The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, been awhile since I posted. Test drove an Evora 400 last year and was only able to drive slower speeds and short distance. Wasn’t able to really test traveling at 70mph for a trip cabin noise.

Husband and wife with small child traveling in an Evora 400 for and hour or so on trips annoying? Easy to talk to each other? Other thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
I feel that the cabin noise is minimal with good tires and the exhaust valve closed. I have driven the Evora for 8+ hours before and I never got fatigued or annoyed with the car. I did notice that the road noise was substantial near the end of the life on my first set of super sports. When I switched to a new set of Michelin pilot sport 4S's, the road noise reduction was significant.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The cabin is noisier than our '12 Evora due to the different tires on the 400. It seems to strictly depend on the road surface. For the most part on smooth roads, it is a quiet ride just like the '12 was - very nice. On smooth roads the exhaust valve is barely, if at all, noticeable. On a coarse road surface even the '12 was noisy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The Supersports are definitely noisier than other tires. I have the Bridgestone S007As on mine and its much quieter and they actually steer more precisely and grip better.

I have done numerous multi-hour trips in my 400 and, with the exhaust valve closed, it is remarkably quiet and serene, even at big speeds.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I agree on above points, especially that "quiet mode" is very civil.
I will also add that it is relatively quiet with the windows down compared to other cars... air flows pleasantly even at high speeds and you can even have a conversation. My AMG is a noisy/windy mess with the windows down.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your posts. Good information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
@RWLott is right on from my experience. 400 is noisier at speed than S1; I attributed to tire difference, which varies with road surface, and some surfaces are annoyingly loud. Exhaust not an issue.......If/when tires need replacing will not use OEM Michelins.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'll echo everyone else, my S1 was noisy due to having PSSs on it, then when I changed over to the Firestone Indy 500s, so much quieter.

My 400 has done multiple 8+ hour trips and it's great, except the Michelins are so loud, I can't wait to change them to the Indy's.

·
Loves to talk
1,059 Posts
No problem doing 500 mile days. The car is smooth and well bolted together so there are no extraneous noises from buzzing, rattles or such, the motor is sublimely smooth and mechanically subdued, the exhaust is "how you like it".....somewhat metallic yet tuneful with the valve open, subdued and mellow with the valve closed. The main thing you hear as everyone has said is road noise. Wind noise is virtually non existent at speed. As Red Sled said, the car flows air so smoothly that even with a window open, there is no loud rushing or buffeting.

I will do this because I can: I will measure noise levels and spectra at various speeds using my SPL meter and FFT analyzer and will report back....eventually!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts