The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if we're driving camry's, why wouldn't the K&N cold air intake work on both n/a and sc'd machines? granted the Radium is actually tested.....

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
if we're driving camry's
Before you post something like this, you might want to introduce yourself to the community?

I don't know if you're joking or trolling, or what. Evora's are not Camry's, despite the powerplant. It's like calling a McLaren F1 a BMW. :no:

Don't be surprised if this is only response you get. Not a good first post, IMO.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, didn't mean to offend....
i've taken lowly corolla motors safely to 300 bhp on stock internals so i regard this lump as a familiar toyota playground. since the airbox design is very close to the camry i'm going to modify the K&N and see if it throws codes. if so, then some a/f and other diagnostics would follow....if it proves a dead end, so be it. now if the car would just show up

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
it's worth a try, but you might want to do a baseline dyno and then another dyno after your install.

·
Registered
489 Posts
if we're driving camry's, why wouldn't the K&N cold air intake work on both n/a and sc'd machines? granted the Radium is actually tested.....
My guess is that it should work. Just need to make sure that it is pulling in cold air. You may want to build a baffle like how Radium did it.

May not get as much of an improvement. Worth a try.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Ramtin did exactly this. I believe he had some issues with it and eventually went with Radium CAI once it came out.

I really don't see the point, unless you think you can do a better job.. But hey you got a lowly corolla to 300bhp, surely you can get this puppy to 6, maybe 700HP in no time! :D

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
When you setup the cold air intake for the evora you can't have any bends in the intake pipe.Creating any kind of twist will through codes and you'll end up with an engine not idling. I recommend going with the radium system for two reason's. One is that they make one hell of an aftermarket part that looks even better than most internals made by lotus and two is that i believe we need to support our aftermarket suppliers to motivate them to build more. They have put lots of work and time into this system and as soon as it came out i switched my own home made kit to theirs. Honestly the only reason i made mine was because nobody else had a solutions yet. Now that radium has one i think it will be an absolute waste of time to try to make something similar or even equal.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Radium CAI just works. Why reinvent the wheel?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why consider doing this....because there is no version for the S and one doesn't look forthcoming for awhile. being older, i don't like to wait.

ramtin, thanks for the info...will save valuable fabrication time.

as for the crack regarding the corolla motor, you might be surprised what a low pressure turbo, better fuel rail, larger injectors, higher capacity pump and alcohol injection will do. i was actually hoping the engine would self destruct so i could swap in a celica lump, but it refused in typical toyota fashion. now, when i went to add to power to a sc mini cooper, i didn't take the chance on those crap internals. that motor was fully built with only 600 miles on the odo...and i wasn't seeking massive power either. i was keeping it streetable and close to 300 bhp...the build was for reliability and longevity.

i don't know why you're so insulted....you are driving a modern day Dino. i'm hopeful we'll all be in the same position 35 years down the road.

one last thing.....toyota motors have always been incredibly reliable. back in the day i raced a crap celica with the 18R motor (derived originally from a propane fed fork lift) with the only mods being a CD ignition, weber, cam and Hooker headers. that car did street and track duty for 200K miles before the timing chain tensioner wore out. i regard the camry provenance a badge of honor

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Sorry didn't seee "s" in post. If you're near the left coast Radium wants your car!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the low pressure turbo was an IHI unit as part of a kit for the "new" MR2 from japan, but was limited to 225bhp. that unit was swapped for a better unit from Garrett. the water/meth injection came from snow performance

while i'd be happy to be the guinea pig for Radium, there's two problems. first, i'm not even close to the left coast. more importantly, i don't have the car in hand. ordered a long time ago, i'm stuck in the factory shut down and am told not to expect the car for several more months

·
Registered
595 Posts
i don't know why you're so insulted...
Read some of his other posts-- plenty to choose from, he has been averaging about 4 per day for the last two years-- and you'll see that you don't need to take his comments very seriously. Rest assured that you know far more about building a performance engine than he does.

Thanks for your posts, Bibbly. I hope you can get your hands (and wrenches) on that new S soon. When you do, keep us updated!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
roger that. jim v says the evora's ECU is not nearly as sensitive as my 07 exige, which throws codes at the drop of a hat despite best efforts. the S is a different beast to be sure, and looking at the pics of the layout is what got me wondering in the first place. while it's best to pay for Radium's expertise and workmanship, the car isn't due to land until june, and i don't want to bear the round trip shipping and loss of use. living at altitude, winter can come early. i'd rather drive it during the first ownership season.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Bibbly, just a thought. If you don't even have the car yet, when you eventually get it, why don't you break it in stock. Enjoy it for what it already is. Then, when you finally do the CAI you'll truly appreciate the upgrade v having lost that that "NEW MOD" joy we all experience. During break in if you're doing it right you won't be able to enjoy the CAI true potential anyway except in short bursts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts