The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Evora 400 does have a different filter. Its a very tight fit, but you can pull the filter up through the top hole (you see the white in your photo), and push the new one back down. I've done that.
Your image didn't seem right, so I checked against my own. You are missing a part - a front shroud on the filter assembly.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Great idea, easy to do.
@nintense, you might want to change your clutch fluid in the near future since it's starting to look dark. Our Evora is notoriously known for overheating the clutch fluid and caused the master cylinder to malfunction - which then cause the clutch to drop.

·
Loves to talk
893 Posts
That opening near the leading edge does look rather small to fit the filter out of. But even in the S1s, the opening was larger and it still took a lot of rotating and finessing to get the filter out. Rather sub-optimal designs on both I say..........

Now that I looked at your image again Lew, what is that white rectangle on top? Is that foam? Maybe it comes out, without having to remove those 2 screws, and the filter lifts out.
It looks like the top of the filter itself. I'll confirm after I fpry the filter out.

·
Loves to talk
893 Posts
Your image didn't seem right, so I checked against my own. You are missing a part - a front shroud on the filter assembly.
View attachment 1259884
I'm glad I asked. Comparing your photo to the parts fiche suggests that they may have made a running change at some point. The fiche shows a housing like mine without the shroud.
Ah, the mysteries of a Lotus. Each a unique piece of........art!

As expected, the forum comes through with the answers. I'll order the filter from Hethel Sport today and pull the original out through the top when it arrives. Wouldn't have guessed that was the solution but it makes the job easier for sure.

·
Loves to talk
893 Posts
As usual, I feel like an idiot. It just pulls out from the top, no harder than extracting a tissue from a box. The only downside is $50.00 for a small folded paper filter that turns out to be entirely unremarkable but will need to be changed every year. For reference the filter has about 5000 miles on it since the dealer changed it at the last annual service in April '19.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
As usual, I feel like an idiot. It just pulls out from the top, no harder than extracting a tissue from a box. The only downside is $50.00 for a small folded paper filter that turns out to be entirely unremarkable but will need to be changed every year. For reference the filter has about 5000 miles on it since the dealer changed it at the last annual service in April '19.
We're all learning this together and how Lotus continues to surprise us at every corner.

Are there any part numbers on the filter itself? Perhaps it was plucked from a different tractor than the S1 builds 😂

·
Registered
240 Posts
For comparison, the S1 filter seems to have more surface area and cost only $9.33 at Gator Motorsport. I just order 4 filters with shipping = $49.27

·
Loves to talk
893 Posts
The S2 filters are hard to locate except at Hethel Sport. Sherman's service is impeccable and I'm glad they're available at all but it's easy to see why they need to be changed routinely. They're tiny, and expensive. An odd item to actually calculate into running expenses but if you drive you car, these things can't last long .

·
Registered
227 Posts
@nintense, you might want to change your clutch fluid in the near future since it's starting to look dark. Our Evora is notoriously known for overheating the clutch fluid and caused the master cylinder to malfunction - which then cause the clutch to drop.
Clutch/ brake fluid replaced 3 months ago, and was done every year since I’ve got the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
830 Posts
The cabin filter replacement on my 410 was the one maintenance item I had postponed because I could not see how to get the old filter out. Mine has a black plastic lid held on by one screw and then the top of the filter is accessible. I ordered a new one on Sunday from HethelSport and Sherman's quick customer service resulted in the delivery in today's mail and then a minute or two to swap them out.

My car has around 3700 miles, so I was surprised how dirty the old filter was!

·
Loves to talk
893 Posts
The cabin filter replacement on my 410 was the one maintenance item I had postponed because I could not see how to get the old filter out.
The cabin filter replacement on my 410 was the one maintenance item I had postponed because I could not see how to get the old filter out.
It 's funny how just looking at it you conclude there is no visible way to remove it without taking off the clam! Once I knew the secret handshake I had to laugh laugh at myself for making something so easy do into an intelligence test!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Depends on conditions of where you live and drive.. If you drive any dirt driveways or roads You will need to change more frequently..
I see those dust storms out West and for sure those conditions would need more attention ..
Going to drop mine down from the lift today and check mine and change if needed and was thinking of wrapping
in dryer sheets for cleaner smell ..Let you know..

21 - 36 of 36 Posts