So I pulled the valve cover last night “just for peace of mind” - it's been a few months since I replaced the wiped cam from the previous owner. I mean, there is no way the cam is wiped after 600 miles…. Right?
Wrong. It is already showing signs of being wiped. UNBELIEVABLE. THIS IS CRAP!
600 miles ago.....
• New OEM cam and rockers
• Valve lash measured/ adjusted to .012+ on all valves
• All parts slathered in assembly lube
• 300 miles of break in driving without hitting the big cam
• Bypassed the oil coolers – removed the sandwich plate
• Mobil 1 5w-40 Turbo Diesel oil
• Always waited ten minutes AFTER coolant temp shows 185 to get on big cam
600 miles later the cams are getting wiped.
This is crazy. I’m a mechanical engineer in my mid 40’s. I run a factory of over 700 people. I am not some dumb kid that makes stupid mistakes. Over the last 20 years I have had Porsches, BMW's, Mercedes – all maintained myself, all driven “as they should be” – including track time, with ZERO major issues. I am meticulous, organized, and I research like crazy before I take action. I can’t get this damn lotus (With a Toyota motor!) to last for 1000 miles.
Please Help ! What am I doing wrong ??? I’ll sell this POS if I have to replace cams every 1000 miles. What really gets me is no one really knows what the root cause of this problem is, so you are just guessing on corrective action. Ridiculous.
121.6 KB Views: 1,487