The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahh, my first post on this forum.

I'm about to buy a 2005 Elise (SportPack/TouringPack/Stg2 exhaust), 4.4k miles, with no track time. However, i learned from my local dealer that the 08's have these hard-rubber pads flanking the rear license plate- which may prevent damage to the rear clam in a parallel-parking situation.

Has anyone done a retrofit of the pads? is it even possible?

Also, i did a search but didn't find how one can add the 2nd oil cooler- evidently the 05 Sport Pack doesn't have twin oil coolers.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Also, i did a search but didn't find how one can add the 2nd oil cooler- evidently the 05 Sport Pack doesn't have twin oil coolers.
All sport pack cars have both oil coolers. And for something like the first half of the 2005 run, all cars had two oil coolers

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
second - many 05's have both oil coolers (mid year change) - but certainly all 05 WITH sport pack do have 2 oil coolers.

....then again it is lotus - so you never really know for sure untill you poke up in the side vents in the front with a flash light.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I have the whole rear panel with bumpers that I just removed from my car, if you are going to get one let me know as I wont need it and would sell it..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great! i guess cars.com had an outdated webpage then.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks, i'll keep this in mind. I live in the SF Bay Area, i'll get some dimensions & wgt & figure out the shipping costs from Ohio.

# I have the whole rear panel with bumpers that I just removed from my car, if you are going to get one let me know as I wont need it and would sell it..

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Uh...those bumperettes don't do a whole lot, but it's your call.

For best results:

Don't parallel park it.

Try to park in single spots away from the other cars. This may mean walking a little bit.

Don't let other people drive it or wash it.

SLOWLY in and out of driveways, especially at gas stations.

Have fun!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
However, i learned from my local dealer that the 08's have these hard-rubber pads flanking the rear license plate- which may prevent damage to the rear clam in a parallel-parking situation.
Only if another Lotus with rear bumpers backs into you.
Otherwise I'm pretty sure they're useless...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Biodan,

If I am not mistaken, those bumperettes were designed by Lotus in conjunction with rear clam reinforcements and are connected to the chassis. If they do work at all, they're suppose to work together as a system. Maybe somebody can chime in on this.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Biodan,

If I am not mistaken, those bumperettes were designed by Lotus in conjunction with rear clam reinforcements and are connected to the chassis. If they do work at all, they're suppose to work together as a system. Maybe somebody can chime in on this.
Yes that is true. There is more than just the bumperettes at work here. This change occured on all Elises and Exiges built after December 2006. There were early 07 built before that date that do not have the bumpers (like mine :clap:).

The clams are different - although they look the same from the outside - the structure underneath is revised. Check out the part #'s and you will see they are different.

Lotus acknowledges these do very little for protection - in fact there was a presentation at last years LOG that detailed the thought process involved to find a way around the federal exemption that was expiring for the bumpers. The rationale behind how this was filed with the government claims the clam is essentially a bumper.

The bigger concern - beyond the weight gain - is that this system will likely transfer impact to the chasis - which is already fragile in its construction and is not a repairable item. Therefore - if a minor impact transfers the damage to the chasis - they the car will likely be totalled rather than just requiring body repair.

I would not attempt to retrofit this to an older Elise or Exige - there is no point, it isn't cost effective (after all is said and done you might as well have bought a new one) and will not make you safer or protect your car any better. :no:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Don't parallel park? If the spaces are pre-designated, you'll have TONS of room! Colorado parking spaces can fit 2 Elises due to all the earth-moving behemoth SUV monstrosities.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
What really are the odds of a kid hitting you with the front tire of his big wheel, at less than 5 mph, in that exact spot? I think that is the only thing they would help.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
second - many 05's have both oil coolers (mid year change) - but certainly all 05 WITH sport pack do have 2 oil coolers.

....then again it is lotus - so you never really know for sure untill you poke up in the side vents in the front with a flash light.
lol hells yeh, my car came with the touring soft top, and dont' have the touring pack!

p.s. the bumperettes are worthless

1 - 17 of 17 Posts