The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a naturally aspirated engine, the Lotus Stage 2 exhaust emits a beautiful burp-and-pop sound!

It seems as though the Lotus Stage 3 exhaust was specifically designed for the Elise SC - see page 17 of the Lotus Sport 2008 E-brochure.

So, is it possible for a super-charged engine to emit a similar burp-and-pop sound?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Only if your pour beer in the gas tank !

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I have some serious pops, gurgles, back fires on deceleration with my tubular 4" ultra on my Exige S.

·
Registered
815 Posts
So it is possible!

Please elaborate on your aftermarket intake.

The intake is a TopSpeed Pro1 with K&N filter. The aluminum tube was 2.9" ID, so i did a bbmod and cut the stock MAF tube from the factory airbox, and cut the aluminum tube shorter to accomodate. The intake now works perfect (caused all types of problems before because of the larger ID).

·
Registered
485 Posts
Does anyone here even own a Elise SC?

The only one I remember is one owner who traded a NA Elise for an SC. He might be the best one to answer this question.

Otherwise I can't recall any other posters on LT that own the Elise SC.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Does anyone here even own a Elise SC?

The only one I remember is one owner who traded a NA Elise for an SC. He might be the best one to answer this question.

Otherwise I can't recall any other posters on LT that own the Elise SC.
I don't think this thread is only about the SC Elise, it is about SC Lotus 2ZZ.

I had a SC Elise for a weekend a while back and I loved it, it is a great car, I was very impressed. I don't remember it popping much but it had the stock exhaust.
:shift:

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The pops and gurgles on deceleration occur because some fuel is still burning when the exhaust valve opens, or is reignited upon hitting the header pipe.

Factors may include:

cam timing,
exhaust back pressure,
ignition timing,
mixture (fuel maps),
cylinder pressure and temperature,
etc.; things that may contribute to the fact that some audible burning is going on downstream from the cylinder itself

Now some of those things might be changed at the same time the supercharger is installed; most especially those factors that can be changed via retuning the ECM, but the supercharger itself shouldn't have any effect.

xtn

·
Registered
157 Posts
Gotta love the sound that comes outta that pipe and i feel sorry for the person next to me at 8k rpm :D

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
My Exige S with the stage 2 exhaust pops and gurgles VERY loudly on deceleration.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Plenty of pops and burps here. The car does have more of a growl with the S/C as well. I am using Quicksilver w/ stock manifold.
Yummy sounds.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I have an Exige S with the N/A stage 2 - just like the cup cars use...

Mine pops and burbles just like my 06 N/A Exige did with a stage 2. The S specific stage 2 or "stage 3" as referred to above is quieter on a S than the N/A stage 2 is on an S. I have compared mine to others and everyone in proximity agrees that the N/A stage 2 on a S is much louder - including the pops and burbles.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took a 2008 Elise SC for a test drive and the burp-and-pop note just wasn't there.

Is replacing the standard SC stage 3 exhaust with the stage 2 an option?

Would there be any negative impact (power, etc) in doing so?

My concern is that the stage 3 exhaust may have been specifically designed for the Elise SC.

Thanks for the responses!

Keep them coming!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts