The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have just been reading the threads on the problems that a decent amount of owners have had with a probable defective machined cam or something. I am planning on purchasing an 07 or 08 exige s or 240 in the near future, but live 3 hours away from the nearest dealer and really don't want to get 5 to 10k miles down the road and have major problems. Have these been sorted out by lotus for the 07 and 08 exiges yet?:shrug:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
As far as I know, no one has found the exact cause of the cams going bad. Lotus is aware but has not made any info public. My guess is that there is a problem with the lobes not being hardened properly. Whether this is related to a specific batch of cams remains to be seen.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This kinda stinks. Honestly, if this cannot be figured out soon by lotus, many who are on the fence about purchasing will be pushed off by the thought of purchasing an unpractical toy (don't get me wrong, its an awesome 1 of a kind toy) that could likely have major engine troubles. I hope this is narrowed to a certain vin/production date group.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I have a 07 Exige S with 15K on the clock and no issues. I would not let a problem like this hold you back from getting a great car.

·
Registered
749 Posts
+1 remember it is a base rate issue...there are many more owners than are on this forum. The forum itself makes it seem like a more frequest issue than it probably really is (although, yes, I fully agree it is too common given the number of reports...but not enough to think you are at high risk to buy the car).

It is like when a train derails or a plane crashes, and the news has to run 10 more follow up stories about derailments and crashes. Suddenly it is a "big problem" because they focus on it, even though in reality it is rare.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This kinda stinks. Honestly, if this cannot be figured out soon by lotus, many who are on the fence about purchasing will be pushed off by the thought of purchasing an unpractical toy (don't get me wrong, its an awesome 1 of a kind toy) that could likely have major engine troubles. I hope this is narrowed to a certain vin/production date group.
I'm riding the fence too, but I'm leaning towards buying because it seems the symptoms (not cause) are somewhat well defined (ticking noise, CEL's, and you could pull the valve cover off and have a look at your cams if you want), and thus I am thinking you might be able catch something like this before it becomes catastrophic.

I used to have a boxster - the 986, and 996 engines had all sorts of issues with RMS, intermediate shaft failures, and cylinder sleeve issues (on some 986's). A lot of the time they would fail without any warning - stopped at a stoplight, the engine shudders then dies, or driving along on the interstate, etc. Lots of guys didn't even push their cars that hard and the engines would fail catastrophically. There was nothing you could do or check to prevent it. Everytime I floored my boxster, i thought in the back of my head "will this be the last time; will the engine implode and will i get stuck with a $12k repair bill for a new engine? (i was out of warranty). It really bothered me actually, so much in fact I eventually got rid of the car. Statistically, my car was probably fine, but when I look over classified sections, I'm still appalled by the number of 986 and 996's for sale with new engines installed because their original ones failed.

I hope that if Lotus and/or Toyota/Yamaha know the cause that they own up to it and handle it appropriately - that is if they know what caused the failures on the earlier cars, that they would tell us how and if they have been able to fix it on subsequent cars.

larez2

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I havn't kept count, but I'm thinking there are eight or ten of us. At least on this forum. That sound about right guys?

Anyway, 10 cars out of, what, somewhere around 5,000 imported so far? Not something that would deter me. I happened to me, and it sucked, but I would buy another one without concern.

xtn

·
Registered
454 Posts
So not all Toyota engines are reliable at all.... :shrug:

·
Registered
773 Posts
I thought it was an oil rail/squirter directional issue (sorry for the non-technical terminology); which I would think also if someone was serious about avoiding the cam-lobe resultant failure from it, could fairly easily trouble-shoot and remedy, no? :shrug:

Would think too that where this has been found (or at least that's what I thought) - it is something that could have been rather easily irradicated altogether by Lotus/Toyota altogether, and is a rather simple "fix" - before these engines shipped as well. How many model years of identical problems need to be experienced before something is done with such things?? :confused:

Are we saying that this known issue (since '05-'06) has not even yet apparently, been definitively diagnosed?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I havn't kept count, but I'm thinking there are eight or ten of us. At least on this forum. That sound about right guys?

Anyway, 10 cars out of, what, somewhere around 5,000 imported so far? Not something that would deter me. I happened to me, and it sucked, but I would buy another one without concern.

xtn
Actually, I think it's 20-ish at last count. But that is only those who are on this forum and who have posted that they've had the problem.

·
Registered
613 Posts

xtn
Icedog16 probably has a more accurate count but I think it's at least 20 of us(sorry for the dupe ^^). Considering, that's onlyof people who post on LT, it's certainly statistically significant. I wouldn't let it deter me from buying a car because you can inspect the cam before it goes off warranty but I would be aware that it's a potential issue. Personally, I am off warranty now and feel little inclination to track the car. That's the real shame of it because the car's limits are too fast to have any fun on the street (reponsibly).

·
Registered
749 Posts
~20 out of 12,875 members? Don't mean to nit-pick but that is not statistically significant. Not even if only half the "members" are active posters.

·
Registered
613 Posts
~20 out of 12,875 members? Don't mean to nit-pick but that is not statistically significant. Not even if only half the "members" are active posters.
LT membership does not equate to cars since there's only about 5-6000 in the country. Out of those cars, what percentage of owners post regularly on LT?

·
Older but getting faster
524 Posts
... the symptoms (not cause) are somewhat well defined (ticking noise....
larez2
I have a "ticking noise" in my engine comartment that seems to vary with engine speed. Is a certain amount of this normal (i.e. engine is next to your head and valve trains make noise) or do I need to dial 911-LOTUS?

:panic: :crazyeyes :eek: :huh: :shrug:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I have a "ticking noise" in my engine comartment that seems to vary with engine speed. Is a certain amount of this normal (i.e. engine is next to your head and valve trains make noise) or do I need to dial 911-LOTUS?

It will sound like this

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i46.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid46.photobucket.com/albums/f143/burtfeathergrl/Video003.flv">

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts

Yes, these engines normally make a fair amount of ticking noise. The only definative answer is to remove the valve cover and do a visual inspection of the intake cam lobes looking for excessive scoring/wear.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

Edit: What AlanS just said a few posts before me. :)

I disagree. If roughly 5000 cars have been sold here, then that would mean that every owner would have to be here and in the active half of members that you reference. Many active posters don't even have and/or haven't had an Elise or Exige, so that can't be.

I am sure that only a fraction of Elise and Exige owners are even registered on this site. Like AlanS and I said, the failures I know of are only of those on this site and who have actually posted about it, which substantially trims down the sample size. Another thing to bear in mind other than the relative frequency is that these failures are occurring on cars on which 20K miles is considered 'high mileage'. And I'd bet there are others who aren't on this site who've had the problem, so we don't know about it. Then there's SELOC. I haven't searched there, but I do know of at least one of their members off the top of my head who had the problem.

To put it in perspective, check out this article: Tundra Recall Could Cost Toyota - The Car Connection
20 known failures amongst 200K vehicles (or even 30K that they think may be affected) is enough to consider a recall.

Or this release:
Toyota Announces Safety Recall On Selected Tundra Pickup Trucks
12/14/2007 Torrance, CA
Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., will launch a safety recall with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) on certain 2007 model year Tundra four-wheel-drive pickup trucks. The campaign will involve approximately 15,600 units in the U.S. and does not involve any accidents or injures.

On certain 2007 model year Tundra vehicles, there is a possibility that a joint in the rear propeller shaft may have been improperly heat treated, resulting in insufficient hardness. In the worst case, a section of the rear propeller shaft may separate at the joint. There has been one case reported among all affected vehicles that may relate to this condition. The one case involved abnormal noise and did not involve an accident.
This problem is much more statistically significant than those issues, IMO.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts