The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw another one today. This one was parked out in front of a grocery store. The owner was a really big black guy with a whole crew with him in another car to load his bags for him - it was the new Chrysler 300. It was pretty funny to watch. Anyhow...

I had a chance to talk to the guy. I asked him how he liked it... the handling, acceleration, etc. He said it's insane. I told him I'm waiting for the Elise. He knew what it was, but he wasn't impressed. "It's no T-Rex." He said that people just stop and look at the T-Rex, wondering what it is. They stare. While we were talking, some Asian guy took a picture of it with his cell phone. LOL. AND, it gets way better performance numbers all around. It's got 160 hp, and it weighs 1000 lbs. Granted, it's a fair-weather vehicle, but it's just COOL!

Anyhow, I was wondering what you guys think of it? I know it's not a car, but I really like it. My biggest concern with it would be resale. Any idea what the used market is on these things? How many are made per year? Etc.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think that resale would be difficult. Manufactures of these types of vehicles go out of business all the time. So it would like owning a kit car. I think it would be better to buy one second hand. I would think the owners would drive them a few times, grow bored, or intolent of the limitations and sale, probably at a big loss.

I saw one on "Ride with Funkmaster Flex" on Spike.

I would also question the handling. I doubt it is in the same league as an Elise. I wonder how it would crash test?

I heard the price was in the $40K neighborhood. If you are going this far towards a bike, why not go all the way? Get a big sportbike, that way the girl has to hang on to you instead of sitting next to you and you get better acceleration!

Greg

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Racer X said:
If you are going this far towards a bike, why not go all the way?
I'm not allowed to get a bike (as per the woman's orders) :)

Anyhow, just wanted opinions. I've heard the handling on the T-Rex is insane - that it blows the Elise away. While I doubt it's THAT far superior, 1000 pounds is a pretty significant difference! Some people have called the T-Rex "like a 3 wheeled Super 7"

·
Registered
521 Posts
I remember reading that it handled suprisingly well. I'd love one and would be willing to get one if not for the elise. I already have a superbike so I could just wear my leathers and drive it in all weathers. And I'd do it too.:D

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
BrokenR1 said:
I remember reading that it handled suprisingly well. I'd love one and would be willing to get one if not for the elise. I already have a superbike so I could just wear my leathers and drive it in all weathers. And I'd do it too.:D
Way too much money at $40K, a Caterham SLR500 would kill it:D

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I saw that some rapper or ballplayer on MTV Cribs or one of those show had one, but he lived in NJ. Maybe this was the guy you saw and he might have his posse hangin with him down in So Fl now.

I think that they are lower than the Elise. I would be afraid to drive it on i-95 or a major highway because people dont pay attention and it you got hit, its all over. I used to drive 3 wheeled Honda ATCs a long time ago on the beach and found them to be unstable in turns, and then the government banned them from being sold, but them they still allow 3 wheeled motorcycles. I dont see how these can be stable at high speeds in a turn.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I'm already worried about the height of the Elise. The T-Rex would be much worse. But, if I had an entourage to follow me around, then it probably wouldn't be an issue.

Beside, I don't trust vehicles with three wheels. Do you steer or do you just lean? Or, some weird combination of both? :confused:

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
Beside, I don't trust vehicles with three wheels. Do you steer or do you just lean? Or, some weird combination of both? :confused:
\

I think the T-Rex has two wheels in the front and one on the back. Sort of like riding a tricycle backwards:eek:

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts