The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My fellow Californians,

Amazon.com, in case you have not heard, has agreed to start collecting sales tax from purchases made to Californians.

AKA-- prices go up by roughly 10% out the door.

They are starting SEPTEMBER 15th.

This means, if you want to buy anything, the next two days are the days you should do it!

Just a friendly PSA... in case anyone was planning to buy a TV and doesn't want to pay an extra $100+

:sad:

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
It was good while it lasted :(

Amazon.com will be knocked off my to-go website for my online purchases because of this. I suspect their California sales will take a significant hit as folks flock to other websites for their tax-dodging efforts.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Did my order already, cali does not deserve any more of my tax money. Looking forward to leaving.

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
7,115 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
A different perspective - local or in state business people have been at a distinct disadvantage as a result of tax dodging by Amazon and others. The theory was that their goods were shipped interstate to reach the consumer and states could not restrict (tax) goods in interstate commerce. Also, it was too complicated to account for the various sales tax rates.
What Amazon did was set up subsidiaries to warehouse the goods closer to the consumer, and thereby claimed that they (Amazon) did not possess the goods in the consumer's own state and therefore did not have to collect sales tax.
Slowly this is changing as Amazon reaches "deals" with states to "forgive" sales taxes on previous sales while agreeing to collect in the future.
You may not like the affect on your pocket book, but a lot of smaller businesses will benefit. I am both a consumer and a local businessman, so I can see both sides of this change.

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
A different perspective - local or in state business people have been at a distinct disadvantage as a result of tax dodging by Amazon and others. The theory was that their goods were shipped interstate to reach the consumer and states could not restrict (tax) goods in interstate commerce. Also, it was too complicated to account for the various sales tax rates.
What Amazon did was set up subsidiaries to warehouse the goods closer to the consumer, and thereby claimed that they (Amazon) did not possess the goods in the consumer's own state and therefore did not have to collect sales tax.
Slowly this is changing as Amazon reaches "deals" with states to "forgive" sales taxes on previous sales while agreeing to collect in the future.
You may not like the affect on your pocket book, but a lot of smaller businesses will benefit. I am both a consumer and a local businessman, so I can see both sides of this change.
Yes it's been great for consumers short term but the lack of internet sales tax is helping drive brick and mortar stores out of business. And it keeps revenues from local governments.

Of course we all see remarkably stupid waste of monies by our governments local and not, making the whole idea very hard to tolerate. And we who own sporty cars will be expected to pay for most all of the idiotic spending. Even better.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am willing to drive to and make purchases in nevada just to screw california out of sales tax. BTW what is up with sales tax on a used car? It got paid once already, why am i paying it again?

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
74 Posts
:huh:
This should be a non-issue. If you live in California and you buy something without paying sales tax, then you owe use tax. The only thing that's changed is now they are starting to enforce it because they know so many people are cheating and not paying it.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Wow, good thing I just bought a few things from there. I thought I was charged sales tax...

this probably means Zappos will charge tax also. they never did before.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,183 Posts
CA has always had the same law. If you buy out of state and didn't pay tax, you are supposed to calculate it all on your income tax form and report the sum and pay the use tax on it. Nobody I know does it... and it's not really enforced except on big ticket items like car purchases, but yeah, Amazon only changed its policy to comply at their end to collect the use tax for CA.

I am also of the mind that I don't want Sacramento getting any more of my money to squander. It's a crack addict to tax money and we have to cut it off to make it starve.

What other websites are good for big ticket electronics? Buy.com has been collecting tax from day one.

As for the political and logical arguments, if a business entity is not in your state, why is it subject to your taxation? It's not. It's not in your jurisdiction, it's not using your state's services, any shipping done to your state is paid to the shipper who pays your state's taxes and fees when they operate in your state via taxes or tolls. It's up to the individual inside the state to report and pay the use tax, not the business. Of course, we can't trust people to do so and we must have it done for us.

Wonder how many bleeding heart big government tax the rich CA liberals jumped on this and bought all their Apple products and TV's before the tax drop so they themselves don't have to pay the taxes they want us to pay?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts