The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stuck a GoPro on the mouth of my helmet to get an exact view of where my head is at (gonna try this next time I'm at the track in the Lotus). Couple friends and I rented the world formulas at Calspeed...they aren't as quick as 125cc TAG's, more like 400c lazy lawnmower engines, but it forced you to get a clean line without too much fuss otherwise you'd lose tons of momentum.

Quick video of a couple laps and me chasing a friend, tires got greasy in the last session that's in the video. Despite my best efforts I couldn't get below 1:00:42, the times in the this spec class during races are 00:59:XX - that last second was elusive I couldn't get it (!) I'm not good at this karting business, I keep treating it like a car with very early setup and braking into corners when I can go way hotter and rotate. More to learn :) You can see some different lines Johann and I were taking, I didn't know how to pass the open wheel thing was a little freaky so I kept backing off, finally caught up in the hairpin and he followed rest of session, fun times! They have 12 of these karts for rent, we can setup a race... (Jacob)

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/_57VujSOfMg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/_57VujSOfMg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

·
Registered
750 Posts
Karting is one of those things that a lot of car / driving enthusiast sometimes overlook or in some cases skip and get into sportscars. It's too bad b/c it is truly driving in it's purist form.

I personally got into driving when I was a teenager working at a performance shop for the first time. I had a VW GTI, my buddy took me to the track and I was hooked since.

I went to a Rally Driving school, I took instruction with Porsche Owner's Club, I eventually became an instructor myself for a couple different clubs.
I then raced with SCCA for a while, drove a Nissan and a VW again later.

I recently got into karts and I LOVE IT! Looking back I wish I would have sooner. The things you learn, the quick reflexes required, the control on the edge of adhesion...are so valuable.

Nice Peter...thanks for sharing!

Kris

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like a blast. let me know the next time you go to cal speedway, 400 or 125cc.
will do, they don't have anything faster than what's in the video but it was still really fun...there was this little kid musta been 6? 7? lapping us in his Rotax hauling some serious booty

·
Registered
175 Posts
You can rent PRD 125cc TAG's from Jerry Henderson at the track Equipment About the same price as the World Formula's & Jerry will give some instruction as well. The Spec World Formula's lap in the :56xxx during the race series, the Endurance Karts run in the :59xxxx, TAG's in the 52's

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thnx for the link, was about to ask if anyone knew where to rent a 125cc TAG

·
lotuschamp014
414 Posts
karts

Jim Hall Karting in Oxnard. You can lap for the weekend.
Still go there once in a while. Great track
Victor

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can rent PRD 125cc TAG's from Jerry Henderson at the track Equipment About the same price as the World Formula's & Jerry will give some instruction as well. The Spec World Formula's lap in the :56xxx during the race series, the Endurance Karts run in the :59xxxx, TAG's in the 52's
Just spoke to him on the phone nice guy, gonna get a group together and do the 4 hour class - it's as you said almost the same price as the world formula rentals but comes with instruction :)

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
what's the youngest a kid can get started karting? 4?
My kid is 2 1/2....I'm gonna throw him in a kart real soon.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did they give you a price?
regular is $295 for 4 hour program, he said he'd lower it with a group - seems similar to the old Moran program and I am sure we will all get very sore the next day lol

afterward, rentals are $195 for hour of track (4 sessions)

·
Registered
679 Posts
I was just here about 2 weeks ago, but with shifters. A lot of fun.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Kaz, you should come out to Adam's eventually. Some complain about areas being bumpy, but I think it adds to the character of the track and makes it that much more interesting. If you come out I'm sure Jaord will let you take some laps in his 125cc shifter. That thing's a serious blast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts