The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I noticed my cam change over felt almost non existant. It was certainly not due to warm-up of the car, I sat in traffic about an hour before I got onto the highway and was able to hit the gas.

So my questions:
-Is there already a thread on this? I searched, but I suck at searching and litterally came up with nothing
- Is this a known issue (is it even an issue)
- Is there an easy way to check/test to see if everything is working as it should?

I JUST brought my car to the dealer on Friday and would hate to have to bring it back so soon.

Thnaks all!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I experienced this, but after expericneing and resetting the now infamous P1302 code. The broken rocker arm was bleeding the hydraulic pressure it needed for the cam switch. Hope that's not your problem.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Do you have a CEL?
Is your rev limiter and red tel-tale coming on at a certain RPM?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that is why I brought it to the dealer on Friday... I thought it was exhaust or AC compressor...

It is only when I am stopped and just start to get moving in first. Never any other time.

Guess I will be going back tomorrow?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Does anyone have audio of the changeover? I've often wondered if mine is changing over as well. I have no codes, no symptoms. Redline is normal. But I remember my old Integra had a VERY distinct changeover (intake and exhaust pitch would change quite a bit). The Lotus, not so much. I suspect it is changing, but may just be a lot smoother of a transition than the old Honda VTEC.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Yep it is early and much more subtle (and earlier) on the S's. On the n/a elises it is easily noticed

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Don't you S guys stay on 2nd cam when you shift? I know my NA only goes back onto the first cam briefly when I'm really pushing it.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Yep it is early and much more subtle (and earlier) on the S's. On the n/a elises it is easily noticed
It is unless you have the Lotus Sport ECU or Sector's ecuFlash2. The changeover around 5700 rpm gets rid of the dip in between the two cams, so you don't get that kick in the pants feeling of the regular NA cars. Same thing goes for the S's, except that changeover's even lower, IIRC.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Sporatic 2nd Cam Response

6 months ago, the transition to 2nd cam was NOT noticeable at all. Many times, at 6200 RRM and above. there was NO abrupt response! Now, the 2nd cam is very noticeable again, when I purchased the Elise. I can't tell what I did to remedy it.:shrug: I did remove the snorkel, though. Could THAT do it?

The next air filter will be the the "Green" air filter. I've heard that could increase the 2nd cam response....

--Hal

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
6 months ago, the transition to 2nd cam was NOT noticeable at all. Many times, at 6200 RRM and above. there was NO abrupt response! Now, the 2nd cam is very noticeable again, when I purchased the Elise. I can't tell what I did to remedy it.:shrug: I did remove the snorkel, though. Could THAT do it?

The next air filter will be the the "Green" air filter. I've heard that could increase the 2nd cam response....

--Hal
It's probably more of an aural (oral? :drool:) thing than anything else.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm...

Just got a call from Criswell. They said the shop foreman says all systems are working as designed.

In my car, I have always been able to FEEL the cam change, now it is smooth as butter from oRPM to redline any changeover is unnoticable. The guy that called said the foreman took the car on a test drive and all systems worked properly.

So, when I go pick up the car, they offored up me going on another drive with the guy.

- Should I take them up on it? or should I say thanks and bolt outta there?
- Are there other tests that can see this is happening and diagnose what it is (hooking up to computers, etc)
- Am I a pansy ass that should just shut up and enjoy my toy?
- I am due for an oil change nowish, would that do it/help?

I figured bringing it in was better safe than sorry. What do you think something like this will cost? 1 hr time? Free (under warrenty)?

Ugggg.

Dave

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
if its a regular NA car with the stock lotus cam change at 6200 you should feel it.

the torque response will feel really flat without the cam change.

it can be a difficult one to feel properly on the cars with smooth changes, but the NA car should feel very lethargic.

on the S its a very smooth change, but since the S has load dependant switching, you can still get the 6200 bump by not getting on the power and just slowly bring up the revs, same goes for the katanas.

you should be able to see a dip in the airflow/air fuel when it switches to cam, so if you have a wideband installed or just use a tech 3 or datalogger, you'll see a pronounced down them up, the fuel will do that even if it doesn't switch since its altered for the switch, but i'll be less pronounced but the airflow will be more linear without it. Take a look at some of the dyno sheets on here to see what to expect.

also if you have an aftermarket exhaust, you ought to hear the change.

best of luck

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
You know, I once suspected my 2nd cam wasn't working properly. This came at a time when I was driving the Lotus everyday, and leaving my other car to sit for a month at a time. My 2nd cam seemed to be back to functioning properly after I took my Civic for a drive. By all means get it checked and re-checked, but don't be surprised if it turns out that you just got way too used to it. I hope that's the issue.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Only mod to my car is the K&N filter (and I did that for $ savings rather than performance chnages).

Also, it is a totally NA 05 Elise.

I plan on going back to Criswell at 1 today. I will respond back then.

Thanks again everyone for your replies.

Also, CharlieX, I thought you had to be WOT to have the cam change, is that not true? If not, I am certain mine was not switching.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts