The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys. I've been lurking the forums while trying to find a lotus to purchase. I recently ran across this 2005 Elise in San Mateo and was wondering if anyone here knew anything about the vehicle. I have spoken with the dealership and the confirmed the title is clean. I am interested in purchasing it but I am located in Kentucky, and would be flying to Cali to look at the vehicle. If anyone in the area knows anything about this vehicle or could even check it out for me I would be forever grateful. The idea of purchasing one of my dream cars and driving it cross country sounds like a great time, I am just hesitant to make the trip out there without knowing much about the vehicle.

Thanks for any help in advance!

http://www.contiautosales.net/2005_Lotus_Elise_BURLINGAME_CA_226979637.veh

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can help you do an inspection if you want. I May have some time this sunday or next weekend.
Wow that would be fantastic. I have the money to purchase the car and I meeting someone tomorrow to sell my current vehicle. I would be looking to possibly catch a flight out there at the beginning of next week if someone could give it a once over for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was actually about to drive over there yesterday. I spoke to the dealer over the weekend, the had a service done to it. Something minor apparently, but it couldn't be shown until Monday. If I get some time this week, i can check it out for you. Looks pretty sweet!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Script if it is more convenient for you let me know since I'm actually not that close to San Mateo. It's about a 45 minute drive for me. But no big deal if you get busy. I'll try and find some time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I actually may be in the area this weekend. Plus I'd love to see one up close in personal. Our goddaughter lives in San Mateo, so we do two things in the same trip. Got a list of things you'd like me to check out? Anything specific you'd like pictures of? I could be over there as early as Friday or Saturday morning. Let me know :)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I live a few miles away and could head over on Sunday or Monday. PM me if you need a hand.

The main internal thing to check would be the second cam but its unlikely that the dealer is going to let you inspect that without taking it to a shop.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have dinner with my parents once a week and they live in San Mateo. I could always drop by and give it a once over.

And not to split hairs, but it's actually in Burlingame, a city that borders San Mateo. (Could mean the difference between 10 minutes for someone coming from the south or north.)

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Those aftermarket speakers with wood screws holding them in would make me afraid of the stereo workmanship. Looks to be a LARGE subwoofer behind the seats as well. I don't think the seat inserts or door cards are original either, but depends on your taste if you like the alcantara. That's all that caught my eye, except the large scratch on the rear lip. You are probably taking the safer route by dealing local.

·
442nd RCT - Go For Broke!
92 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Elise also has an accident in its Carfax history.

(Edit) Er, I should've read the rest of the thread since the OP has found a different one.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If someone local could still go look this car over and post back I would appreciate it. I may fly down from Oregon.

Besides looking at the overall condition, if you could get a test drive and make sure it runs and drives like an Elise should as well as switch over to the second cam. Also, it has LSS wheels, can someone look and see what shocks are on the car?

·
hello
303 Posts
For anyone not in the area, suspension performance in mountain view and dietch werks in san jose are nearby lotus experts. The dealer is also down the road in redwood city. If I was serious about buying, I would ask for an inspection by one of them, just to be safe. I had an inspection save me from buying a car that both me and a friend thought it was fine. I called it $150 well spent.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello everyone, had a chance to take a look at the car. I have to say, it was my first sitting in an elise. I love it and I cannot wait to get my own. Having said that, the car itself and from what little I could gather in the short time I had.

The car has been in an accident, the carfax report doesn't go into detail about it. The dealer said it was minimal front end damage, that the frame is solid. It doesn't look like it's been in an accident so it was repaired well. The visible brake parts look a bit rusty. The engine starts right up, however after a bit of time idling it started making a whining noise.

Personally, I would probably skip on this car or perhaps get a thorough inspection done. The interior is not perfect, but it does have about 60k miles. So there's that to consider. I unfortunately did not have a chance to drive it. The dealer folks seemed nice enough, even let me check out and turn on the r8 they had there.

Maybe somebody local may let me test drive their Elise or give me a full rundown for a free dinner and a couple of beers :D

Probably asking too much, either reporting back my thoughts on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts