The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$37k and it has done 2:58 on the VIR. Sounds pretty decent especially since it was within 0.3 seconds of the $65k Gt500 and 4.5 seconds ahead of the almost $50k Boss. On top of that, it would be a challenge to beat that with a used Lotus for the money- bad reference but some of us like driving varying platforms. Apparently you can retro fit the $3.5k package to a used car. Can't wait to see the next generation of these muscle cars when they all shrink and can handle even better.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
$37k and it has done 2:58 on the VIR. Sounds pretty decent especially since it was within 0.3 seconds of the $65k Gt500 and 4.5 seconds ahead of the almost $50k Boss. On top of that, it would be a challenge to beat that with a used Lotus for the money- bad reference but some of us like driving varying platforms. Apparently you can retro fit the $3.5k package to a used car. Can't wait to see the next generation of these muscle car they all shrink and can handle even better.
sounds pretty cool.
The gt500 is a very cool car, but not enough tire under it.
If in fact its 4.5 seconds quicker around the track than the boss (with track pack?) thats impressive.
Dont look for cars to get much lighter without going to exotic lightweight materials (thats code for expensive). Stringent gov regs are a beeotch.
You wont find much support on this board for the camaro.
Theyre all pumped up over the new hyundai or some ultra exotic they will never own.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Hmmmmmm...come to think of it, most reviews ive read the Boss was quicker around tracks than the gt500. I dont know. Maybe smaller tracks.

WhatsADSM, do you really have a 440hp Elise?
Wow.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Hmmmmmm...come to think of it, most reviews ive read the Boss was quicker around tracks than the gt500. I dont know. Maybe smaller tracks.

WhatsADSM, do you really have a 440hp Elise?
Wow.
Yes I think it largely depends upon the track they are on. The boss seems like they put a little more effort into the chassis and suspension whereas the gt500 is a good old fashioned muscle car.

With that said (and I am mostly a GM guy) the new gt500 is a whole lot of car for the money. I think ford did a great job with it.
:drool:
As for my car - yes sir :
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160/final-dyno-numbers-my-supercharged-honda-setup-115875/

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
A new 1LE is only 37k?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I'd like to know what they did to shave that much time off the Camaro. It doesn't even have the awesome magneto-magical shocks. How did they get the time? who was driving? I'd love to see a head to head with the Boss302

If its as good as it says, that's freakin amazing... considering it still weighs 4k lbs, same brakes as an SS, and conventional shocks, and a essentially the same engine as the SS.

anyway... we're really at the golden age for pony cars... truly amazing amount of quality choices.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I'd like to know what they did to shave that much time off the Camaro. It doesn't even have the awesome magneto-magical shocks. How did they get the time? who was driving? I'd love to see a head to head with the Boss302

If its as good as it says, that's freakin amazing... considering it still weighs 4k lbs, same brakes as an SS, and conventional shocks, and a essentially the same engine as the SS.

anyway... we're really at the golden age for pony cars... truly amazing amount of quality choices.
I kinda agree. Im a little suspect of the numbers but im sure there will be gobs of track tests and head to head comparos son enough.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Yes I think it largely depends upon the track they are on. The boss seems like they put a little more effort into the chassis and suspension whereas the gt500 is a good old fashioned muscle car.

With that said (and I am mostly a GM guy) the new gt500 is a whole lot of car for the money. I think ford did a great job with it.
:drool:
As for my car - yes sir :
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160/final-dyno-numbers-my-supercharged-honda-setup-115875/
Again I think the gt500 is vastly improved with more tire. It sits on 285s in the rear and the fronts are skinnier.
The S/C Camaro has 305s and a zo6 sits on 325s.
Then the gt500 comes along with all of like 640hp and it sits on 285s. Ford cheaped out.

Congrats on the car, must be a hell of a ride.

·
Registered
974 Posts
IIRC, the times for the Camaro and Mustang are apples and oranges. The Camaro was driven by a pro driver. The mustang times are taken from car and driver's lightning lap article where cars were driven by journalists.

I'd expect the boss to outperform the 1LE. Regardless muscle cars have come a long way.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
IIRC, the times for the Camaro and Mustang are apples and oranges. The Camaro was driven by a pro driver. The mustang times are taken from car and driver's lightning lap article where cars were driven by journalists.

I'd expect the boss to outperform the 1LE. Regardless muscle cars have come a long way.
Ah, no wonder. Good call, that makes a huge difference. I knew it couldnt be that much quicker. The boss is actually a very capable track car. heck the mustang gt is a decent track car nowadays.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I always love when people whine about the Z06 getting the best track times because they cheated and came with better tires stock. Really? I'd consider the tire no less a part of the car as the chassis and drivetrain. A better driver drove the 1LE? Maybe, but does Ford not have a drivers that can go around a bend? The 1LE has some serious tire under it and shaved 20lbs of unsprung weight off. Also "The 1LE package comes only with a close-ratio manual transmission, and has a more aggressive final-drive ratio for improved acceleration. Handling changes include unique suspension dampers, larger anti-sway bars, a new strut-tower brace, and Goodyear Eagle Super G:2 tires (identical to those on the Camaro ZL1). Other components cribbed from the ZL1 include a higher-flow fuel pump, stronger wheel bearings, and 20-inch aluminum wheels". Both are great vehicles in my mind but too many people are quick to take a side, even with a live axle.

Both the Mustang and Camaro are scheduled to shrink some in 2015.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I don't think anyone was whining that one car was faster then another.
I was just questioning the fact that the magazine claim it was faster even though the times were not apples to apples. Ford did not claim a lap time for that track, Chevy did. people took the lap time by a bunch of magazine writers of the mustang and compared it to the lap time done by a factory professional driver and proclaimed the Camaro was faster. This is despite the fact that even with 20lbs weight shaving its still hundreds of lbs heavier then the stang, with basically no change in engine and brakes, and not even the top of line shocks. the numbers just don't compute. I don't doubt tires can make a big difference, but I'm pretty sure the the Boss 302 has pretty comparable tires...

is is a great performance bargain? yes. Is it a sweet car? yes. how it compares to the Boss302 is still subject to a head to head test.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
BTW, I'm really glad to hear the Camaro is getting smaller. The current one looks like its a 115% sized of what a proper pony car should be.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Batman, the whinning is on the interweb. I track all the magazines through other sources.

Motortrend "As a Mustang Track Package-beater, this -- not the ZL1 vs. GT500 -- is the Camaro to consider, at least until smaller, lighter Camaros and Mustangs arrive in time for the 2015 model year."

I like the rendering of the next Mustang, current bodies are huge and look even bigger than the Camaro especially on that video on the Winding Road vid:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts