The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
shay2nak
24,978 Posts
yes. once I puy on my 2Bular exhaust i could hear the exhaust note change right away. Intake is about the same, just whines louder.

how's the HKS intake working out? any problems?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes. once I puy on my 2Bular exhaust i could hear the exhaust note change right away. Intake is about the same, just whines louder.

how's the HKS intake working out? any problems?
I am talking about the 2nd CAM change. For the Exige its at 6200rpm and for Exige S is at 4500rpm. Like I had mentioned, its very very obvious now. I had a celica GT-S before ... kind of missed the tone! Ha ha ha!!

The HKS intake is problem free this far. Although the box indicated its for Exige year 2000~2004, I have no problem with it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
As a newbie, I ask, what is a cam change? :confused: I've heard talk about appropriate rpms for the second cam, but what does that mean?

Please feel free to point me to threads or learned treatises.

Thanks,
You might be breakin in your car or just haven't explored the upper range of the little motor in your car yet.
Find a road that will let you rev your motor to redline. Make sure your car is warmed up first. Depending on how you ECU is set it could happen at 4500, 6200, but it's like putting the spurs into your horse. The engine growls and the car surges forward. Your motor has changed it's profile from a Dr. Jeckyl and is now Mr Hyde.
VVT-i - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
443 Posts
You might be breakin in your car or just haven't explored the upper range of the little motor in your car yet.
Find a road that will let you rev your motor to redline. Make sure your car is warmed up first. Depending on how you ECU is set it could happen at 4500, 6200, but it's like putting the spurs into your horse. The engine growls and the car surges forward. Your motor has changed it's profile from a Dr. Jeckyl and is now Mr Hyde.
VVT-i - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My driving is entirely city roads and highways/freeways/parkways. I'll have no trouble going at 4500 - 6000+ rpm, even if it means going on the Long Island Expressway in first gear.

I generally shift at about 4000 rpm, learned from countless cars whose torque/horsepower peaked in the low 30's, and to save gas. However, I have sneaked in some spurts at 5,000 - 7,000 rpm. It didn't feel any different at those high rpms. That's one of the many nice things about an Elise - it handles just as well at 100 m.p.h. as at 30 m.p.h. (100 mph is as fast as I've gotten away with. Still no tickets).

I understand cams as in camshaft as affecting the valves. That's what DOHC stands for. But why two cams - a first and a second? :confused:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Read about VVT-li and you will understand why it has two cams :) One for high RPM and one for low RPM.

As much as I understand "VVT-i - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia," they appear to be talking about an infinitely variable cam, not two distinct cams. Or is it one cam is fixed and the other is variable???

If you don't feel a difference from 4k and 7k, you aren't opening the throttle enough :D
Now I have a mission, another reason to take the car out. (So far, no speeding tickets. :D )

Dan

·
shay2nak
24,978 Posts
I am talking about the 2nd CAM change. For the Exige its at 6200rpm and for Exige S is at 4500rpm. Like I had mentioned, its very very obvious now. I had a celica GT-S before ... kind of missed the tone! Ha ha ha!!

The HKS intake is problem free this far. Although the box indicated its for Exige year 2000~2004, I have no problem with it.
That's what I meant. I have an Exige S and when I changed my exhaust the 2nd cam @ 4500 sounded different than when it was on the 1st cam.

My driving is entirely city roads and highways/freeways/parkways. I'll have no trouble going at 4500 - 6000+ rpm, even if it means going on the Long Island Expressway in first gear.

I generally shift at about 4000 rpm, learned from countless cars whose torque/horsepower peaked in the low 30's, and to save gas. However, I have sneaked in some spurts at 5,000 - 7,000 rpm. It didn't feel any different at those high rpms. That's one of the many nice things about an Elise - it handles just as well at 100 m.p.h. as at 30 m.p.h. (100 mph is as fast as I've gotten away with. Still no tickets).

I understand cams as in camshaft as affecting the valves. That's what DOHC stands for. But why two cams - a first and a second? :confused:
shifting every 3k is tough. You'll be shifting second after second. Would be better to go from 1st to 3rd to 5th...skip a gear.

·
Registered
443 Posts
shifting every 3k is tough. You'll be shifting second after second. Would be better to go from 1st to 3rd to 5th...skip a gear.
I drive mostly on city roads and on highways. My speed is pretty steady - about 50 mph on city roads and 80 mph on highways. For the city roads, I don't need the power (or attention) of higher rpms, but I'm working on it. On the highway, I can use 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th gear. Unfortunately, higher rpms (say over 5000) ruin the gas mileage.

I'll keep my ears open for something at about 6000 rpm. BTW, is that the cutoff/redline for the engine before its warmed up?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Also good info in your user manual too. Depending on load and throttle position the cam switch can happen anywhere between 4500 and 6200.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
1st. There are two actual cam shafts in your engine; one on the intake valve side and one on the exhaust valve side.

2nd. Each of those carries not one, but two lobe profiles; the first profile is optimized for the lower rpm ranges, and the second is optimized for more power at higher rpm ranges.

3rd. Above whatever rpm the computer is programmed for, it switches the cams over from the first lobe profile to the second lobe profile.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Also good info in your user manual too. Depending on load and throttle position the cam switch can happen anywhere between 4500 and 6200.
Where in the user manual? I looked and looked but couldn't find anything on this topic.

1st. There are two actual cam shafts in your engine; one on the intake valve side and one on the exhaust valve side.

2nd. Each of those carries not one, but two lobe profiles; the first profile is optimized for the lower rpm ranges, and the second is optimized for more power at higher rpm ranges.

3rd. Above whatever rpm the computer is programmed for, it switches the cams over from the first lobe profile to the second lobe profile.
Now it's clear. Thank you.

I just came back from a little drive. I've been staying in lower gears. Interesting. Highway driving in second gear! :nanner: I try to avoid first gear anyway. These habits (of shifting at 4000 rpm) are hard to break. :shrug:

My apologies for posting on this thread with Elise experience. This is in the Exige forum. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts