haven't addressed the issue as I have been considering modifiying the car anyway.

So here is the deal.

1. DMV sent me a renewal notice.
2. The car needs to be smogged to be renewed.
3. The car cannot be smogged currently due to the leaky pipe.
4. The renewal is due in five days (got the notices months ago :))

So,

- Do I register as PNO (Planned Nonoperation), get the problem fixed, then fully-register?
- Do I fix the problem, pass the due date, then pay the penalty?

I think I am just going to fix the leaky pipe for now, but my plan is to do a major mod. (new motor, lower the car a bit, new paint job, new interior, etc.) I still haven't figured out the detail yet.

Thanks! :clap:

Attachments

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
If you plan on fixing it within the next year, then just pay the registration. It'll be paid, but it won't be registered until you smog it. Then there won't be any other fees.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
engine swap, LS-7 Crate motor, paint it flat black with ghost flames, black disk wheel covers... and air-bag suspension. yeah baby :shift:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
engine swap, LS-7 Crate motor, paint it flat black with ghost flames, black disk wheel covers... and air-bag suspension. yeah baby :shift:
My only concern with the mod is that the car is front-wheel drive and whether LS1/LS2 or LS7 motor would work.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
ahh.. The LS-series motors are pretty small, but you might have to go with the supercharged northstar motor like the STS-V

·
Registered
937 Posts
But there is a small mechnical issue (could be a big problem) which when the car warms up enough, little bit of the engine coolants leaks into the cabin. There must be a crack in one of the pipes somewhere but I haven't addressed the issue as I have been considering modifiying the car anyway.

- Do I register as PNO (Planned Nonoperation), get the problem fixed, then fully-register?
- Do I fix the problem, pass the due date, then pay the penalty?

I think I am just going to fix the leaky pipe for now, but my plan is to do a major mod. (new motor, lower the car a bit, new paint job, new interior, etc.) I still haven't figured out the detail yet.

Thanks! :clap:
I'd fix the leak as it almost sounds like a leak in the heater core which could actually be very cheap to fix. Might be like a $50 dollar part plus labor. Even if you swap the motor you'll most likely still need to fix the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts