The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the toyota manual to set my cam timing and my sprocket is not showing the same marks as the service manual.

Does this look correct? Bearing caps are not yet tight but the chair is aligned with the two sprocket marks and the orange on the chain. Crank sprocket is set correct but I'm confused with the in. & ex. markings...

Please expain if my install look wrong.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim... I had it all market on tear down but my markings wore off and I'm trying to make sense of my Toyota manual with little luck.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
The white mark on the exh cam (the mark between the in and exh markings) goes to the painted link.

The intake cam has one detented mark around the outside of the phase cassette that goes all the way to the gear. The other detents stop about a half inch before the gear. The full length detent lines up with the painted chain link...

Going from Memory here, but I believe that's right... When done correctly, the exh mark on te exh cam will fall to about 3 o clock and there will be a corresponding mark on the intake cam at about 9 o clock...

Hope that helps a bit...

Phil

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Here's some pix. The Toyo manual was no help for me. I had to use Turbophil.

Phil sent me a nice link to some detailed instructions but of course I can't find them now.

Here's the deal. The chain has 3 painted links. Two orange and one yellow.
The yellow goes on the crankshaft socket dot. VERY IMPORTANT
The crank needs to be at top dead center. Use the dampener to line up the timing mark to zero.

The two orange links line up with the 2 dots on the ext. cam sprocket and the FULL line on the int. sproket. The pics should tell the story even if you socket paint wore off.

FYI , after you install the chain and release the tensioner, it will take 9 revolutions of the crank to make the timing marks line up again.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jim... I actually just found basically the same thing on Newcelica and have it back together... hahaha

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts