The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kind of funny a Cadillac part would be the one desired for a Lotus :D

I have installed Homelink units from visors sold on eBay in other cars I owned that lacked Homelink, and decided to try this Cadillac model out in the Lotus since there is not a lot of room/places for a simple installation. This Homelink was also sourced from eBay for around $30.

The unit I bought was a rolling code model to work with my openers. I found it fit almost perfectly into the cubby to the left of the steering wheel and was just a bit tight, you could maybe do further mods to make it fit a little less tight and use double side tape to install it, I used E6000 with mine and a tennis ball wedged in place to hold it in place until dry- a little harder to remove but more solid and still removable.

My unit came without a wiring harness/plug which worked out- I ended up using wire cutters to cut down the plug circuit board a bit closer to the unit body and soldered wires to the traces (insulated with epoxy and electrical tape). The trace to the outside is power + and the trace on the inside is - ground- I'm not sure what the middle trace is.

Range is great, no need to replace batteries since I wired it to the V1 power tapped from the radio accessory wire, and it looks like it was made to go in the Lotus cubby. I apologize for the lack of pics where the wiring was soldered after modifying the circuit board, they disappeared from the camera. I also recommend gluing down the locking tab on the bottom for aesthetics, easier before installing.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Wow, clean factory looking install. If you ever find those pictures of the wiring would love to check them out.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the first pic you can see at the bottom a small piece of circuit board that the plug would slide on to. Using a Dremel or some other cutting instrument you cut this down a little closer to the case but leave enough room to solder wires to the traces on the inside/outside leaving the middle trace untouched.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice to see you back with a Lotus. I've used your page as reference many times (esp for my FF header install). Thanks!
Thanks Frank, it's nice to be back in one- I really enjoyed driving it in the mountains this past weekend. I had to get one of the last good ones since the Dany ones (heavier) won't be here for a few years and who knows how they will be ;)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of how they spliced into power for this home link? I purchased one, and am not proficient at reading electrical diagrams. Also, where do I ground this? The more pictures the better!

:confused:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone have pictures of how they spliced into power for this home link? I purchased one, and am not proficient at reading electrical diagrams. Also, where do I ground this? The more pictures the better!

:confused:
I just pulled the radio, spliced into the ignition and ground wires there, and ran them over to the Homelink.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I just pulled the radio, spliced into the ignition and ground wires there, and ran them over to the Homelink.
Ah HA! Thank you. Now if I only had any clue as to which wires these were (colors would be helpful). I wasn't kidding about not liking electrical. I could splice into one of the wires in the panel directly to the left of where you put it (where the start button and lights are), but I'm not sure if that is a good idea.
I appreciate the help!

:shrug:

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I think the wire colors/description are on the radio and visible once pulled?
It's all wired up and installed!
*** Warning *** When I originally ran the wires I ran them through the column shroud from the fuse on the passenger side. The drawback to this is the steering column is completely exposed and the wires got caught in it. Just in case someone tries this install in the future.

Thank you wrh3 for your help.

Also, the convoluted process to get my garage door to code in the homelink was arduous. Garage door link button > hold button on homelink and old door remote door opener > Run back and hit garage door link button > press same homelink for two second intervals until constant flash link.

·
Registered
214 Posts
i would caution people in using older homelink modules, as they are not compatible with security+ 2.0.

Most modules 2009+ will be compatible though. My older Acura (2003) does not work with the latest Chamberlain/Liftmaster opener. Liftmaster does sell a repeater unit, but for an additional $50

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Just installed this in my car.
$20.00 for the ebay homelink controller
already had a 12v outlet under the dash.
two wire hookup (mine came with the wiring harness), some double sided tape.

Thanks for the pin out!

·
Premium Member
11,578 Posts
good stuff.

But, being cheap and lazy and having a remote already,

I just velcroed it under the dash where I can reach it, but no one can see it.

However, I do change batteries every 3 or so yrs.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
the thing I like about this setup is when the key is off, the opener doesnt work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the thing I like about this setup is when the key is off, the opener doesnt work.
If the power thing is a issue you can just hook it up to a replaceable battery. The Homelink openers can be power by a wide range of voltage. I used a 9 volt battery and it has lasted over 2 years now.

I got the Homelink out of a Cadillac for $15 on ebay with Amber light (this works with all the newer rolling code garage door openers).
Then picked up a 9volt battery holder from Fry's for $1 and used sticky tape to attach battery to remote and Velcro to attach remote with battery to location.

FYI the Positive is the outside middle is unused and Negative is inside.

Here is a link on how to program any Homelink opener.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts